Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT BMW Recall for both HPFP and LPFP

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/art..._Problems.html

Finally BMW is doing something on this issue after numerous complaints
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

This looks like just an official confirmation of the procedures BMW has been using for six months or so that doesn't actually correct the HPFP failures but leaves many cars with severe drivability issues after the new software update. Does BMW have some new HPFP that doesn't fail like the prior 6 models?

According to the numbers in the Press Release, it would appear that BMW is estimating 30% of the 130,000 vehicles will require a replacement HPFP. If the existing HPFP design is defective wouldn't all of the vehicles with these HPFPs require a new HPFP that isn't defective?

BMW's response doesn't sound right to me. Is this just a sham to get the media off their backs?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
REBor8
Advanced

FYI, I just had the HPFP replaced on my '09 C2S @ 47,500 miles. The symtoms were as described in the article...difficult cold starts and decreased performance.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The numbers appear to be a much higher failure rate for BMW than Porsche at this time. However, I think I read that Porsche uses the same supplier but I cant confirm that yet.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

There are many different HPFP designs so you can't really compare them but the BMW x35i models have suffered failures at new car delivery before ever driving off the lot so they have a serious issue.

BMW has used at least three respected HPFP suppliers including Siemens, Bosch and Continental. Some of the OE or replacement pumps have failed within 100 miles. BMW is on pump design #7 and it too fails within a few thousand miles. Some BMW owners have had seven HPFPs replaced on a single vehicle. BMW has had to buy back a lot of these cars under lemon laws.

While HPFPs can fail prematurely the BMW x35i HPFP/fuel system has issues that BMW has been unable to resolve even after five years, which is not good considering the safety issues.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 2008 BMW 535 with 50,000 miles. It has the orignal pump but has given me so many operational problems that I cannot wait to get rid of it. I am happy I have a 2008 911S as I plan to keep the car and hopefully will avoid the problems with DI HPFPs.

Quick Reply: OT BMW Recall for both HPFP and LPFP