Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

I downloaded an example of the EasyCare warranty (6 pgs) and there is a line that says if you file a claim you will be required to produce receipts of regular maintenance as required by the mfr performed on the car. I do my own work and I keep the parts receipts. Anyone have similar experience with EasyCare or others in this regard and the outcome? Any workarounds or ideas?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 PM
zander35
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have experience with easycare, but when my Subaru spun a connecting rod bearing at 55k miles the dealer initially gave me a lot of grief for not having dealer maintenance done, and didn't want to cover it under the powertrain warranty. I had kept most of my oil and filter purchase receipts, and I had a detailed log book of all maintenance performed. Once they saw that they just changed their argument to be that I abused the car. Ultimately though I didn't back down and they did cover a new engine after about 6 weeks of debate.

I think the key is to make sure you keep all your receipts and have a log book with mileage/dates work was performed.

Coincidentally I called EasyCare today as my 911 warranty is set to expire in early December and asked about whether tracking the car voided the warranty, and they said no, as long as it wasn't a "competition". I haven't read the fine print yet. I'd be curious to know if you saw anything about that.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have Easy Care and keep a detailed log book. They cannot ask for more.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

There is no requirement that a shop or dealer has to perform maintenance. Anyone including the owner can perform all of the maintenance. Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 for details.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys that's a relief. Alex, there is a section that says, as I remember it, that a car that is raced is not covered. You can download the whole 'specimen' agreement at the easycare.com website to get all the fine print. And there is a lot of it. BTW it's more expensive to buy it directly from them than through a dealer they told me on the phone. They can give you of car dealers in your area they work through but they prefer that it is a Porsche dealer if that's the car you have, and even better if it's the one you bought the car from.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
I downloaded an example of the EasyCare warranty (6 pgs) and there is a line that says if you file a claim you will be required to produce receipts of regular maintenance as required by the mfr performed on the car. I do my own work and I keep the parts receipts. Anyone have similar experience with EasyCare or others in this regard and the outcome? Any workarounds or ideas?
Speak with some shops that have dealt with EasyCare covered cars and see what kind of issues the agent raises when considering authorizing work on a car.

Porsche techs tell me 3rd party extended warranty companies (extended service contracts) can be a real pain to deal with. The adjuster comes in and asks a bazillion questions about the car's condition, upkeep, use, etc. seeking to obviously prevent fraudulent claims but as a result it puts alot a pressure on the tech to be able to accurately and honestly relate the car's condition, etc.

You want to give him or one of his fellow techs all the backup/ammo you can regarding the care and servicing the care receives while in your hands so in case there's a claim to be filed, it can't or isn't denied because the servicing history is non-existent.

Also, regarding the Mag-Moss Act, read the act's fine print. As long as a company states its special conditions clearly and without any attempt to bury them or leave them out of the contract altogether a company can put almost any restriction on its warranty coverage it wants.

Read the EasyCare contract fine print too. Do not go by the slick sales brochure but ask for a full copy of the contract *before* you sign.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

This is the fine print from the 6 page EasyCare agreement under

C. Your responsibilties:
To keep this VSC valid, you must have your vehicle serviced as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service including verifiable receipts showing date and mileage of the vehicle at the time of service must be presented in order to have repairs begun on your vehicle. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of the manufacturer's recommended interval shall be considered compliance under the terms of this VSC.

How do you verify your own servicing?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep a notebook of when you completed the service along with the receipts for the service parts....oil, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc. They can not deny you if you have it documented.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
This is the fine print from the 6 page EasyCare agreement under

C. Your responsibilties:
To keep this VSC valid, you must have your vehicle serviced as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service including verifiable receipts showing date and mileage of the vehicle at the time of service must be presented in order to have repairs begun on your vehicle. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of the manufacturer's recommended interval shall be considered compliance under the terms of this VSC.

How do you verify your own servicing?
With some effort.

Use a credit card to buy all items required by the scheduled service: oil/filter, etc., and keep the receipts in a file along with the car's other paperwork.

When you service the vehicle note the date, time, mileage and record this and file this in the folder.

I'd tear the top off the filter box and write this info in pen and toss this in the file then.

My problem is I sometimes buy fluids and such several months ahead of actually needing them, or have them then do not have the time to do the servicing, so I take the car into the dealer for service. I leave the car and take my other car. 'course, I toss the dealer service department service invoice into the car's file. (I save all papers related to the car.)

Then the next service I'll use the service items I bought maybe 6 or more months ago.

In short documenting the car's service to the degree necessary to keep the coverage intact, and more than that, to make any question of the coverage being not intact mute, can be a pain.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 PM
pttrash
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have spent some time researching extended warranties and easy care seems to be very well respected. When getting involved with anything that has a contract, one needs to take into consideration the reputation of the company they are doing business with. Easy Care has a very good reputation and I have found very little in the complaint dept. I am in the progress of finalizing my own contract with easy care.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at Easy Care and found the same coverage from AAA at 25% less cost (2005 Carrera S with 12,000 miles). There must be a difference but I can't find it. Only statements regarding service is that it must be maintained in accordance with manufacturers recomendations (AAA also wants to sell service...... so they need to say this I guess). Anybody have experience with AAA before I pull the trigger?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM
zander35
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anyone is interested here's what easycare quoted me with $250 de-ductable:

I've got an '06 Carrera S with 12,500 miles. My factory warranty expires 12/2/2010

Power Care (very basic powertrain coverage)
- 3 year/36,000 mile - $2899
- 4 year/ 50,000 mile - $3461

Primary Care (the next step up, covers cooling system/AC system, + other stuff)
- 3 year/36000 - $3387
- 4 year/60,000 - $4514

These prices seemed pretty high so I didn't bother pricing the higher coverage levels like Total Care.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but the quotes I got from them back in March were much lower for higher coverage levels, so maybe I missed out.

I asked one dealer about extended service contracts and they basically steered me away from getting one, but maybe that's in their best interests if they don't want to deal with adjusters. I didn't know that you could get lower rates from the dealer than easy care directly. Easycare salesperson of course told me the opposite, that she had the lowest rates. She also just called offering $300 off the quoted numbers above. I still am not sure it's worth it. I'd be curious to know what others are being quoted.

- Alex

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question