Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Is Faster Than Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:12 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad people are starting to realize the Tip has a place. This place is usually quite toxic in regards to Tip commentary.

+ Tips come with 3rd radiator installed.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
You were talking about 0 - 60 numbers being misleading because you said they were obtained by professional drivers. I simply pointed out that 0 - 60 is a single upshift and anyone could do that.

I have pdk in wife's Macan S and my 991 GT3, but I had manual in my 996 and 997 Cups cars . . . Race cars may use true sequential shifters, but certainly won't have torque converter auto-manuals or tiptrontic.

I should not have said the tip was aweful. It is okay for an automanual, but it is way behind the technology curve for sports cars.
I appreciate your answer.

I would add:

PDK, in a sense, it's also a torque converter (with double-clutch).

Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini and PORSCHE. Use the TIP.

The TIP is not designed to make the least sporty vehicle. Those who are interested to purchase less sporty buy TOYOTA. The TIP is designed to bring something new. different. Faster. more accurate.
Like Ferrari long ago abandoned the manual gear.

And at the end. Invented the PDK.

TIP is a third species. additional.
If anything comparable (in terms of driving - driver functionality) so the comparison should be between the PDK and the TIP.
If you're talking about technology. It comes in three different types of transmissions.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 PM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I find my Tiptronic extremely capable and I have no trouble getting 0-60 numbers in the 4 secs. Poeple like to trash talk the tiptronic but it's performed phenomenally for me.
Porsche's engineers are not wrong. For many years, developed Tiptronic!

Car companies worldwide have purchased and transferred the technology is also used in races, including drag the track satisfied.

Tip gearbox is excellent. Very reliable! Fast and accurate (compared to manual). As of those years.

Tip 997.1 highly successful installed. (Also in 911TT with very high power) ..

In the end, it's driving style.
TIP closer to the driver's style of "fast track" with the hands on the steering wheel.

It seems to me enough ...
Old 03-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
I appreciate your answer.

I would add:

PDK, in a sense, it's also a torque converter (with double-clutch).

Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini and PORSCHE. Use the TIP.

The TIP is not designed to make the least sporty vehicle. Those who are interested to purchase less sporty buy TOYOTA. The TIP is designed to bring something new. different. Faster. more accurate.
Like Ferrari long ago abandoned the manual gear.

And at the end. Invented the PDK.

TIP is a third species. additional.
If anything comparable (in terms of driving - driver functionality) so the comparison should be between the PDK and the TIP.
If you're talking about technology. It comes in three different types of transmissions.
Lol, Bugatti and Lambo do not use tiptronic. Veyron has dual clutch and Lambos have egear, dual clutch and single clutch depending upon the year and the model. My wife's weekend car has an egear and don't even get me started on that one . . .

If tiptronic is the fastest, surely you can point me to all the GT3, GT2s, 99X cup cars that came with tiptronics . . . how about the CGT? Not in the one I briefly had in 2005 before the advent of the pdk.

Here are a couple of articles about the mechanics of a tiptronic versus the mechanics of the pdk.

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...mission-386585

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...n#.WLeELYWcGQx
Old 03-02-2017, 01:31 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
I find my Tiptronic extremely capable and I have no trouble getting 0-60 numbers in the 4 secs. Poeple like to trash talk the tiptronic but it's performed phenomenally for me.
I've had a Tip and PDK. The PDK is a bit better but the Tip is not bad, as long as it's in a 911 there's not much to complain about for me.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, Bugatti and Lambo do not use tiptronic. Veyron has dual clutch and Lambos have egear, dual clutch and single clutch depending upon the year and the model. My wife's weekend car has an egear and don't even get me started on that one . . .

If tiptronic is the fastest, surely you can point me to all the GT3, GT2s, 99X cup cars that came with tiptronics . . . how about the CGT? Not in the one I briefly had in 2005 before the advent of the pdk.

Here are a couple of articles about the mechanics of a tiptronic versus the mechanics of the pdk.

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...mission-386585

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...n#.WLeELYWcGQx

I'm sorry BRO. I did not explain myself correctly.

I mean, the Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini and PORSCHE use technology to control the steering wheel. With two pedals.
Even racing cars and F1.
911TT used in TIP. And a lot of Porsche racing cars (including drag) that users in the TIP.

PDK is more advanced and excellent (!!) These two different things.

It comes in three options (Manual Gear Tiptronic and PDK)

The comparison should be driving style. No mechanics.

And therefore. TIP is a great choice for those who want to buy 997.1 with steering wheel control! That is what you get! it's understood?

TIP gearbox is excellent and very reliable

Have a nice day
Old 03-02-2017, 07:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tiptronic S and manual thoughts

Never had cause to complain about my Tip tranny (Tiptronic 'S' to be exact, which seems to make a fair difference) when driven hard, even if she's just an upgraded 996T. Presumably in the 997 too, every Tip ratio above 1st has a lock-up so transmission losses are minimised. After 1st (where the slip lets you spool her up for a launch), about the only time I think you get highish transmission losses is for whatever part of the 200ms odd shift time she's unlocked. And that brief moment of slippage combined with the speed of the change is what allows the Tip turbos to maintain more boost during those changes. That sustained boosted power more than compensates for the momentary slippage.

