Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do heavier wheels affect acceleration ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How much do heavier wheels affect acceleration ?

I am not talking about drag racing, but general acceleration of the car

My stock wheels weigh:
Front 22 Lbs. 8 Oz.
Rear 27 Lbs.

The possible replacement wheels weigh:
Front 25 Lbs. 13 Oz.
Rear 33 Lbs. 1 Oz.

I am especially concerned at the increase of 6 Lbs. at each corner at the back

What do you guys think ?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

On the street you not notice anything big. On the track after many years experience you can notice a difference in handling
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm looking at finally dropping the hammer on a dedicated set of wheels & r-comps for autocross on my 986S. It'll cost an extra $700 to shave 5lbs/wheel from the cheaper wheels, though. Will the difference be measured in tenths or hundredths?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:30 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wheels are part of the unsprung mass of a car; basically the weight that's not held up by the car's suspension. Less unsprung weight helps handling, and if part of the rotating mass, like the wheels, also has some affect on acceleration. But the greatest affect to acceleration is probably attributable to the unsprung weight factor. Rule of thumb is that 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to 6 pounds of sprung weight (some say even more). Looks like you have about 19 pounds to total added wheel weight (unsprung), which would translate to about 120 pounds of additional overall car weight (sprung).
Old 11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Olaf Manthey explains in an interview : “Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car, as a 1:6 factor has to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass. In fact, we are conservative with the 1:6 ratio, as Porsche considers it to be 1:7.

John
Old 11-26-2010, 01:32 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Olaf Manthey explains in an interview : “Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car, as a 1:6 factor has to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass. In fact, we are conservative with the 1:6 ratio, as Porsche considers it to be 1:7.

John
Thank you for the corroboration..........

..AND THE AVATAR(s)!!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
But the greatest affect to acceleration is probably attributable to the unsprung weight factor.
Probably not.

The wheels affect on acceleration is due to it being rotating mass that must be accelerated and decelerated. Nothing to due with it being unsprung.

The fact that the wheels are unsprung weight affects the cars HANDLING only.

Imagine adding 10 lbs to each caliper. That is adding unsprung weight. But it's affect on acceleration will be the same as adding 40 lbs to your passenger seat. It's just another 40 lbs you need to get moving.

Now add 10 lbs to each wheel. That weight not only increases the amount you must accelerate by 40 lbs, you also need to get that extra weight spinning, which will require even more power than adding sprung weight (pass. seat) or stationary unsprung weight (calipers).

Hope that came out somewhat clear.

Phil
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

John
“Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car" (911SLOW)

That's 33lbs of unsprung weight at the WHEELS. The reason for the 1:6 ratio is the wheels must be SPUN UP to speed. Nothing to do with it being unsprung weight.

The fact that it's unsprung effects handling only.

Losing unsprung weight at the calipers is 1:1 ratio to losing weight off your gut.

Phil
Old 11-26-2010, 01:58 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Probably not.

The wheels affect on acceleration is due to it being rotating mass that must be accelerated and decelerated. Nothing to due with it being unsprung.

The fact that the wheels are unsprung weight affects the cars HANDLING only.

Imagine adding 10 lbs to each caliper. That is adding unsprung weight. But it's affect on acceleration will be the same as adding 40 lbs to your passenger seat. It's just another 40 lbs you need to get moving.

Now add 10 lbs to each wheel. That weight not only increases the amount you must accelerate by 40 lbs, you also need to get that extra weight spinning, which will require even more power than adding sprung weight (pass. seat) or stationary unsprung weight (calipers).

Hope that came out somewhat clear.

Phil
I see what you're saying. And I'll be the first to admit I don't completely understand all the science & physics behind it. But I've read more than once that unsprung weight does have a 6:1 weight factor in terms of how it affects the overall car (I think the first time I saw it was in Fred Puhn's "How to Make Your Car Handle"). Whether it was brakes, spindles, wheels, etc. didn't matter. But I do agree that wheels and rotors do also have a rotating mass issue. Likely the 6:1 factor is an average, and maybe even skewed when you consider that most of the unsprung weight is probably associated with rotor, wheel & tire.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

^
Exactly but why you quote it? Olaf said at the wheels : )

Originally Posted by RollingArt
“Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car" (911SLOW)

That's 33lbs of unsprung weight at the WHEELS. The reason for the 1:6 ratio is the wheels must be SPUN UP to speed. Nothing to do with it being unsprung weight.

The fact that it's unsprung effects handling only.

Losing unsprung weight at the calipers is 1:1 ratio to losing weight off your gut.

Phil
Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Lesser unsprung weight also translates to an increase in the nimbleness of the car on the road/track. If you're a snow skier you can recognize that as you are working down a mogul field you can field how important extra weight can affect your ability to turn and deal with bumps--less weight to rebound, etc. You can definitely affect the handling of these cars if you aren't paying attention. For example, between lighter forged wheels and PCCBs, you can take quite a bit of weight off, which translate into the different feel you will experience on the road.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
I am not talking about drag racing, but general acceleration of the car

My stock wheels weigh:
Front 22 Lbs. 8 Oz.
Rear 27 Lbs.

The possible replacement wheels weigh:
Front 25 Lbs. 13 Oz.
Rear 33 Lbs. 1 Oz.

I am especially concerned at the increase of 6 Lbs. at each corner at the back

What do you guys think ?
From your other post about pics of the Sport Classic wheels with Meteor Grey, I assume the heavier wheels in question are the 911 Sport Classics. I too would very much like to get a set of the Fuchs style wheels, but the heavier weight is a serious consideration for me.

I do know from my own first hand experience that lighter wheels improve the handling, which can be felt on the street. Porsche engineers did their homework when they picked the original 997.1 "lobster claw" wheels as standard for the S models, as they are the lightest OEM Porsche 19" wheels for the 997.1. The Sport Classics are more for "show" and while I love the look, I'm concerned about how the added weight might affect the handling enjoyment that I derive from my car.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
From your other post about pics of the Sport Classic wheels with Meteor Grey, I assume the heavier wheels in question are the 911 Sport Classics. I too would very much like to get a set of the Fuchs style wheels, but the heavier weight is a serious consideration for me.

I do know from my own first hand experience that lighter wheels improve the handling, which can be felt on the street. Porsche engineers did their homework when they picked the original 997.1 "lobster claw" wheels as standard for the S models, as they are the lightest OEM Porsche 19" wheels for the 997.1. The Sport Classics are more for "show" and while I love the look, I'm concerned about how the added weight might affect the handling enjoyment that I derive from my car.
Correct what you say !

The Sport Classics are the wheels in case, but after checking the weights, they are too heavy !

And Fuchs Performance USA has their own Fuchs wheels in very simmilar finish (even nicer to my eyes) and with nice light weights, but at $ 5,100.00 for wheels only !!!

Last edited by 964C4; 09-26-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
signature65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^ Now those Fuchs look most like the original ones......the sport classics just have that too glossy/modern look to them.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One of these days I hope to be able to provide weights on the Fuchs USA wheels. Although expensive, they will weigh less because they are one-piece drop forged. Cast wheels tend to be heavier as they must increase wall thickness to enhance strength.

Quick Reply: How much do heavier wheels affect acceleration ?