Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant find the source of that slow tire leak...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default cant find the source of that slow tire leak...?

...no matter how hard you try? no nails/punctures/valve issues you can identify and it's driving you crazy??? WELL, same here! ...until i borrowed our bathtub a few times to look for air bubbles.

not sure if this will help anyone but thought i'd post a helpful hint - it may be the bar code sticker (?) on the inside of tire lip. i narrowed the leak down to an exact area on the rim and when i took it in to shop, yep, was a sticker there. he said it happens sometimes even after a few years - the sticker can get old, crack, wet, etc, which can all contribute to a bad seal. maybe it should have been removed during initial install but whatever, it's all good.

fwiw...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a problem like that years ago on my Bimmer. Turns out it was a clever vandalism technique that they must have learned in the slammer Vandalism and Burglary classes. The d-bag ice-picked the tire very close to the bead. The result was an unfixable tire that had a very slow leak which drove me nuts for weeks.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

Hmm, bathtub and Porsche. Where have I heard that association before?
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
...no matter how hard you try? no nails/punctures/valve issues you can identify and it's driving you crazy??? WELL, same here! ...until i borrowed our bathtub a few times to look for air bubbles.

not sure if this will help anyone but thought i'd post a helpful hint - it may be the bar code sticker (?) on the inside of tire lip. i narrowed the leak down to an exact area on the rim and when i took it in to shop, yep, was a sticker there. he said it happens sometimes even after a few years - the sticker can get old, crack, wet, etc, which can all contribute to a bad seal. maybe it should have been removed during initial install but whatever, it's all good.

fwiw...
Had the same issue - Michelin likes to put the white bar code label real close to the bead. Only one tire - the rest were OK.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you didnt need the 356, cuold just overinflate a little and dribble soapy water on it. the slow leak will cause it to blow a soap bubble.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
you didnt need the 356, cuold just overinflate a little and dribble soapy water on it. the slow leak will cause it to blow a soap bubble.
yep, usu i'd agree, but been there, tried that...nuttin. not sure if it's because of the rim/tire gap (metal to rubber, as opposed to a "regular" puncture that is entirely within rubber area) or the fact that it was SUPER slow - only losing about a lb per week, but the soap trick didnt work. it wasnt til i overinflated to about 45lbs and put it in the tub for a 3rd time that i noticed one bubble...the next one didnt come out for another 6 mins or so. (yes, i timed it. no, i had nothing to do on the day after thanksgiving. yes, i'm very lucky my wife puts up with me, yatta yatta.)

Quick Reply: cant find the source of that slow tire leak...?