Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Is Faster Than Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
People always want what they cannot have. Some think the grass is greener on the other side. The PDK is a great sequential.
PDK is a great automatic transmission for sure! It is heavier than a manual transmission but more than makes it up for its weight by its performance!

I personally am a fan of manual transmission for the feel and excitement. It makes me feel more involved and feel one with the car. That is the only reason I chose manual over PDK, not performance...

There is one problem with PDK that I wittnessed, and it is cooling. A Cayman S with PDK had issues on the track a couple months ago and one of the clutch plate was not working, so some of the gears were missing until it cooled down again
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
There is one problem with PDK that I wittnessed, and it is cooling. A Cayman S with PDK had issues on the track a couple months ago and one of the clutch plate was not working, so some of the gears were missing until it cooled down again
So, how did that work? gears jumping two gears (like from 2nd to 4th)? or he couldn't change gears at all until it cooled down?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
So, how did that work? gears jumping two gears (like from 2nd to 4th)? or he couldn't change gears at all until it cooled down?
If I remember correctly (and I have to emphasize on the if 'cause I have a terrible memory ) it was jumping 2 gears.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a C6 Z06 manual to the 997 Tip. Only time I miss a 6 speed is when I go on runs w/other P car owners which unfortunately has not been very often. For the 99% of the time I’m driving between any of the 5 boroughs, New Jersey and Westchester, which invariably involves traffic and supremely idiotic drivers the Tip is the right choice (PDK if I had a 997.2). Could care less what others think about my chick shift - they ain't chauffeuring me around. That said, if I lived anywhere in California, including LA (I’ve been in LA traffic, it IS NOT the same as NYC) I’d have the stick. Car owners out there are truly lucky.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
Nothing wrong with the Tip, and I'd agree that for most people most of the time it's going to be faster than the 6-speed irrespective of what the official 997.1 specs would have you believe. For the 997.2, there's no debate about the PDK, that's faster period. I had a number of BMW 5 Series before moving to Porsche a few years ago and it's much the same there, the automatics are generally faster.
I also came from E60 545i with Steptronic and I must say that the Steptronic transmission is significantly better than the Tiptronic S in my 2006 Carrera S.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello friends,

I'm sorry that I was "bouncing" the post ..

I purchased recently ))) 911 997.1 Tiptronic S c2s and I can say wholeheartedly. Once you learn to move the gears correctly - time. Vehicle very fast! And no less fun

I can say so myself. I love since childhood - PORSCHE 911 and love to drive!
So far, I've only had manual sports car ..

At first, it was hard to get used to the TIP .. But very quickly, the fact that both hands on the wheel and the entire concentration is focused on driving. It is perfect.

I have no doubt that the PDK better. But like everything, there is always something new ..

In my opinion. As of 2005, Tiptronic S is the most close track car!
In 2009 - PDK.

In conclusion. Both transmission system - excellent.
Manual Gear. This is something else (there are advantages and disadvantages)

** The fact that both hands on the wheel - is not possible in manual. And vice versa...
Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason that a manual is faster than a Tip on paper is because automotive publications use professional race car drivers to test out the 0-60 times. On a manual, the average person can't hit those publicized 0-60 numbers and therefore I think it's misleading. On the other hand, anyone and their grandma can drive a Tip very quickly which requires less driving skill.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM
f911
Racer

You are right in every word

As evidence. Even Le Mans races, F1 and, Carrara cup etc ---> The control - in steering wheel (Tip ; Pdk ; F1 It does not matter..)

It says a lot ..
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
The reason that a manual is faster than a Tip on paper is because automotive publications use professional race car drivers to test out the 0-60 times. On a manual, the average person can't hit those publicized 0-60 numbers and therefore I think it's misleading. On the other hand, anyone and their grandma can drive a Tip very quickly which requires less driving skill.
??? It is one shift! The tiptronic is aweful and adds about 100 pounds. I do like the pdk. Lol, about the automotive publications having real professional drivers. Most are intermediate at best and again, we are talking about UP shifting . . . not trailing braking deep into a decreasing radius turn, heel toeing or double clutching unsychronized gears.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM
f911
Racer

These different things.
I like the Tiptronic at 997.1.
PDK is more advanced and newer (like everything in life)

If you like the PDK, so I do not understand why you say that the TIP ..
TIP closer to the PDK, than manual gear

Once you get used to the gears TIP and learn to move the gears in time (in the exact torque), it's completely different .. faster gear manual.

at the end of the day. TIP faster than manual. Despite the extra weight (there is also an adult PDK)

In TIP. A downshift times - different. The entrance to turn and downshift is at other than Manual.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
??? It is one shift! The tiptronic is aweful and adds about 100 pounds. I do like the pdk. Lol, about the automotive publications having real professional drivers. Most are intermediate at best and again, we are talking about UP shifting . . . not trailing braking deep into a decreasing radius turn, heel toeing or double clutching unsychronized gears.
Again... In a manual, the average driver wouldn't even know how to do this. That's not to say they couldn't learn but it would be tricky trying to learn on public roads. Let's not forget that the 911 is a very fast car whether you get a manual or Tip. Making a mistake while downshifting (wrong gear) and exiting a turn can lead to disaster if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM
f911
Racer

What he said above
That's why the real races - steering wheel(!)
And, GT3 RS -> PDK .. Nearest Car Racing
Old 03-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Again... In a manual, the average driver wouldn't even know how to do this. That's not to say they couldn't learn but it would be tricky trying to learn on public roads. Let's not forget that the 911 is a very fast car whether you get a manual or Tip. Making a mistake while downshifting (wrong gear) and exiting a turn can lead to disaster if you don't know what you're doing.
You were talking about 0 - 60 numbers being misleading because you said they were obtained by professional drivers. I simply pointed out that 0 - 60 is a single upshift and anyone could do that.

Originally Posted by f911
What he said above
That's why the real races - steering wheel(!)
And, GT3 RS -> PDK .. Nearest Car Racing
I have pdk in wife's Macan S and my 991 GT3, but I had manual in my 996 and 997 Cups cars . . . Race cars may use true sequential shifters, but certainly won't have torque converter auto-manuals or tiptrontic.

I should not have said the tip was aweful. It is okay for an automanual, but it is way behind the technology curve for sports cars.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f911
These different things.
I like the Tiptronic at 997.1.
PDK is more advanced and newer (like everything in life)

If you like the PDK, so I do not understand why you say that the TIP ..
TIP closer to the PDK, than manual gear

Once you get used to the gears TIP and learn to move the gears in time (in the exact torque), it's completely different .. faster gear manual.

at the end of the day. TIP faster than manual. Despite the extra weight (there is also an adult PDK)

In TIP. A downshift times - different. The entrance to turn and downshift is at other than Manual.
pdk, f1, DCT and etc. are actually more similar to a manual than a Tiptronic. The Tip has a torque converter. The others do not and utilize clutches.

I honestly do not see how a tip could be faster unless someone was a really bad driver in a NA 911. I suppose the 997.1tt acceleration times were better with the tiptronic due to gearing of the tiptronic matching the large flat torque curve produced by the twin turbos.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

I find my Tiptronic extremely capable and I have no trouble getting 0-60 numbers in the 4 secs. Poeple like to trash talk the tiptronic but it's performed phenomenally for me.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Is Faster Than Manual?