Sponsored by:

my car doesnt beep when i lock or unlock

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:07 PM
haivle
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car doesnt beep when i lock or unlock

hi as stated above, i have an 2005 c2s cab , is it normal that my car doesn't make a sound when i lock or unlock the car?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes - normal. You can add a SmartTop - to get that and a few other useful functions - especially good for Cabrios.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:25 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A audible sound when you lock the car is ment to indicate that you have a breech in the security system... i.e window down, door, engine lid or trunk not closed fully. This is the default setting...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
hi as stated above, i have an 2005 c2s cab , is it normal that my car doesn't make a sound when i lock or unlock the car?
If you're standing close enough it does make a sound - the door locks engaging.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:01 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn signals do a little double flash when locked. Just look for it.

The horn beep thing is so F'ing annoying. Lot of people have that and I have to endure all these honks in the evening as people come home and park/lock their cars outside.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you really want it to beep you can leave the trunk open and then it will sound the horn for you.

Porsches grew up in a region that respects SILENCE. Not America where every obnoxious SUV owner has to beep and chirp their cars as they walk to and from them. Silence is valuable--a flash of the lights is fine. Also, remember, if you can't remember if you locked the car or not, simply press the remote again. If you never disturb the door(s) it will automatically lock for you within 30 seconds.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
haivle
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response guys it doesnt bother me that it doesnt sound i just wanted to know if its normal cus most cars i've owned made a sound when lock/unlock bmw also
Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsches grew up in a region that respects SILENCE.
Yeah when I first got the car I was annoyed that it doesn't beep, but now that I'm used to it I like it a lot.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haivle
thanks for the response guys it doesnt bother me that it doesnt sound i just wanted to know if its normal cus most cars i've owned made a sound when lock/unlock bmw also
My M3 is the same way - no noise. You can hear the locking mechanism like you can with the Porsche, but no chirp/honk/beep. Just the subtle flash.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Or you can "Burger King" it and get a RemoteKey/SmartTop.

Where mine beeps, usually there is either a) no prayer of silence in the first place, b) no one else there to hear it (so it didn't happen...or did it... ), or c) in my garage, so F it.

FWIW, unless BMW has changed things, the dealer can program it "as you like it".

And I wonder how many beating the silence is golden drum have modded their exhaust for a more aggressive voicing?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm a bit scatterbrained / forgetful/ OCD when it comes to locking my cars.

A typical scenario for me is to get out of the car, shut the door, and lock it. Then walk 5 steps and forget if I locked it or not, so I lock it again. Then I walk 5 or ten steps and repeat. The 997 was the first car I've had where the lock and unlock are the same button. Imagine my dismay. I was all set to buy the Smart Top to help me determine if I was locking or unlocking the car. Then someone here pointed out that the car I'll automatically lock itself 30 seconds after that button is pressed if the door is not opened. So - my problem is solved, and I appreciate the silence (that's a whole 'nuther neurosis)

Quick Reply: my car doesnt beep when i lock or unlock