Sponsored by:

Radiator debris cleaning ...MY09 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator debris cleaning ...MY09 C4S

Found out by mistake that applying the business end of a leaf blower to the front side scoops at high power will blow a ton of stuff out throught the center scoop...in the past I always blew into the center scoop to the right and left when drying off my car...got minimal results...but when blowing into the side grilles!...man what a bunch of stuf shot out through the center. This may be old news but I do it with my weekly wash now and always got junk out. See the photo. Not much blowing around in N.E Florida...just the same...it surprised me. Still waiting for a source for easily installed grille screens...some UK companies have'em for 997.1's....not for 997.2's. Can't get the file to upload...had a neat photo. Thanks all!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Using a flexible vacuum hose inserted through the center opening works great too.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:21 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Good idea...I dont have any flexible hose...I'm comdemmed to my leaf blower...would love to find grille screens.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My leaf blower works well for my 997.1 !
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
My leaf blower works well for my 997.1 !
Do you just shoot the air in there or somehow easily get behind the rads?
I've been using a 1 1/4" vacuum cleaner.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Frankly i think this is the biggest oversight on P's part. Dunno what they were thinking that day. Anyhow, my local dealer, Park Place Dallas, has the GT3, mesh type grills. Im waiting to get my bumper repainted so I will have it install then as it requires the removal of the bumper. good luck and happy sucking
Old 11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Frankly i think this is the biggest oversight on P's part. Dunno what they were thinking that day. Anyhow, my local dealer, Park Place Dallas, has the GT3, mesh type grills. Im waiting to get my bumper repainted so I will have it install then as it requires the removal of the bumper. good luck and happy sucking
The problem with grills is that you still have to clean fine debris behind them and to do that you need to remove the bumper.

I have a US-made Metro Vac 'N' Blo w/the 4HP motor, which I use in my garage to vacuum and blow cars. Using its powerful suction, just using its flexible hose, it's very easy to remove any debris in front of the radiators by feeding the hose horizontally/laterally through the openings in the center section.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I move it around the front and sides of the side intakes and out flies a lot of stuff (997.1). I have even (when wheels are off) shot it from the rear, pushing things out the way they came in.

I plan to remove the front bumper every 4-5 years to fully clean out the radiators. With both a radiator and a condenser sitting next to each other it's virtually impossible to keep debris out from between them along the bottom without taking things apart.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Originally Posted by sullivas
Do you just shoot the air in there or somehow easily get behind the rads?
I've been using a 1 1/4" vacuum cleaner.
I was aiming the leaf blower into the right and left lower bumper openings/scoops and the debris shot out through the center opening/scoop. Haven't inspected them closely but alot was removed as I described. Thought to blow forward through the front wheel well brake vents...I believe they open to the backside of the radiators.

Quick Reply: Radiator debris cleaning ...MY09 C4S