Sponsored by:

DME/ECU issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DME/ECU issue

So I'm in the middle of performing the Softronic ECU flash. I successfully upload the info from my ECU to the Softronic server but then get a message back that the VIN for my car isn't/hasn't been programmed into the ECU and it reads as a 'generic' ECU. Apparently now I have to go to the dealer to get the VIN programmed in before the flash file can be sent to me.

My question is what to make of the fact my ECU doesn't contain my car's VIN. Does this mean my ECU has been replaced at some point? Could the PO have tried a flash and 'cleared' the VIN? Other explanations? Should I expect any hassle from the dealer on this?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
So I'm in the middle of performing the Softronic ECU flash. I successfully upload the info from my ECU to the Softronic server but then get a message back that the VIN for my car isn't/hasn't been programmed into the ECU and it reads as a 'generic' ECU. Apparently now I have to go to the dealer to get the VIN programmed in before the flash file can be sent to me.

My question is what to make of the fact my ECU doesn't contain my car's VIN. Does this mean my ECU has been replaced at some point? Could the PO have tried a flash and 'cleared' the VIN? Other explanations? Should I expect any hassle from the dealer on this?
Interesting...you should ask Scott Slausen what he thinks.

Quick Reply: DME/ECU issue