Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Here Driven An Audi R8 and 997 Back To Back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010 | 10:30 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Default Anybody Here Driven An Audi R8 and 997 Back To Back?

I just finished watching the ultimate factories video for the R8. The car is literally handbuilt.

What prompted this is I got to drive one a few weeks ago when I had my Audi in for service. Impressive car but its hard to compare the R8 and 911 back to back.

Anyone done it? Would love to read your input and opinions.
Old 11-04-2010 | 10:54 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I never paid a second thought to an Audi, until I saw the Transporter. It may sound stupid, but that R8 with the W12 rumble was great. The car looks great in black. Back to your question-I took a friend over in my Porsche to test drive an R8 last weekend. I rode with him and liked the car, but it doesn't compare to the Porsche. Please, keep in mind that I did not drive it. I like it, but I like it in the way I like the M5. Actually I like it much more than an M5, but would not buy one over a Porsche.
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:02 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, I drove the R8 last summer, within days of driving two F430 spiders (one stick, one F1), and days later a 997 Turbo.

Eye factor: the R8 draws you. It's got low sexy lines, it is sleek, low to the ground, not something you see around many corners.

Interior quality: R8 was good, as most Audis are (we own an A8L). The carbon was too plasticky and noisy as hell, and was strange looking - looped from left of driver, up and over instrument cluster, down to the right of driver. It made a crap load of squeaky noises, and I only drove the car about 6 miles.

Power: the Audi was quick off the line, and was smooth through all gears. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it sounded DAMN good. 6sp, 8 cyl.

Sound was best on the F1 with top down. Ferrari had me at 'hello' if you know what I mean. It just lures you. But your question was about R8 vs 997.

The 997 Turbo coupe I drove was quick, easy, fun, comfortable, planted, and put a smile on my face. I was in an '04 C4S at the time so moving to this was a sweet change. I now own an '09 Turbo Cab. Could have bought the R8 within the same range (dealer/owner's car). But like I said, from outside, stunning. Power, awesome. Interior, good. But overall for me, the 997 Turbo was it, hands down.

F430 Spider? Sure, but to play in 'that game' requires a hefty up front ante (not talking about the price of your second one at list, but the buy in BS you have to play to get in the game), and it pissed me off. Knew it would sit in the garage more than any other vehicle I've owned. Not an option in my book.

R8 was nice, don't get me wrong. But I did not think I'd have loved it after 6 months. Plus the Turbo is much more utilitarian and functional than the other two.

The turbo cab is a year old, and it still feels new when I get in, and I get pretty damn giddy driving that monster on my daily rides.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-04-2010 | 11:10 PM
brt3
Instructor

The Audi Experience (I think that's what they call their track event school) is situated about 5 miles away from me. I've been at the track when they're running the R8s, and the sound is absolutely intoxicating. This caused me to consider the R8, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Why? Seems the single biggest problem with Audi ownership in my area is the local VW-Audi dealer. My wife had a Phaeton (a great car, seriously) and the local dealer just destroyed the experience for us. It's amazing how crucial having a good dealer can be on high-end cars; it can really make or break the entire ownership experience. A great dealer can make a mediocre car enjoyable to own; a bad dealer can make a phenomenal car hell on earth...
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:21 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Last week we did some upgrades to an R8 V10 - like exhaust, air box and ECU tuning...we were all speechless!
The car is so responsive and feels like a 997 turbo-ish BUT it is not as agile and edgy to drive like a rear engine P-car. Lots of fun!
I could drive it though as a "daily driver"
Still remain a Porsche guy though...
Old 11-05-2010 | 12:10 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by brt3
...I just couldn't pull the trigger. Why? Seems the single biggest problem with Audi ownership in my area is the local VW-Audi dealer....
I have tried to coach several dealerships. Any sales department can sell a car to a customer. But it's the service department that let's them sell more than one to the same person.
Old 11-05-2010 | 12:27 AM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I have tried to coach several dealerships. Any sales department can sell a car to a customer. But it's the service department that let's them sell more than one to the same person.
Sorry for the OT excursion, but my wife has a Lexus. The dealer comes to the house and performs normal warranty maintenance for free. For items on which there's a charge, they still perform the service at your home or office for a very minimal fee. At 14K miles we've had 3 services without paying a penny or setting foot inside a dealership -- and they're a solid 60 to 90 minute drive away. Guess where we'll buy our next daily drivers? I don't love the dynamics (or lack thereof) of most Lexus cars, but this level of service makes it worth it...
Old 11-05-2010 | 12:44 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Here's a great Top Gear oldie but goodie: R8 vs. 911 C2S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaENG1vt6-Y
Old 11-05-2010 | 12:49 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the OT excursion, but my wife has a Lexus. The dealer comes to the house and performs normal warranty maintenance for free. For items on which there's a charge, they still perform the service at your home or office for a very minimal fee. At 14K miles we've had 3 services without paying a penny or setting foot inside a dealership -- and they're a solid 60 to 90 minute drive away. Guess where we'll buy our next daily drivers? I don't love the dynamics (or lack thereof) of most Lexus cars, but this level of service makes it worth it...
I had a Lexus

