Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for a porsche, but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Ready for a porsche, but which one?

Hello,
I'm a longtime lurker and this is my first time posting here. I've already done lots of searching and just finished reading " The used 911 Story" but I'm still not sure what 911 would suit me best.

I've been a huge porsche fan since I was a teen. The first bad boy movie with the 964 Turbo made me an even bigger fan....

Through the years I've owned two 300zx Twin Turbos (fully modded), '02 540, and I just sold my 335i convertible with a fair bit of mods..

The 300zx was a performer, but after driving a 997S I realized how good a porsche really is. The precise shifting, perfect weighted clutch, and throttle response that turbo cars can only dream of.

I got out of the 335i because it was just too plain even with the added power of the mods.

I'd like to keep my budget at 45k or lower. This will allow me to jump into a 05-06 997, maybe a 997S if I get lucky and most earlier 911 models as well.

I'm considering the 911sc, and the 993 in addition to a 997. It's going to be a third car that gets driven on Fridays and weekends. I want a car that is going be fun, and I've read that the 911sc and the 993 give you that true "911" raw feel. I just wonder after coming from a 335 and my daily driver Nissan Titan, will the old cars just feel too old? Am I better off sticking to the advise and get the newest one I can find for the budget?

Cheers..
Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 2005 or 2006 997S. (make sure its Certified Pre-Owned)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked through the 993s, but the premium that they command right now was not to my liking, particularly because of some of the characteristics of an older car (15 years is a long time).

I use my P-car almost daily so the creature comforts and ease of daily driving were a big factor. I ended up not liking the floor mounted pedals and rear end "Happiness" of the 993s. The older P-cars are very special in their nostalgia, and look, but the do drive a bit older in that there is more noise, less creature comforts, etc.

I found a nice 06 (non-S) with plenty of CPO left for a good deal. There are deals to be had, especially if someone is selling in the winter. It will depend on where you are, and what market you are in.

Drive them all and see what suits you. One will jump out at you over the others. It is a personal choice.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would agree that the older cars won't satisfy you because the hp numbers will be too low. Whatever you get, I recommend staying away from four-wheel drive cars -- I have found they don't give the sporty feel that I look for in these cars. There are some motivated sellers out there with 996 GT3's that will come in the $40k-$50k range if you are willing to shop and negotiate hard, which, in a buyers market like we are seeing, is a good way to go. My car is a blast to drive! (It's not for sale . . .)
Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uptheorg
I would agree that the older cars won't satisfy you because the hp numbers will be too low. Whatever you get, I recommend staying away from four-wheel drive cars -- I have found they don't give the sporty feel that I look for in these cars. There are some motivated sellers out there with 996 GT3's that will come in the $40k-$50k range if you are willing to shop and negotiate hard, which, in a buyers market like we are seeing, is a good way to go. My car is a blast to drive! (It's not for sale . . .)
How so??? when there are so much rear bias on the C4S. Under normal driving conditions, it's 95% rear wheel drive, and up to 40% up front if needed.

To the OP, be patient, when I was looking I did see a 2005 C2S for $44K with really high miles. The car didn't last long.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah I think you can certainly find an '05 c2s with CPO in the low 40k range if you look. I would go for this if i were in your shoes. I love the classic feel of the older cars but if you can only have one I'd recommend that you'll probably enjoy the modern performance of a 997.

You should be able to easily test drive one at a dealer. I recommend you test drive a few before you commit.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

You have come to the right place. There are a lot of very smart people on this board. One thing I have seen most advise is "to buy the newest Porsche you can afford." That still gives you so many great choices-Boxseter, Cayman, 911 (C2, S, 4S, Turbo). And the list goes on and on. I love them all, and if I could I would own every one of them. I would test drive as many as possible, get as much seat time as possible, attend as many car shows as possible. In the end you will find the one that's right for you. Have fun in your search and hope to see the pics of your new ride soon.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
signature65
Instructor

Originally Posted by uptheorg
Ya the HP numbers dont have any effect on driving enjoyment. My 73 is in all honesty much more fun to drive than my 997. The feel is much more viseral and connected. However the older 911's are not the best DD's strictly because they are....well, old!

You should drive one of every style you like to find the one that best suits your needs and tastes. I love both my911's and they are very different cars.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Sukhi, welcome to RL. My sincere advice to every newbie who is in the market for a 911 is to first decide which model to buy. Air-coooled vs water cooled. If air -cooled then 911SC vs 3.2 vs 964 vs 993. You have read Pete Z's guide. That's good. But even better, you should drive a good example of each model to really know your likes/dislikes. For air-cooled models, once you decide the model buy a car for its mechanical condition not it's technical specification. So forget about which color/gear-box/no. of owners. Be a little flexible re: coupe vs cab vs targa.

Let me tell you this. Once I got my 997, I lusted for air-cooled earlier this year. A car that did not have creature comforts like Bose, PSM, heated seats, navigation and all the frills that distract you from the actual driving.

Knowing your budget, driving needs ie DD, snow/ice exposure etc would help us give you the right advice. You will be spending some $$ every year on maintenance even on good examples of air-cooled 911's. For a casual drive/third car nothing comes close to the pre-89 911s. 964 and 993s are very much more modern cars. I was in your position earier this yr and after several months of research narrowed it down to pre-964 era.

Let me tell you why I went for the 3.2 which are a real driver's cars, a Porsche in the classic mould and then you can either consider it or strike it off your list based on my thoughts.

Some of my thoughts on a 3.2:

1. It is the last 911 to show case the classic appeal and remains one of the easiest 911's to own.
2. The 3.2 engine is one tough and long lasting unit.
3. Very easily serviceable and DIY'er friendly.
4. It has no ABS, no power steering no airbags, and has a torsion bar suspension...making it a MAN's car.
5. The looks, the sound (which is intoxicating above 4500 RPM), the stunning build quality, the handling
(writhing steering wheel)....is something that has to be experienced first hand.

Having said that many will tell you that 993 is the best air-cooled 911. I can't argue with that. They are right. But to me I wanted more of a retro-feel and looks since it was my third car. The pre-964 had the whale tail, iconic Fuch's wheel, torsion bar suspension...how can one go wrong with that combo ?

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-14-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

All you seem to be driving are "modern" cars so a 911SC will seem like an antique to you. Ditto for the 993. Perhaps not right away, but soon, especially when the creature comforts start to be intermittent.

I would suggest that if you buy a used 997 you will find that you will drive it more and more than the other things you have in the garage. So, think about that.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd lean toward the more modern option (997). but i might suggest keeping an open mind and drive a cayman S.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

For a daily driver, I would go with a 996 or 997. For a weekend driver, I would also consider a 993 or 964. For my weekend driver, I started looking at 993s but ended up with a leftover 2008 997S with less than 100 miles and perhaps only $15K higher in price than the best 993s out there.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
How so??? when there are so much rear bias on the C4S. Under normal driving conditions, it's 95% rear wheel drive, and up to 40% up front if needed.

To the OP, be patient, when I was looking I did see a 2005 C2S for $44K with really high miles. The car didn't last long.
I think many of us have found that the AWD cars feel less sporty because of the heavier front end and slightly less responsive steering. Not disappointing in my case, just different.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:59 PM
racer
Drifting

Sounds like you enjoy boost.. which to me says 996TT. N/A motors wouldn't excite you as much imho. Certainly can be found in your budget. Plenty of aftermarket mods available (although many out here would encourage seat time and track driving vs blind modding of your car)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

buy the latest model you can afford....or my 996 about to go on the market!

Quick Reply: Ready for a porsche, but which one?