09 Sport Chrono Reference Lap Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts
Default 09 Sport Chrono Reference Lap Help please

Hi
I’m trying to sort out how to record “laps” and review them after an event.

I keep getting a message saying <No Reference Lap Recorded> after driving for a bit and setting intermediate times and new laps.

When I try to access the Reset Reference Lap button, it is greyed out and error message says, <this functionality is not available>????????

To the best of my knowledge, Chairman Meow bought everything required to allow lap timing / recording to occur in the PCM.
When timing I actually see the;
• Dash Chrono moving
• In-Tach display counting up
• PCM display counting up

How do I set a reference lap?

Page 140 of the manual says “ after timing has been stopped, a prompt asking whether time is to be stored on PCM appears”.
I never see this prompt, so I assume this is the issue?

I use the system this way
Start timing
Drive for a bit ~ 60 seconds
Stop timing
Look for prompt on PCM to store = never appears.

Any advice is appreciated.

Car is an 09 2S with Sport Chrono Package Plus and PCM (all features except sat-nav).

thanks

Craig
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Are you storing up front a distance for the lap? To be honest, I have never taken the time to go do all of that!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

I haven't used this feature myself, however you may want to take a look at the PCM manual starting on page 115. There seem to be a number of steps involved in creating the reference lap (see page 118) that you didn't describe in your post so maybe that's what's missing.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

You need to start the recording with the left stalk and let it run for the duration. Later using a USB flash card download the file, via one of the PCM menus (it's in the PCM Manual). You can analyze that file (CSV) using Excel. You will see things like speed, RPM, acceleration, etc.

You can also use this Web app.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

thanks, i'll take a look at the PCM manual also.

cheers

Craig
Old 11-20-2010, 10:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Craig, when you figure it out PLEASE explain it to us in layman's terms. I've been tracking 997's with Sport Chrono since 2006 and have never figured it out. I gave up and use my iPhone with Harry's Lap Timer App.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

^ What he said.

FWIW, i have vid of me leading a 997 TT around Lightning at NJMP where he used the SC to clock us [ http://vimeo.com/13629017 ]. I had TraqMate (the base unit w/o the display, then) so we could compare. He set a ref lap and then timed us for about 10 laps. I compared it to my TM data on my notebook and it was pretty close, so I guess it can be done.

Don't know how he actually did it. He said he had to work the stalk at the Start/Finish line on the 1st lap to set the reference. Then, pull or push same to start new lap and each subsequent lap to time same. So user 'accuracy' is involved re where the S/F line is and when actually crossed, etc.

I have SC (but do not bother with it for timing). Good for what it is. Not as good as a dedicated lap timing system based upon GPS, of course. Still, it wld be nice to know how to use it..

Quick Reply: 09 Sport Chrono Reference Lap Help please