Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear Bose speaker box???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear Bose speaker box???

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear speaker box behind the rear seats on my 2007 997 C2?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you need the box? how is the sound without it?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rattle back there and I think it might be coming from the box.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Do you need the box? how is the sound without it?
+1, i am wondering too. i might get a roll bar next season and so the box will have to go.

question: the first step above is to disconnect the battery, but the overall direcs are for removing ECU. so for a simple sound comparison only, can i just leave the batt connected, unattach/unplug the box and listen to music without it? (i'm asking because i know these finicky new cars sometimes don't like when standard electronic things suddenly go M.I.A.)
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had heard that not all roll bars require you to remove the box. I'll be adding a roll bar to my 997 this winter as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAI2
I had heard that not all roll bars require you to remove the box. I'll be adding a roll bar to my 997 this winter as well.
correct and i think the tequipment version may be one of them? it only goes back as far as the rear seat attachment points i think...

however, if you do research and talk to reputable shops, you'll prob find as i did: that type of protection is inferior to bars that have attachment points farther back in cabin (and/or are welded in). that being said, i am still debating on which type, as 1) it's also a daily driver and i like my music and 2) i dont plan on flipping over!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I also heard that the type that attach to the top of the shock towers are better than the rear seat attach points and a welded in one seems to offer the most protection. GMG Racing seem to make nice products that allow full seat movement.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you're building a dedicated track car, there is no need to go back to the shock towers. The chassis isnt even seam welded so you aren't going to see much help in the way of torsional stiffness unless you tie ALL the suspension points.

On the woofer. Gently pry off the plastic port surrounds. Remove the torx bolts (one in each port). Remove the rear seat latches located on the quarter panels. Pull the enclosure forward until you can access the connector on the driver side behind the enclosure. Remove connector, remove woofer.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
The chassis isnt even seam welded so you aren't going to see much help in the way of torsional stiffness unless you tie ALL the suspension points.
good call, didnt even think of that.

Originally Posted by atr911
On the woofer. Gently pry off the plastic port surrounds. Remove the torx bolts (one in each port). Remove the rear seat latches located on the quarter panels. Pull the enclosure forward until you can access the connector on the driver side behind the enclosure. Remove connector, remove woofer.
yep sound easy...but per my other question - can i just "UNplug and play"? i.e. i dont have to disconnect the batt or anything do i?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
good call, didnt even think of that.

yep sound easy...but per my other question - can i just "UNplug and play"? i.e. i dont have to disconnect the batt or anything do i?
I think the battery disconnect was related to the ECU part of that DOC, and the sub-woofer removal was incidental to the process, although well documented with helpful photos.

BTW, why are you pulling the sub?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to disconnect the battery.

Although, it is a good practice to disconnect the neg terminal any time you work on the electrical system.

That said, I rarely do
Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
BTW, why are you pulling the sub?
well, not nece pulling it yet...kind of just want to unplug and hear the stereo sound without it. as mentioned above, i am thinking of a roll bar/seats for next track season but dont know if i want to go with a "lite" option that only bolts to the rear seat points (thereby keeping my sub) or the "official" option which bolts to shock mounts (or however the hell it bolts, but you get my drift). point is, it's a daily driver too so i'm still lamenting how far i have to trade off.

Quick Reply: Removing rear Bose speaker box???