Have raced in manuals too but only Tip on the 996/997T platform so can't make a direct comparison as a driver. On twisty B or C roads though - where you never know going into a corner whether there'll be riders on horses/a herd of dairy cattle/a tractor/milk tanker/hay baler there in front of you on the way back out - I do appreciate not having to take one hand off the wheel if an emergency change down is required before its exit.

I have noticed though that racing in manuals made me a better and faster Tip racer as well. I'm now more attuned to her shifting and can assist or compensate for them at the wheel and pedals, plus preselect ratios or override any rare unwanted shifts faster and smoother when needed.

FWIW, from my observations over some 6 odd years, the driver matters a lot more than the transmission type.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:30 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't want to have to go there... But, the Tiptronic transmission has a higher trade-in value than the manual. I did some research using the same car with the same specs but the only difference being the transmission. Speaking with dealerships, they hate manual transmission cars because they end up parked on their lots for way too long because most people don't want a manual transmission. Yes, this includes used Porsches.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

KBB probably implies this because it was an additional charge when new. That's certainly useful information though.

I think the conversations that involve resale are more to do with the community desire.
I honestly don't know the supply and demand of Tip v Manual.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 AM
f911
Racer

I'm driving in PORSCHE C2S Tiptronic S

Sensations of driving - amazing!
The car is very fast entry and exit in rounds and corner.
The transfer of the TIP excellence. (Need to know how to correctly use the Tiptronic transmission Shifted .. I'm talking about the state of "manual in a TIP" ..).

We can not say what is better !!! It's like comparing "apple strudel" to "chocolate souffle."

As of 2005 reached 997.1 Porsche or manual or tip (steering wheel control - later, upgraded to PDK)

Anyone looking steering wheel control * * (no matter if it's a TIP or PDK) can be peace of mind with TIP.

Do not forget that the transmission system has proven itself - for years. And that is very reliable.

And of course, ultimately, it's 911!

PORSCHE's engineers chose to produce TIP. Steering wheel control. For decades and successfully. This is evidence for itself.

PDK maintenance more expensive than the TIP. The technology is different - but the essence is the same (except for the location paddles on the steering wheel)

Personal note: who really love Porsche - should also love the history of PORSCHE.
I like manually. TIP and PDK.

Experience and Behavior in PORSCHE on winding roads
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by f911
I'm driving in PORSCHE C2S Tiptronic S

Sensations of driving - amazing!
The car is very fast entry and exit in rounds and corner.
The transfer of the TIP excellence. (Need to know how to correctly use the Tiptronic transmission Shifted .. I'm talking about the state of "manual in a TIP" ..).

We can not say what is better !!! It's like comparing "apple strudel" to "chocolate souffle."

As of 2005 reached 997.1 Porsche or manual or tip (steering wheel control - later, upgraded to PDK)

Anyone looking steering wheel control * * (no matter if it's a TIP or PDK) can be peace of mind with TIP.

Do not forget that the transmission system has proven itself - for years. And that is very reliable.

And of course, ultimately, it's 911!

PORSCHE's engineers chose to produce TIP. Steering wheel control. For decades and successfully. This is evidence for itself.

PDK maintenance more expensive than the TIP. The technology is different - but the essence is the same (except for the location paddles on the steering wheel)

Personal note: who really love Porsche - should also love the history of PORSCHE.
I like manually. TIP and PDK.

Experience and Behavior in PORSCHE on winding roads
ENOUGH!

You have blathered the dame nonsense for about 20 posts now. we get it. you think your tip is like the transmission in an f1 car because they both can be shifted from the steering wheel. you're wrong about just about every mechanical and historical statement you've delivered, but we'll ignore that.

Stop repeating yourself and maybe educate yourself a bit before posting again.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:32 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
ENOUGH!

You have blathered the dame nonsense for about 20 posts now. we get it. you think your tip is like the transmission in an f1 car because they both can be shifted from the steering wheel. you're wrong about just about every mechanical and historical statement you've delivered, but we'll ignore that.

Stop repeating yourself and maybe educate yourself a bit before posting again.
Because of comments like your comment. Leaves a bad name for transmission TIP. I never said that tip better than Pdk. These are two different gearboxes (different time periods). Have a nice day
Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Tip is fine as an option and I wont criticize someone who buys or prefers it.

But...

It is not faster in any carrera model

It is not more expensive used (a tip car will be priced lower, all other things being equal, than a manual)

It is not the same as pdk or other dual clutch transmissions -- it is very different. just google it.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I own a Manual, Tip & PDK car and can tell you they are vastly different driving cars, not in a bad way just very different.

PDK is millisecond shifting with rev matching on down shifts coupled with intelligent next gear selection while the Tip is a slush box (Torque Converter)
where you sequentially select the next hydraulic gear to shift too, not much different from most US/Import cars.

The PDK is everything I love about owning a manual shifter minus everything I hated about manual shifting.

EDIT: To answer your question, with the right driver I believe a manual is quicker. For traffic conditions the Tip wins.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

would Uber, take public transportation, or have my buddies mom drive me before I ever drove or was even a passenger in an auto trans 911.....

(thats a joke)

Love what you got and drive it!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Is Faster Than Manual?