Sponsored by:

Planning a trip to Germany this summer

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Planning a trip to Germany this summer

I'd love to tour the factory but there are two listed on the site. Are they both the same or does one produce certain cars. Obviously, I'd want to check out the one that builds the 911's.

I'll be using Frankfurt as my home base since we have family there and we plan on taking short two day trips branching out from there.

I was hoping to rent a car but the porsche rental prices are a tad steep for me. I've heard you can get an M3 from Avis at a reasonable rate. Since I'll have my two small kids and wife that might be a nice ride.

Any other suggestions on things to see?
I'll probably go for two weeks and will have to do family stuff as well. I wish I could just say "Honey, drop me off at the ring and I'll see you next Tuesday!" but that's probably not going to fly.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:09 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

911's are built at Zuffenhausen a suburb of Stuttgart. All of Porsche's engines are also built there. Panamera's and Cayenne's are built at the Leipzig factory.

Make reservations for the factory tour well in advance. You will also want to see the Porsche Museum and the Mercedes Museum just a few miles away is also very worthwhile.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I are taking a similar trip (possibly picking up a Cayman R at the same time there). As it gets closer, I'll get in touch with you. If you find any good rental deals, please share the knowledge. I'll do likewise. We're flying and staying in hotels on my air miles...
Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I just spent 3 weeks in Germany this past Aug. The Zuffenhausen facility is the place you want to go and I agree, visit the Porsche museum as well as the dealer across the street.

I would also highly recommend taking a day trip to the Nurburgring, about a 2-3 hr drive from Frankfurt. The new Ringwerks center is really amazing. If your a track guy also consider renting a car from one of the Ring rental places and do a few laps. The happy hour specials are reasonable, $380 euro which includes car, gas, entry fees, insurance. It is an experience you won't forget. I had a great experience with rent-racecar.de. Very nice people and well taken car of cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 911 is 199 a day at avis. Are you referring to that as a tad steeep?
Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Have you been there before? I've done 2 driving tours thru Germany/austria with some great site seeing thrown in. Did the last one this past summer with my 15 year old daughter. Had a blast and can't wait to do it again and hopefully bring the wife as well as my son.

Feel free to PM/email me and I'll be glad to share my itinerary and you can see what will work for you.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I for sure plan on touring the factory. $200 a day is doable I was thinking I'll go with the Panamera or M3 to accommodate kids and luggage and still have a little fun.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

its 199 euro's. the pana is 189. Its including 200km a day. above that you pay 25 cent/km I belive.That's the bigger issue I guess. The cost rack up if ur going 250km/h .
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uvgaal
its 199 euro's. the pana is 189. Its including 200km a day. above that you pay 25 cent/km I belive.That's the bigger issue I guess. The cost rack up if ur going 250km/h .
Any details? Is it the Frankfurt airport Avis? 200 Euros/day isn't bad, and I'd make up for the mileage issue on the days we just walk Munich (where we'll likely home base). Thanks in advance!

Of course it'll all be moot if we pick up the Cayman R, but I'd like to have a solid rental backup.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Just check avis.de. They rent at a lot of locations. You have to book some time in advance and the best bet is of course the big airport rentals. Rented one from frankfurt airport once.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

http://www.avis.de/Fahrzeuge/Prestige-Flotte
Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Wow. Its 1 eur/km above 200km/day.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Frankfurt is the financial center and to me not as inteestng as other places. However, form there you can get to Heidelberg in about an hour. Also the Rheingau wine area is not too far. Futher south is Freiburg and the Black Forest. It is a bit of a drive but Munich is very nice ( not really do-able if Frankfurt is your base). If you go northwest to the ring you may want to check out the Mosel, Cologne and Aachen. Further north would bring you to the NRW ( North Rhein Westfalia) area which is Germany's most densly populated area. This is the area where I used to live for about 3.5 years but it is largely industrial with still some intersting places to go. One of the great things about Germany is that one does not need to drive too far to see something else. Do some research and you will find many things that will interest you.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM
911FM
Racer

Nurburgring. Not too far from Frankfurt. Definitively worth the trip. Wife and family can visit the ruins of the castle.

Enjoy your trip.

FM
Old 11-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Well, Frankfurt is where my wife's Aunt and Uncle live so we'll kinda use that as a base. Plus her cousin has kids the same age as our kids there. Her other cousin lives in Munich as well as some good friends of ours. So Muenchen is on the schedule. I figure we can head out from Frankfurt for a day or two at a time and then take a few days in Munich and then make our way back to Frankfurt. I would love top hit the Black Forest as well.

Can anyone recommend a particular drive on a particular road? We'll be there for two weeks most likely.

Quick Reply: Planning a trip to Germany this summer