Sponsored by:

New changes in PCM 3.0 for iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 firmware

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:42 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New changes in PCM 3.0 for iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 firmware

I just noticed tonight that the new iOS 4.2.1 firmware for iPhone now supports "inband ringing" or transfer of ringtone via Bluetooth. What this means is that the ringtone in your iPhone will ring the same in the PCM 3.0. It probably affects other versions of iPhone, too, but I can't verify that.

In previous iOS versions, I was able to choose a ringtone in the PCM (by going into the Ringtone Settings menu), and set the ringtone volume accordingly. But starting with the iOS 4.2.1 firmware, that's no longer possible because of the inband ringing. The Ringtone Settings menu in the PCM is actually grayed out and you cannot choose your ringtone in PCM.

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my PCM because I didn't hear the usual ringtone when someone called. But it all clears up on page 60 in the PCM 3.0 manual.

According to the manual, if a Bluetooth cell phone supports inband ringing, the Ringtone Settings in PCM menu will be grayed out and the ringtone must be setup on the cell phone. The cool thing about this is that if you setup a special ringtone for a contact, when you get a call from that same contact, the same ringtone will ring on your car's speakers.

Does anybody else notice the same thing?

Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Makes sense, though it would be nice if the PCM gave you the option to ignore inband rining capability and over-ride it with the PCM ringing options. If you really want it, I wonder if you can turn in-band ringing off from the cell phone device?

The important thing in a cell phone ring for me, is that
1) I hear it (with the phone in my pocket walking in a talking crowd, or in the car with the road noise )
2) That I don't mistake it for something other than my phone ringing (ie I don't think its a song playing)
Funnily enough, those two constraints are actually non-trivial to meet.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no option to turn off the in-band ringing in iPhone and PCM doesn't give you the option to override it either. It'd be nice to have that option, I concur.

Quick Reply: New changes in PCM 3.0 for iPhone with iOS 4.2.1 firmware