Sponsored by:

06 C2S Cab Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 C2S Cab Starting Issue

I was hoping someone here might be able to help since the dealer has been no help at all.

I'm having an issue with starting my 06 C2S Cab. Sometimes I get in the car and turn the key and the car starts no problem. Other times, I get in the car and turn the key and it doesn't turn over. I simply hear a click and then everything lights up like normal. If I continue to repeatly turn the key, eventually it will start.

The first time this happened, I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't find any issue besides the battery, so they replaced it and since it's not a warranty item I had to pay parts and labor which is another issue altogether. I take the car from the dealer and then very next day the same issue is back. I take the car to them again and again they cannot find any issues and they cannot duplicate the problem. They suggest perhaps it's my starting technique and I told them I drove the car for 1.5 years without any issues so what could I possibly be doing wrong. They suggested my carpet was riding up, or I didn't hold the key in the start position long enough or I wasn't pressing the clutch all the way down. Reluctantly I leave the dealer after about 5 hours of waiting and take the car home with me. The very next day I drive the car the issue happens again. This time I paid extra attention to ensure I wasn't going any of the starting technique issues they highlighted. To be certain I waited for it to happen a second time and surely enough it happened the subsequent time again. I told the dealer I'm dropping off the car today and that I'm not taking it back until they replace something. I live about 1.5-2 hour drive from the dealership so it's really inconvenient to go there.

Anyone else experience a similar issue?

What do you suggest I do? Should I hold the dealer to task to get something fixed this go around? I plan on leaving my car with them as long as it takes since I don't drive it in the winter anyway.

HELP!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
fp997
Cruisin'

Is it the starter? When you start the car, pay attention to the dash lights. Turn to first click, see if lights are there, and turn to second click (i.e. to start the car), and see if the lights flicker/dim as the engine turns over. If the engine doesn't turn over yet the lights flicker/dim, then typically your starter motor is on the way out. If the lights don't flicker/dim (not even sure if Porsche do under a normal start -- haven't paid attention to mine), there may still be a starter problem or ignition switch problem.

I've had starters go bad on other cars and it is as you described. Over time it will become more frequent -- to the point where you have to spend 5 minutes trying to get the car to start.

I've also heard other members talking about some sort of cable -- perhaps somebody could chime in. Supposedly there is a cable (ground?) under the car somewhere which doesn't have a good connection over time.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:34 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I am surprised the dealer is acting as if he doesn't know anything. This is typical of an ignition switch that is failing. It is a rather well-known problem with the earlier 996/997's and Boxsters. Porsche redesigned the ignition switch to solve the issue, but I am not sure if the 2006's have the new design. Take it to another dealer that is a little more knowledgeable, and ask them to look at the ignition switch as a possible cause.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I will mention that tonight when I bring the car to the dealer. If it turns out the issue was the ignition switch, I will ask for the to compensate me for the battery and the labor for it's installation since it was not the issue at all.

I told them it wasn't the battery because the car would start. This is madness. My problem is I'm just too nice to them over there. I need to be more of an a-hole.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe at least some of the 06 cars have an undersized cable somewhere in the starter circuit, and that it should be replaced on applicable cars as a recall item. I'm not sure if this would explain your symptoms, but you might want to enquire about it.
I've had no issues with my 06 C2S cab.....yet.
Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by MJPereira
Thanks for the advice. I will mention that tonight when I bring the car to the dealer. If it turns out the issue was the ignition switch, I will ask for the to compensate me for the battery and the labor for it's installation since it was not the issue at all.

I told them it wasn't the battery because the car would start. This is madness. My problem is I'm just too nice to them over there. I need to be more of an a-hole.
It's most probably the starter motor cable harness. It is a known issue on some earlier 997s (there's a TSB on that). If your car is under warranty they should take care of that, if not, a good dealer might arrange goodwill from PCNA.

Given your dealer experience, if I were you i would find a better dealer/service department.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

I just got a call from the dealer and they said no loaner cars are available tonight so I shouldn't bother bringing in my car. If this just doesn't take the cake. I drove my car to work which I never do since it's about a 65 miles drive just for this purpose and now I have to take it back and come another day? Tomorrow I work from home so that won't work and this weekend we're supposed to have a snow in NJ and I have summer tires on the car. I won't be able to drive in the snow. This is just madness.

ADias, I think you're right, time for a new dealer. Time to start making some phone calls.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Kevin and ADias are correct that some 06's have a problem with the cable from the alternator to the starter, however the usual symptom with that problem is slow cranking, all the time. If the car sometimes starts normally and other times does not even crank, then both the harness and the ignition switch should be checked.

If you don't mind my asking, what dealer are you dealing with in Jersey? I lived and owned Porsches there before, so I am just curious.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM
fp997
Cruisin'

Ignition switch or starter perhaps.

Pay attention to the dash lights as you turn the key. If they dim/flicker when the engine is supposed to grind, then it may be the starter.

I had a starter go on a car before, and it gradually got worse over time. I.e. over the course of several weeks, it wouldn't start once. Then over the next 2 weeks, it became more common, until it took 5 minutes to start it (having to keep on turning the key).

You could also test by testing voltages on the starter motor to see if its ignition switch or the starter motor (basically seeing if starter gets any current -- b/c if it does, the ignition switch is likely okay).
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You seem to be having a very poor runaround from that service center.

I have yet to have heard of a problem with an ignition switch on a 997, but I have heard of several problenms with that starter cable.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're from New Jersey. Why be so nice?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the clutch switch? I read on another forum that these do fail
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I'm going thru the same issue. I had 2 issues. 1st was a slow crank when starting.....I asked about the wiring harness and the dealer said they would check it out. They said the harness was fine, checked the battery and it was fine but said the starter motor was drawing high amps when starting so replaced the starter motor. That fixed that problem. Night and day difference!
2nd issue was what you describe.....key in ignition and when I turn to start, NOTHING happens. Dealer said it could be the carpet pushed up under the clutch (I said no because I took the mat out when doing my own trouble shooting),
Then he said it was the clutch switch. They said they "tested" it and it was bad so they replaced it. Well, the problem is back. Turn the key and nothing happens. Turn the key to the left and then try again and it starts.
Guess I'll have to go back and start asking more questions.
Just went out of warranty so the dealer did it under goodwill (75% dealer, 25% me of the cost) Frustrating, trying to get these things fixed. Half the time I think they are just guessing!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Originally Posted by fgv1it
Kevin and ADias are correct that some 06's have a problem with the cable from the alternator to the starter, however the usual symptom with that problem is slow cranking, all the time. If the car sometimes starts normally and other times does not even crank, then both the harness and the ignition switch should be checked.

If you don't mind my asking, what dealer are you dealing with in Jersey? I lived and owned Porsches there before, so I am just curious.
I bought my car from Town Motor Porsche in Edgewater. The service has always been disappointing as I've had to go back numerous times for the same issue on two occasions.

I just dropped my car off today at Knopf Porsche in Allentown PA. I live on the NJ PA border so this works for me for now. Hopefully they'll fix something.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

UPDATE: Well if this just doesn't take the cake. I'm told that the issue is a part called the cable loom (part# 99760701903) and that it will cost me over $400 to fix is because it's not a covered part. What the hell is a covered part then? When I check my warranty that I received when I bought the car pre-owned there is no mention of this not being a covered part with the exception of the clause stating Normal wear and tear parts are not covered. I find it hard to believe that this would be considered a normal wear and tear part. What options do I have in getting this part covered?

Right now I think what would make me happiest is getting rid of the damn car which is now causing me more heartache than enjoyment.

Quick Reply: 06 C2S Cab Starting Issue