Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

53K and original clutch....no problems yet
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd also agree with others that your car probably wasn't treated too well by its previous owner, and there's some extra wear on your clutch plate contributing to your slippage.

Also, remember how these cars are designed: Big, sticky tires at the rear in a rear-engine car mean it's got so much weight out back its very much harder to light-up the tires and do a smoky-burnout style launch. And Dan's right: Something's gotta give. In a car whose design goal isn't 1/4 mile sprints it'll be your clutch.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:22 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I'd also agree with others that your car probably wasn't treated too well by its previous owner, and there's some extra wear on your clutch plate contributing to your slippage.

Also, remember how these cars are designed: Big, sticky tires at the rear in a rear-engine car mean it's got so much weight out back its very much harder to light-up the tires and do a smoky-burnout style launch. And Dan's right: Something's gotta give. In a car whose design goal isn't 1/4 mile sprints it'll be your clutch.
Or worse if the tires AND the clutch don't slip;-)
Old 11-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Imsorry
Track Day

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I would recommend to any serious 6-speed driver that they spend some time inside the clutch area of their car if it has to go in for such a service. Understand the workings of the throwout bearing, and the flywheel, and the clutch disc and the pressure plate. While the 997s are substantially more advanced than my older Porsches the principles are the same. Adjustment is critical so that you are engaging fully when under the most extreme power. I absolutely NEVER press on the accelerator hard when the clutch pedal is not fully out.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
Driven properly a 997 clutch will last 100k+ miles.
First post on here but I have been reading for a while.

I have to say the above comment is one that I see often but simplifies the question. Please note, dont startt telling me I dont know how to drive or any of that garbage. This is a discussion forum.

I posted a bunch of issues on another forum which I dont care to bother repeating, but in my research which is now becoming extensive, there are noted issues with the 996 clutch where there were a lot of people losing a clutch very early. I believe that while the clutch has changed the issues have not.

The fact is if everything is done right it should last as the above poster has stated. However, given issues and there could be any number of them a clutch can wear very quickly.

My clutch lasted 2500 miles. I complained about the smell every time I drove it. In the end who knows what caused it, but the reality is it could have been a bad slave, inproper cable links, throw out bearing alignment... Or just bad parts.

In my estimation clutches fall into two catagories. Done right, as stated by the poster above. Done wrong, very short.

Oh and the crap the dealer feeds us about the car being more powerful.... well given the many other cars pumping out 350-400 horses. Well Touque is tourque.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by yossarian
First post on here but I have been reading for a while.

I have to say the above comment is one that I see often but simplifies the question. Please note, dont startt telling me I dont know how to drive or any of that garbage. This is a discussion forum.

I posted a bunch of issues on another forum which I dont care to bother repeating, but in my research which is now becoming extensive, there are noted issues with the 996 clutch where there were a lot of people losing a clutch very early. I believe that while the clutch has changed the issues have not.

The fact is if everything is done right it should last as the above poster has stated. However, given issues and there could be any number of them a clutch can wear very quickly.

My clutch lasted 2500 miles. I complained about the smell every time I drove it. In the end who knows what caused it, but the reality is it could have been a bad slave, inproper cable links, throw out bearing alignment... Or just bad parts.

In my estimation clutches fall into two catagories. Done right, as stated by the poster above. Done wrong, very short.

Oh and the crap the dealer feeds us about the car being more powerful.... well given the many other cars pumping out 350-400 horses. Well Touque is tourque.
I know many people driving 993s, 996s, and 997s who are excellent drivers. None report clutch problems and many have accumulated high miles.

I also know people (driving all kinds of cars) who constantly trash their clutches while telling me they know how to drive...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Driven properly a 997 clutch will last 100k+ miles.
I know many people driving 993s, 996s, and 997s who are excellent drivers. None report clutch problems and many have accumulated high miles.

I also know people (driving all kinds of cars) who constantly trash their clutches while telling me they know how to drive...
I agree, but is it not posible that just maybe there is enough evidence out there to suspect that there are posible manufacturing issues? Your comment above is exactly why it is so difficult to gaugue from this user comunity if there is an issue or not. I will give you two examples:

1. I bought a droid 2 global from Verizon the day it came out. I hated my blackberry. I noted two issues right away, it got hot and the battery sucked. On a forum people started to track the issue... 30 to 45 days later a quiet release comes out and the overclocking stopped. Discussing an issue sometimes helps isolate it.

2. I have a broken shift fork. Not one person I have found has broken one on a 997 so it must be my fault. Except that I did not accept that answer so I had it cross cut and also MRI'ed. The part is made with a low grade cast. Is that within spec? I dont know yet but I will find out.

My point is, there is enough user discussion that shows a severe disparity between long lasting clutches and short, very short. The power argument does not hold since many cars produce that level of touque (not talking speed, just pwer transfer between the tranny and engine pressure).

It is easy to blame the driver, but does that not just feed into the manufacturers hands? Many people know how to drive, and yes a few dont. However, given more power, a stronger clutch system should compensate.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Imsorry
Can anyone comment on the normal life of a C2S clutch?

I bought my CPO a year ago at 23K miles and only put on 2K miles so far.
Took the car out today and drove it hard, and noticed significant clutch slip and smelled nothing but clutch for the rest of the drive.
Drop the clutch at 5K and the clutch slipped all the way and went no where.

Any advise or comments is much appreciated.
well, not much can be said about this. somebody did not know how to use clutch. my car is 50K+ miles on its original clutch and I drive it hard, but i do not drop it at higher than 4K rpm - benefit is slim but you do much more harm from dropping at 5.5K or 6K rpm.

clutch is not a warranty item and if there is no bad vibration/other issues you can claim to the dealer - you are looking at clutch replace.

i would buy a OEM clutch kit from suncoast and got it installed with a good independent mechanic - it will be cheaper than to deal with a stealership.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I live in SF, and these hills can be hard on clutches and brakes

replaced my 996 clutch at ~ 38K miles
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

agreed- 55k miles and counting on the first clutch for this car.

Unfortunately.. I don't think I'd necessarily blame the clutch wear on the previous owner. How often do you drop the clutch at 5k RPM? You can easily trash a clutch if you're driving like this frequently. On the next clutch, I highly recommend that you take your foot off the clutch before coming on hard with the power.... I'm sure you'll get 60k miles or more from the new clutch.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does a typical clutch replacement cost?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 200 Posts

mine was $1800 with PCA discount.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 30k on mine (bought used) and a lot of those are track miles and my clutch is like the day I got it.

Clutch's are consumables like brakes and tires.. it depends on the user how long its lasts.. either you got the car with a worn clutch or you are not doing something right.

These Sach's 997 C2S clutch's are some of the best!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Feel free to do an extensive search herein on clutches and you may find some references to some premature failures but I would be willing to suggest that the vast majority are operator caused. As you know, once a clutch has been abused it will get worse and worse in no time. My usual clutch replacements have been in excess of 120,000 miles. That's on two 911s. My present 06 S is sitting at 55,000 without any sign of a problem--knock on asbestos!

Quick Reply: 997 short clutch life?