Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunerhill Track Day on the 27th anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Thunerhill Track Day on the 27th anyone?

I was looking at options to get a track day fix, and saw that Thunderhill (the CA one, not the Texas one) has an event on the 27th with a very reasonable fee. Check it out on their home page. I called the organizers today and there is still space, and no rain is expected that day (although it's too far ahead to know for sure). Let me know if anyone else is interested..........they have novice and advanced groups, and it would be nice to have a few 997s around.

This will be the first time I'll be on the track with the 997, so I was wondering if I could get some advice from those who have tracked their cars a bit. I have a 2006 C2S Cab all stock, and was wondering specifically how the brakes would hold up. I have tracked Thunderhill many times and know the track well, just not this car on track yet. Can they withstand heavy track use...........someone told me they are the same brakes as the 997.1 Turbo, in which case I assume they can take track duty (Turbo may weigh less, but its stopping from higher speeds). Anything else I should pay attention to, be wary of with the 997 on track besides have fun and keep the shiny side up?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never had any problems w/ the brakes on my 08S. Even after about 1.5 hours of open track (at TH) they held up very well. Insofar as how the S handles, you've driven the track so you know it - I'm not a very great track driver but my experience has been:

1. Going through turn 3 (which, as you know is a bit off cambre), once the car settles you can really hit it but make sure you're in position to take turn 4 properly, otherwise you may get a bit unsettled.

2. In the cyclone you really have to hit the apex and let the car settle going down the hill. I got on the gas waaay to early once and had all sorts of lights go off (that's when I appreciated the PSM stands for "please save me".

3. Turns 6, 7 and 8 are pretty straight forward. You can run as fast as your ability and courage will let you. The S handles those gentle turns very well. The small bit of run off that was added right after Turn 8 really helps you keep up the speed going up the hill into turn 9.

4. If you're a good driver (and pretty much everyone is better than me), your S will let you brake really hard and late going into turn 9 so when you crest the hill you can already be on the gas. It shouldn't be a problem catching 4th and really piling on the speed into turn 10.

5. Turn 10. You carry a lot of speed into 10 and the brakes are really capable of slowing you down really quickly here. Experiment and you'll learn very quickly that you can brake late into Turn 10 and carry a good amount of speed into Turn 11

6. I've only really "Hit" turn 11 a handful of times. One instructor told me to take it stupid slow to settle the car so you can fly through the Turn 12 and 13 esses. When you get the braking down here the S will explode up to turn 14. On the few times I really hit 12 and 13 properly I was able to hit 120+ going into 14 but always backed off b/c, despite a fair bit of instruction I've probably only got the line right less than five times going through 14 and 15.

You mentioned you knew the track so sorry for the repetition. If you go experiment w/ the braking zones and your position going in to the turns. It has been said before, the brakes on the S are very capable and able to handle a lot more abuse that I'm able to give them. Would love to join in on the fun but an inner ear virus is keeping me on the side streets and barely able to drive 55 mph on the highway.

"Keep the shiny side up?" In (bi)cycling we always said, "Keep the rubber side down". Guess that's the same thing.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:11 AM
kw_1055
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same car and track T-hill often.
The brake is fine.
After I got into the higher run group, I start changing the pad to Pagid yellow.
It makes a difference especially in the hot summer.

Sounds like a new car to you. Have you check the brake fluid? Don't want any water in it for track.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I put thousands of track miles on my 07 C2S Cab with the stock brakes and never had any problems, even in the Texas summer heat. The stock pads are a bit on the soft side, but they won't fade -- they just grind down pretty fast when they get hot. As long as you've still got a fair bit of pad material left you should do just fine. If you can't remember the last time you had a brake fluid flush and fill, it's probably worth getting some fresh brake fluid as well. Stock fluid is DOT4 which is sufficient, but you can spring for super blue or another name brand performance brake fluid if that inspires confidence for you.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, you CA guys have it made, running tracks in December!

Quick Reply: Thunerhill Track Day on the 27th anyone?