Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When one gets a new tranny......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
LENELSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When one gets a new tranny......

When one gets a new tranny, does that include clutch, pressure plate, etc ???
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say typically not, though those items probably should be refreshed when you go with a new trans. Depends on the circumstances.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Porsche no. They aren't internal transmission parts. I would check them for wear though when replacing the trans. If worn replace as its a "while your in there" thing.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by LENELSA
When one gets a new tranny, does that include clutch, pressure plate, etc ???
Under some special circumstances, yes, if for some reason the need of a new transmission has resulted in damage or excessive wear/tear to the clutch.

Regardless of the reason why the transmission is being replaced, while it is out of the car the clutch hardware needs to be inspected and replaced if the tech deems it necessary either due to excessive (though possibly normal) wear or due to some other reason. Also the reason needs to be understood so the underlying cause of the premature clutch replacement can be found and fixed.

But under normal circumstances, no.

For example: My 03 996 Turbo's 6-speed developed a leak -- around a selector shaft seal -- and the transmission was replaced under the car's CPO warranty.

New (actually I think the transmission was a remanufactured one) was installed. The various clutch components were checked for wear and such but were found to be quite in good shape (IIRC this occured around the 35K mile mark) and were not replaced.

Of course, had any of the clutch components been in need of replacement I would have been on the hook for the cost both for the parts and some labor though since the tranny was out the labor charge for tranny R&R would have been absorbed by the warranty transmission replacement.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: When one gets a new tranny......