Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future owner - Exhaust, Leather, 2/4WD Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

Get a 997.1S with stock exhaust, if you can't find a nice one with PSE. Then do the Gundo Hack. I'm very pleased with mine. Check here and the other forums and maybe you can find someone local that has it so you can hear what it's about. IMHO, it takes the stock 'hair-dryer' exhaust note and makes it a bit deeper, with a bit of a growl after 3lk RPMs.
I went the DPfister (sp?) route and couldn't be happier. Do some searches (Gundo hack) here to get more info on that if you're interested, or PM me if necessary.

Also - I had a 964 C4, but decided early on that I should have bought a C2. Now I have a C2S and I'm very happy with my decision. 4WD is not necessary unless you're driving in alot of snow. The extra weight is not worth it otherwise. The widebody is not very noticable, even to me, and I'm pretty enthusiastic. To the point that I put an aftermarket widebody kit on the 964. In that vintage (pre 997, actually( widebody meant about 2" per side. In the 997 paradigm, it's less than one inch per side. Also - the .2 has the C4 rear lighting change and the .1 does not - even more reason (really a nit, at best admittedly) to skip 4WD for a .1

Good luck!!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the soundproffing in a coupe means the engine is pretty quiet - nothing like the sound you get in a cab. If you're not going to get a cab then I wouldn't bother with the PSE.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I have a C2. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a C2S with an X-51 package. That, IMHO is the best Porsche ever.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

I'm living in Houston now. Looks like I bought some of the Canadian winter down with with. It's been colder than I expected.

I was out helping a work colleague look for a 2008 Honda TSX and called in at Momentum to see what they had. I keep an eye on all the local dealers as well as Autotrader and the Porsche web site.

This one had just come in and it caught my eye:

http://www.momentumporsche.com/certi...seHistory=true

A 2008 C4S in GT metalic silver with 11k miles with CPO. Interior is two tone full leather split so that the steering wheel and upper half of the dashboard are black and the lower half, seats and carpet are grey. As options it has:

Turbo wheels
Sports exhaust
6 disc CD changer
Sat Nav
Electric standard seats
Heated seats
Self dimming wing mirrors
Sports chrono plus
Floor mats
5mm wheel spacers
Side skirts
Bose high end sound package

Very nice, most of the options I want. I wasn't thinking of a silver one before or a grey interior but it looked good with the black upper half to the dash and full leather.

They are asking 66k for it. KBB is 73K in excellent condition. I noticed that it has a K&N style cold air intake which I would want putting back to the original air box. It also has a really heavy tint on the glass which can easily be removed.

Checking the carfax report though it's had three owners which I'm worried about:

1st April 2008 - November 2009
2nd January 2010 - August 2010
3rd August 2010 - present

Is the price fair? Would this many owners and the short length of time the last owner had it worry you?

Last edited by FiatCoupe; 01-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:01 PM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

I bought a 997.2 form Momentum in Houston last May. I found them professional and very competetive compared to other dealers I talked with. If it's any help, I paid about $2600 less than the asking price which I felt was reasonable to begin with. I also found that they moved there cars fairly quickly compared to many other dealers.

With respect to the car you're looking at, I think the price is a touch high. Keep in mind that GT silver is a $4000 option and some dealers perceive it to be more desirable, but imo it doesn't make it any more valuable as a used car...very nice color though. 3 previous owners concerns me a little as you never know what kind of owners they were. But if the car is CPO and cosmetically as good as a low mileage car should be, it may not be an issue. If you're serious, ask them for the CPO report including DME readout. This should answer any concerns about possible abuse in the past. If you do buy the car, the history of 4 previous owners may scare off a few buyers ?? One thing I did notice from the pictures is that the stance looks a little lower than a stock car with PASM. I'd ask if it's been lowered ( I may be wrong but it's an easy visual check for a mechanic) and if so, make sure you compare the ride with an unmodified car. I also just noticed that the options listed in their ad don't include Nav , sport exhaust, or full leather and it states the color is Arctic silver, not GT !

Keep in mind as well that there are many of these cars out there, and from what I've seen, prices are coming down !!

Last edited by force4rmr; 01-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I have a C2. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten a C2S with an X-51 package. That, IMHO is the best Porsche ever.
X51 was a pretty bad deal if you paid Porsche for it on a new car, but it is an outrageously good deal when you find it on used cars because it barely bumps the price at all. Knowing what I know now, I also wish I would have tried harder to find an X51 car.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 AM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Sorry, my mistake, it is Arctic Silver not GT Silver.

I took it for a test drive whilst I was there. How the previous owner was able to drive with that much tint is beyond me! If definately has Sat Nav and a sports exhaust. It only came up for sale today and as yet I can't see it on the Porsche search site which I've discovered is usually a good way of seeing what factory fitted options it has.

There may be a perfectly valid reason for the number of previous owners but I fear, as you do, that it would affect the resale value. It always makes me nervous when I see a realtively large number of owners in a short period of time. The second owner only did 1500 miles in it. Makes you think that maybe there is an issue with it and they want rid.

It does look lowered. I'll speak to Chidi on Monday and raise my concerns with him.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 AM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

They have it up on ebay as well....definately looks a little lowered, and carfax is showing 4 previous owners !
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Houston is the wide-open spaces with a warm climate, so no, you won't need 4WD to deal with snow there. However, there are other benefits to 4WD than just driving in snow. 4WD is far superior on anything involving fast, sharp turns, be it autocross or windy mountain roads.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's one you may be interested in http://cars.chron.com/5660-WP0AB2999...gOverview.aspx

The description looks off since the VIN comes up a an S with X51.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:09 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

regardless of the number of owners, i think they are asking a very low price, most 08 4S with that low of mileage and CPO are running upper 60s to low 70s. I just bought a used 07 4S and noticed most people dont budge much on price with these cars and are pricing them to sell, ebay is a good indicator and youll see most of the cars on there like this one are selling for more.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:05 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i think the PSE is nice but not required so I would exclude a car just cuz it doesnt have the PSE. If it doesnt you can alway add one and not necessarily PSE. Listen to the TUBI.
yeah - don't rule out non-PSE cars. I've got PSE but am considering putting Tubi headers on anyway so I get more noise. that and keep the PSE on full time (that switch is silly)

my 996 PSE was way louder than my 997 version....kinda weird

Quick Reply: Future owner - Exhaust, Leather, 2/4WD Questions