Sponsored by:

Flaky Parking Light - LED stayed on - '10 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flaky Parking Light - LED stayed on - '10 C2S

Ok, only one time, but I just went out for a late lunch, drove about 1.5 miles in my new 2010 C2S (~750 miles, ~3 weeks old), parked, shut the ignition, and got a text warning and a buzz about the parking lights being left on when I opened the door. Switch was in the "home" position -- DRL are turned on.

I played with the switch, turned the lights on (it complained more about that with the ignition off) then off, but no luck. I didn't see any lights on, so I shut the car and went and got my pizza.

I came back to the car about 30 minutes later, approaching from the front this time, and saw that the passenger side parking/driving/LED light on the front bumper was on. Looked dim, but it was bright out. Had to open the door with the key, the remote didn't work.

Car started, turning over a little slowly. Just drove back home and parked in the garage, no problems, remote key worked, no lights remaining on.

Paranoia strikes me, as I changed out the amber side marker lights a couple of days ago for the clear ones (peer pressure on the board here... ). I've had some troubles with a BMW where the resistance changed from a corroded harness and warning lights appeared when they shouldn't have... that was expensive to repair out of warranty, actually.

Anyone with any experience with this? It was ONLY the one side that stayed on.

TIA -
Marc
Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure it wasn't the parking light? You probably had the blinker stalk pushed up or down inadvertently:

Originally Posted by Owner's Manual
The parking light can only be switched on when
the ignition is switched off.
> Move the lever up or down to switch on the
right or left parking light.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pilot Error

Originally Posted by stevepow
Sure it wasn't the parking light? You probably had the blinker stalk pushed up or down inadvertently:
Thanks Steve -- indeed, it was there in the glovebox all the time... I needed to . Classic.

I must've had the turn signal stalk off to one side (the right, in my LH drive drive car).

Now, not so flaky.

But why on earth would I want my LED on when the ignition is off???

Cheers!
Marc
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

This feature has been a feature of European cars for decades. I'm guessing you are new to that. It is a requirement in Germany for example to put your left parking light on when parked on a narrow roadway half on the sidewalk and half in the street. It's there to warn others that you are in the street. At least with an LED equipped car you are burning little of the battery power!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This feature has been a feature of European cars for decades. I'm guessing you are new to that. It is a requirement in Germany for example to put your left parking light on when parked on a narrow roadway half on the sidewalk and half in the street. It's there to warn others that you are in the street. At least with an LED equipped car you are burning little of the battery power!
Right, now explain that rear fog light pull - what's up with that? I have never used this so far...

Rear fog light
Pull switch to second click.
Indicator light on.
Mine only has one-click that I can notice - either pulled out or pushed in. Does that count as two?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The rear fog thing has changed between the 997.1 and 997.2 cars. (There are no fog lights on the 997.2 cars).

Rear fog light have been around for decades. They are useful when you are in very heavy fog as a warning to others who might ride up your backside before they know it. I have only had to resort to using rear fog lights less than a handful of times over the decades. Some parts of Europe really need them, e.g., the UK, and the Netherlands.

They are essentially, as bright as a brake light when on, but within Central Europe, they are on the left side only of the car (so that they cant be confused with brake lights). (In the UK, they have them on both sides). Occasionally , you can see them on a European car in the USA in with broad daylight or at night when the owner of the car doesn't know that he's turned them on--or even know what they are.

They such be used judiciously. ONLY when visibility is so bad that you are at risk from behind. Run without heavy fog, all you do is irritate other drivers with their brightness.

Since the 997.2 lacks fog lights (those LED things are essentially running lights) you only have the single option of turning on rear fog lights with a single stage switch. The 997.1 cars with 'sort of' front fogs utilize a two stage switch--first to activate the front fogs, and a second should use of the rear be necessary.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Since the 997.2 lacks fog lights (those LED things are essentially running lights) you only have the single option of turning on rear fog lights with a single stage switch. The 997.1 cars with 'sort of' front fogs utilize a two stage switch--first to activate the front fogs, and a second should use of the rear be necessary.
A bug in the Manual.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
A bug in the Manual.
It sounds like you're suggesting that Porsche failed to update the 997.2 manual to reflect the changes in lighting from .1 to .2
Old 11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

The 997.2 has bi-xenons std (option on 997.1) and these are so well collimated that front fog lights are not needed. The 997.2 still has the red left rear fog light. The manual is correct IIRC.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like you're suggesting that Porsche failed to update the 997.2 manual to reflect the changes in lighting from .1 to .2
I think so - the explanation of the 1st pull position, and front fog lights, is gone - but the fact that the switch now has only one pull position (versus 2nd click) had not been updated.

Thanks for clarifying - didn't want to pull too hard trying to get another click out of it.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectro28
But why on earth would I want my LED on when the ignition is off???

Cheers!
Marc
Its called a parking light. In locations where you parallel park on a dark, narrow street, this lets your car sit there with a dim lamp on so others can see your car is there and reduce the risk of it being hit. Very useful in European towns that have roads sized in the 1200's.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The 997.2 has bi-xenons std (option on 997.1) and these are so well collimated that front fog lights are not needed. The 997.2 still has the red left rear fog light. The manual is correct IIRC.
Fog lights have allways been so rarely needed, and properly used (daytime foggy conditions ONLY) as to be nothing but BLING.

Quick Reply: Flaky Parking Light - LED stayed on - '10 C2S