They have to have great customer service because their cars are so B-O-R-I-N-G to drive
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Ok, confession here... the ONLY reason I ended up buying a 997, was because I wanted an R8!

Part of the Audi Club, I was invited to an Audi driving event in Barcelona Cataluna F1 circuit (back in 2008) to test drive the R8, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I tested both manual and sequential gearbox, and we did corner/braking/slalom practices one day, and another day we just went lapping behind instructors. 16 R8s altogether!

The car is incredible, handles like a dream, fit and finish is PERFECT, looks as good if not better than some Ferraris, sounds great, is comfortable, and has a much better adjustable suspension than PASM (magnetic shocks), and has the best AWD system you can get (apart from GT-R maybe).

After doing the event, I came home and I literally HAD TO HAVE ONE, and I did all I could to buy one... however, at the time, people wanted 25K PREMIUM over MSRP, for even USED R8s! and I simply couldn't afford it. So, having the ITCH and experience of being in a TRUE sports car (I had a heavily modded S4), I had to look around for alternatives, and between RS4, Cayman and 911... ended up with 997 and couldn't be happier.

So, how do they compare? Quite different actually. R8 is wider, heavier, more civilized, much better weight distribution. Straight line is just about the same, but R8 can take corners much better with great ease, and I'd say for MOST drivers it'd be easier to drive at the limit with R8 than 997. Top Gear review is RIGHT on the money I think.

Our head of the local driving club, an avid long-time Porsche fan and instructor sold his GT3 and replaced it with R8-V8, and he said it was a great car/upgrade. In his assessment, GT3 was better in short, twisty tracks, and R8 was better in longer tracks with high speed corners and long straights.

Would I trade my 997 for R8 now? Probably not if its my primary/daily car... I've got used to 911 and how it feels, it's great daily drive car, quite agile and light, formidable on track, and overall does most things right while NOT attracting as much attention as the gorgous R8. If it was for a 2nd car, it'd a very tough call.. I probably go for R8, just for the amazing looks alone!

Here's another video/comparison, I think between this review and Top Gear it covers it perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDgk4lKSo4&feature=fvst
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:39 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Here's a great Top Gear oldie but goodie: R8 vs. 911 C2S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaENG1vt6-Y
Yep and let's not forget that's the 997.1 so the current model would perform even further ahead of the R8
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:44 AM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Holli82
I had a Lexus. They have to have great customer service because their cars are so B-O-R-I-N-G to drive
Yep. Like I said, no dynamics. However, this is an RX350 and my wife loves the hell out of it. It's really not bad at the price -- but it's sure no Cayenne. That being said, they'll have to get much crappier for us to give up the at home service this dealer provides...
Old 11-05-2010 | 01:48 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Yep. Like I said, no dynamics. However, this is an RX350 and my wife loves the hell out of it. It's really not bad at the price -- but it's sure no Cayenne. That being said, they'll have to get much crappier for us to give up the at home service this dealer provides...
How R8 related to Lexus?!?!
Old 11-05-2010 | 09:11 AM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I never paid a second thought to an Audi, until I saw the Transporter. It may sound stupid, but that R8 with the W12 rumble was great. The car looks great in black. Back to your question-I took a friend over in my Porsche to test drive an R8 last weekend. I rode with him and liked the car, but it doesn't compare to the Porsche. Please, keep in mind that I did not drive it. I like it, but I like it in the way I like the M5. Actually I like it much more than an M5, but would not buy one over a Porsche.
That was the A8. The R8 appears in Iron Man.
Old 11-05-2010 | 09:24 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
That was the A8. The R8 appears in Iron Man.
That's exactly what I was saying to myself before I saw you reply !!

Quick Reply: Anybody Here Driven An Audi R8 and 997 Back To Back?