Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to purchase Porsche extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 AM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to purchase Porsche extended warranty?

I have a GTS on order for January delivery. I know very little about the options regarding extended warranties. For something backed by the factory, is there someone out there who's aggressively marketing the warranties at a fair price?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
I have a GTS on order for January delivery. I know very little about the options regarding extended warranties. For something backed by the factory, is there someone out there who's aggressively marketing the warranties at a fair price?
Here's the way the California dealers are handling it. Their staff on the day of your delivery will prepare a bunch of paperwork which will include various options, to include an extended warranty. My dealership uses EasyCare, one of a few such companies. The program includes various levels of coverage along with varying periods of performance (I elected the 100,000 mile, 10 year program because I actually drive my car). Also, some of the beefier programs include an adjunct program with wheel and tire coverage. Everything comes at a price. However, keep in mind that much like the car, the extended warranties are also NEGOTIABLE. The price they quote to you is not set in concrete. If you have good negotiating skills you can work on that. Let's say that you dickered then way down on the price of the car, well, they may recoup some of that with the extended warranty.

Be sure that you understand what it includes and what is not included, and know what the deductibles are. For eaxmple, most of the foo foo stuff is never covered by the extended warranty--but usually will fail within the factory warranty so don't neglect to take care of that stuff while you can within the first 4 years. Don't plan to go fix the PCM in month 50 of a 48 month factory warranty. The extended warranties are generally a smart thing to do with these cars because there are just many issues with these things that can wind up being very expensive. Imagine if you will an engine failure at 6 years into your ownership period when you have 36,000 miles on the car. As ridiculous as that is, are you prepared to pay out $10-15K for a new engine in 6 years? Of course not. Porsche should be on the stick for that but they are getting cheaper all the time with paying for issues that are out of scope of the original warranty. A friend of mine's secretary's Mercedes Benz tranny failed 3 days after the factory warranty expired--and Daimler Benz did nothing for her. You can imagine she's been a Lexus owner ever since.

The other issue that you can ask about is whether you can pay for an extended warranty at around the 45 month period into your ownership, vice paying for it at month 1. The extended warranty guys get the use of your money for at least 4 years before they have to start dishing out money on repairs--if they ever do at all. See if that is an option.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great summary Dan

Thxs
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Nice analysis Dan. I CPO'd my car till 5/13. I drive my car as much as possible with 1300 mile on the odometer in the 5 weeks I have owned it. It is the best driving car I have ever owned. Remember what Ferry said " Porsches are meant to be driven not polished"
Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think CPO is the best thing going. You get a car that's been checked over so you know it's mechanically sound, you don't eat the initial depreciation, and you get a longer warranty than the car was originally sold with (esp. if you buy a CPO car that's only 8-16 months old). If I didn't have specific options in cars I bought, CPO would be my first choice. On "regular" cars like Audis, etc., that's the way I'll do it from now on.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan,

Is your 2006 out of factory warranty? I would be interested in hearing about your positive or otherwise comments on your first hand experience regarding claims via EasyCare that is if you have had any yet.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Sold my 993 a couple months ago and bought a 997. I remember seeing you a few times over on the 993 board and specifically once when you sent me via a PM your article on your Euro delivery and the time you spent driving it around Europe. Awesome story that I have not forgot.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Can you get the CPO on a new car i.e. buy a new car with 6-years, 100k miles warranty?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Dan,

Is your 2006 out of factory warranty? I would be interested in hearing about your positive or otherwise comments on your first hand experience regarding claims via EasyCare that is if you have had any yet.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Sold my 993 a couple months ago and bought a 997. I remember seeing you a few times over on the 993 board and specifically once when you sent me via a PM your article on your Euro delivery and the time you spent driving it around Europe. Awesome story that I have not forgot.
My factory warranty expired in June. While I have not yet exercised the EasyCare process on a mechanical issue I have used them already on tire issues. They paid what they were supposed to pay, but like any of these operations make sure you follow the rules to make your case. I'm sure that they will attempt to avoid payment if they can based upon a technicality!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Can you get the CPO on a new car i.e. buy a new car with 6-years, 100k miles warranty?
AFAIK, the only way to do that ^ is if you can find a car that is a previous model year that the dealer has "punched" to officially get it off their books. The warranty clock starts ticking on the day the car is punched, but the car is still a new car (untitled). If pressed, some dealers will CPO the car because it has less than 4 years remaining on the factory warranty.

This happened on some 2008 model year cars in early calendar year 2009.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Frino
Pro

Here's a non-factory warranty option if you have Geico or are thinking about switching insurance providers; Geico offers mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) that can be added within the first year of new car ownership. Covers everything mechanical for seven years/100K miles with a $250 deductible per visit. You can take your vehicle where ever you want for service.

Cost is approximately $50 every six months.

I've had MBI since my 06 C2S was new. Filed my first claim very recently for the TPMS sensors...which are covered. Dealer quoted me something like $900 for the repair...which will enable a breakeven on 7 years worth of MBI premiums in one visit.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently checked out buying an extended warranty policy for my 2005 Carrera S (only 11,500 miles on the car) and found that the best package/price was from the local Porsche dealer, then AAA, then Easy Care. I was very surprised by the AAA price as it was very close to the Porsche dealer price. I am the second owner.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
stacheman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kuhan
In Canada they are offering the extended warranty on new cars which have been purchased -as long as you are the original owner. I was quoted appro. 3500 on my 09C4S cab. The warranty can be purchased anytime during the first four years.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frino
Here's a non-factory warranty option if you have Geico or are thinking about switching insurance providers; Geico offers mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI) that can be added within the first year of new car ownership. Covers everything mechanical for seven years/100K miles with a $250 deductible per visit. You can take your vehicle where ever you want for service.

Cost is approximately $50 every six months.

I've had MBI since my 06 C2S was new. Filed my first claim very recently for the TPMS sensors...which are covered. Dealer quoted me something like $900 for the repair...which will enable a breakeven on 7 years worth of MBI premiums in one visit.
That sounds like an amazing deal; I'm calling GEICO today to learn more. [EDIT] Just looked online and here's that info: http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/

BTW, I love your P. Long quote; "Trust the grip!" sounds so much like "Feel the Force!". Patrick Long as trackside Yoda; I like it...

Last edited by brt3; 11-01-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Here's the way the California dealers are handling it.
<snip>
Good luck.
I saw your post, above regarding extended warranties. Thanks for the input, particularly since many of them are state specific as I found when i tried to buy on for an Audi S4 Avant.

Maya has decided to keep her 09 2S and rescue it from return-to-lease-purgatory.
but
We won't do so unless we get an extended warranty to cover major failures, the PDK unknown lifespan has me running scared. We're just starting the process of fact finding / negotiating now. I'll start a thread later on the outcome.

Please feel free to add anything you've learned since your original post.

Craig
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The other issue that you can ask about is whether you can pay for an extended warranty at around the 45 month period into your ownership, vice paying for it at month 1. The extended warranty guys get the use of your money for at least 4 years before they have to start dishing out money on repairs--if they ever do at all. See if that is an option.
I don't know this to be a fact, just re-telling what my sales guy told me when I declined extended coverage. Basically, he told me that the longer you wait to get an extended warranty the more it will cost you. That is, the same coverage that you can buy when your car is 1 year, say $X, will cost $X+$Y at year two and $X+$Y+$Z in year three. Like I said, it's not gospel, just what I heard.

Quick Reply: Best way to purchase Porsche extended warranty?