Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 VW Beatle is 911's ugly cousin

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Would you believe it...everyone in the Oprah show audience got one !!! I was Rennlisting online while my wife was watching the showand was shocked to see Oprah hand out all the goodies (like Ipad, cruise tickets, beetle) to everyone in the audience. Disclamier: I usually dont watch Oprah which is DVR'ed by my wife everyday...not that there is anything wrong with it.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beentherebaby
Panamera sales aren't exactly stellar. That's probably the same number of Beetles VW will be able to sell, which ain't no where near enough.
They absolutely are - it's the top seller in its category, selling way more than say the 5 Series GT despite having a massively higher average cost of entry. The Panamera has been a tremendous success for Porsche - it's been their top selling vehicle for a while.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the way the new New Beetle mimics the original. Except I wish they hadn't squished the roof down, which gives it that PT Cruiser look. I also think it will sell well in its first year. But unless they put the engine in the back again, for many original Beetle fans it still won't be a Beetle.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
cv997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the ugly offspring of a beetle and a pt cruiser.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

A Panamera is in the same class as a 5 Series GT??? C'mon that's ridiculous. I don't think it's selling that badly but it ain't in the big leagues by a long shot.

Measue its sales against S Class Mercedes, 7 Series BMW, Maserati Quattro etc. for a meaningful comparison. I would bet the numbers are a lot closer to Maserati than the Merc or BMW.

FWIW I like the new new Beetle better.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
What an ugly car. IMO, it's too much of a departure from the shape that made it famous and is a step back wards in the beetle design. I see what you mean about the butchered shape though.

Looks like the originals (more than one). Comp photos from the [bad n-word here] period:
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are trying to make it more practical. The first "new" beetle was cute and all but fairly impractical all things being equal. I think they are trying to attract people with the retro look but actually make it a more useful everyday car. As a result, the design looks a bit forced to me but maybe it will look better in person.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

Originally Posted by swajames
They absolutely are - it's the top seller in its category, selling way more than say the 5 Series GT despite having a massively higher average cost of entry. The Panamera has been a tremendous success for Porsche - it's been their top selling vehicle for a while.
You completely missed the point... 25,000 units annually for Porsche is a big deal. For VW 25,000 units annually for a model it's a dismal failure. The Panamera sells for ~$100K. A VW Beetle sells for ~$20K.

Those who vote with their wallet will determine the success or failure of the next new Beetle. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money of low sales volume for the next Beetle.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
A Panamera is in the same class as a 5 Series GT??? C'mon that's ridiculous. I don't think it's selling that badly but it ain't in the big leagues by a long shot.

Measue its sales against S Class Mercedes, 7 Series BMW, Maserati Quattro etc. for a meaningful comparison. I would bet the numbers are a lot closer to Maserati than the Merc or BMW.
Yes. Many would actually argue that it's wrong to compare 4-door sedans with 5-door hatchbacks like the Panamera/550i GT. Personally, I think the Panamera is kind of in a class by itself because none of the competition offers as much performance as the P-car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...at_battle.html
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24122009/36...amera-s-0.html

Anyway, of all those cars the S-class is the top seller but the Panamera sells more than the 7-series. Here are the US sales figures for October. Couple the solid sales with the high margins that Porsche maintains and something tells me that the Porsche powers-that-be are very pleased with its performance these days.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cv997
Looks like the ugly offspring of a beetle and a pt cruiser.
That is EXACTLY what I thought
Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That is just horrific.

Does anyone else think it looks a bit like an old London taxi?

I sure hope we outrgrow this ugly stage in car design we seem to be going through.

-T
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

tooloud the statistic you posted is a bit misleading. it looks at one month only. The same source shows BMW 7 Series sales at 10,426 for the year and Panamera sales at 6,312.

Having said this I have to admit the Panamera is selling better than I expected and is at least knocking on the door of the big boys. Comparing it to a 5 Series GT is still ridiculous IMO. That's one "crossover" model of the 5 apparently aimed at minivan moms- total 5 series sales for the year (again same source) are 29,401. Comparing it to the 5 series as a whole though is (IMO) also ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Yes. Many would actually argue that it's wrong to compare 4-door sedans with 5-door hatchbacks like the Panamera/550i GT. Personally, I think the Panamera is kind of in a class by itself because none of the competition offers as much performance as the P-car.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...at_battle.html
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24122009/36...amera-s-0.html

Anyway, of all those cars the S-class is the top seller but the Panamera sells more than the 7-series. Here are the US sales figures for October. Couple the solid sales with the high margins that Porsche maintains and something tells me that the Porsche powers-that-be are very pleased with its performance these days.

I'd take a Panamera over any of those cars.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, they're trying to make the New Beetle more practical. Just getting rid of the aircraft carrier sized dash will do wonders. Looks like they did that.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I would rather shoot myself in the face...twice...than drive the new new Beetle.

Quick Reply: 2012 VW Beatle is 911's ugly cousin