Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would Rennlist do?
Trade the M3.
36.36%
Trade the 997.2
2.27%
Trade neither. Keep BOTH current cars!
52.27%
Get the Panamera also (the more the merrier!)
9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

P-Car Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010 | 11:08 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Default P-Car Choices?

Okay this has recently been on my mind. Have been looking at the new Porsche Panamera and am impressed by what they've accomplished. So I am left to wonder if I should pursue the Panamera option and source out a nice 2011 or 2011 Panamera S or Panamera 4 of which there seem to be a few out there or should I stay put and enjoy my current ride(s). Currently I have a 2008 e92 M3 coupe which is my daily driver and I love to drive. Does whatever I want for a daily commute and I can take it to the track and enjoy myself as well. The alternative, my 2009 997.2 Carerra S which is just a joy to drive also and makes the weekends..more bearable!

So what would you guys on rennlist do? Trade the M3 for the Panamera? Trade the Carrera S? Or enjoy them both and leave the Panamera for another day? Realize the ulitmate decision is mine and ah it is nice to have choices such as this I guess. But also interested on what inquiring minds would say and/or do?

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2010 | 11:10 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

It's a sidestep in performance, at best, and it's twice the price of your current ride. No way. Stay where you're at. And you already have a nice Carrera.
Old 11-12-2010 | 11:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Are you married? Kids? Go out with friends a lot? Take long trips? Etc, etc. Lot's of things to consider that make it hard for someone who doesn't know your situation to make car suggestions.
I'll just say, if it were me, I'd go with the Carrera and the Panamera. The Carrera is the weekend joy toy, sometime track machine, but can be driven daily if you want to. The Panamera has 4 doors, is practical enough to haul 2 or 4 adults and their luggage in supreme comfort, yet is still a great driving machine. Having a great coupe and a great sedan seems like a better mix than having 2 performance coupes. And if you're only going to have one performance coupe, it's got to be the Carrera, IMO. (Your's is beautiful, BTW) Unless, of course, you can afford all three!
Old 11-12-2010 | 11:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

You need an older more classically elegant E$tabli$hment neighborhood for the Panamera. BTW, what's that car doing under a cover!!? Not enough garage space?!! Oh! No Panamera for you!!

Just kidding. Do what makes you happy BUT pay cash (even if loan is 'cheaper'). No loans for luxuries.
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:03 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
You need an older more classically elegant E$tabli$hment neighborhood for the Panamera. BTW, what's that car doing under a cover!!? Not enough garage space?!! Oh! No Panamera for you!!

Just kidding. Do what makes you happy BUT pay cash (even if loan is 'cheaper'). No loans for luxuries.
Oh Ha! Didn't even notice that! That was taken awhile back and the car under the cover was friend of my wife's car who she was keeping in our driveway for a favor! No rest assured had a 2 car garage for my "collection" and now currently have a nice 3 car garage for the M3, Carrera S, and wife's Cayenne S so we're safe there if I were to give up one of the later. But thanks didn't think of that anglev!
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:11 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

E92 and 997.2 is a good combo... panamera is good if you have kids.. if not stay with your combo.. or trade the porsche on a new cayenne and then have a great roomy combo.
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:26 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Are you married? Kids? Go out with friends a lot? Take long trips? Etc, etc. Lot's of things to consider that make it hard for someone who doesn't know your situation to make car suggestions.
I'll just say, if it were me, I'd go with the Carrera and the Panamera. The Carrera is the weekend joy toy, sometime track machine, but can be driven daily if you want to. The Panamera has 4 doors, is practical enough to haul 2 or 4 adults and their luggage in supreme comfort, yet is still a great driving machine. Having a great coupe and a great sedan seems like a better mix than having 2 performance coupes. And if you're only going to have one performance coupe, it's got to be the Carrera, IMO. (Your's is beautiful, BTW) Unless, of course, you can afford all three!
opps.. my bad. I didn't mention my total vehicular predicament. Am married. Have 2 kids (9y/o and 11 y/o) Don't travel that much as far as road trips go and basically when we need 4+ person and space we take the wife's car an '09 Cayenne S. If not then we all fit in either of my cars albeit the M3 does have alot more rear room! But those occasions are like maybe 80/20 Cayenne/M3 if I had to qualify it.

If anything sounds like I may need to trade the Cayenne S for a Panamera for the wife! But then she'd have all the fun! Thanks for the interesting comments...keep em comming.
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:56 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

your 2 kids will love the rear seats in Panamera.

trade M3 for a three Porsche collection......then add a GT3 later......
Old 11-13-2010 | 01:05 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr

Uhm, what happened to the other post? The one about paying cash and all that...
Old 11-13-2010 | 01:07 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

If it were me, I would trade both M3 and Carrera S with a new 997 Turbo, and enjoy it fully as a daily drive as well as on track.

If I still need a four-seater for occasional use, then I would spare some change to purchase a few thousands dollars beater used car for that.

Regards,
Old 11-13-2010 | 01:36 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I'd sit on the current pair. Like the black theme on the Carrera.
Old 11-13-2010 | 01:51 AM
signature65
Instructor

It sounds like you just have the bug for a new car. You have the pratical SUV, the sports car and the semi sedan. The set up is pretty sweet as is
Old 11-13-2010 | 02:21 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
If it were me, I would trade both M3 and Carrera S with a new 997 Turbo, and enjoy it fully as a daily drive as well as on track.

If I still need a four-seater for occasional use, then I would spare some change to purchase a few thousands dollars beater used car for that.

Regards,
i like this angle..

TRADE EVERYTHING

and get:

11 Cayenne & 997.2 Turbo PDK.

then you'll have a rocket ship and a sick SUV as well.. everything together should be worth around 160k and with the 160 you should be able to get into the 997.2 Turbo (2010) around 110? and 50k for the Cayenne V6.
Old 11-13-2010 | 03:43 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i like this angle..

TRADE EVERYTHING

and get:

11 Cayenne & 997.2 Turbo PDK.

then you'll have a rocket ship and a sick SUV as well.. everything together should be worth around 160k and with the 160 you should be able to get into the 997.2 Turbo (2010) around 110? and 50k for the Cayenne V6.
My wife would kill me if I did that! LOL Sounds nice though I must admit. lol
Old 11-13-2010 | 10:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Whatever you do keep the 997. That's the only true sports car. Panamera, M3, may be fast but they are sport sedans. I'd say the Panamera trade for the M3 would be the one I'd do. It will cost you some $, and if u have it, it's a nice upgrade. I think with kids, it's nice to have an SUV so u can throw soccer, hockey stuff back there. I'd keep the Cayenne. GL.

Quick Reply: P-Car Choices?