Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION: Best Auto Transport Company?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default QUESTION: Best Auto Transport Company?

I have a GTS on order and have two options: either drive it from GA to CA, or hire a transport company. The latter gives me nightmares, though I realize there are some good companies out there.

So far I have bids (for fully enclosed transport) from:

Reliable: $1,750
Momentum: $1,795
Passport: $1,959
[UPDATE] Intercity: $1,926
[UPDATE TWO] Intercity with PCA Discount: $1,838

The dealer also recommends Exotic Auto Transport, but they haven't yet responded with a bid. Momentum states, in their bid, "We do not use storage lots or holding yards like most companies do to ensure their trucks leave with full loads. Your vehicle will stay on one truck and not be transferred to multiple trucks--something common in our industry--which results in damage to your car.". I don't know how big an issue this actually is in the real world.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, I'd appreciate recommendations and suggestions, both positive and negative.

Last edited by brt3; 10-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedyautotrans (05-16-2020)
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe most here including myself have had excellent results with Inter-City.
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-1 I had a terrible result with Intercity. Tough call, if it will be coming in this winter!!

About the transferring trucks, it can be just as bad on one truck as they may have jockey your car around getting other cars out and putting other cars in, especially with your car making that long stretch! You never know if your car goes on first or last.

After my two experiences with transports: motorcycle/car both resulting in damage. I will drive from now on!

Sorry to give you the Negative!

Last edited by tkids; 10-26-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: trucks
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine shipped from Nashua New Hampshire using www.initiallogistics.com Mike Smith in January to Calif @ a cost of $1275 and I had no issue's. And this shipped when they had major storms back east along with Barretts auction going on. Car arrived with no problems.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
I have a GTS on order and have two options: either drive it from GA to CA, or hire a transport company. The latter gives me nightmares, though I realize there are some good companies out there.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, I'd appreciate recommendations and suggestions, both positive and negative.
Without a doubt either Reliable Carriers or Intercity Lines. Both companies transport PCNA cars and PCA-Parade-headed cars. In either case make sure you negotiate that your car will be loaded at the dealer and unloaded at your house without changes in-between.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 PM
wiggy
Instructor

I have used DAS many times and have never had an issue.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM
ChadF
Intermediate

I'd suggest InterCity.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM
edmcnulty
Intermediate

Intercity. Ask for Jim. I think if you tell him you are a PCA member you get a discount. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

I used Horseless Carriage and could not have been happier. They picked-up my car when they said they would, they kept me apprised of its progress (even gave me the driver's cell phone number) and delivered the car when they said they would. The car was on one enclosed truck with the same driver from pick-up to drop-off. It was a flawless transaction.

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by edmcnulty
Intercity. Ask for Jim. I think if you tell him you are a PCA member you get a discount. Good Luck.

Ditto.

Got my '09 Turbo Cab delivered to my door by Jim's guys, and had them take the old C4S Cab to the out of state dealer too.

Perfect delivery.

Hell, I'd fly in and drive the beast back.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not drive it (schedule permitting)? I'm always in a rush to put break in miles on my new 911.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
TooSixy
Racer

I used FedEx Auto Transport. A little pricey, but the service is superb!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

When I bought my last Porsche, my dealer had a dedicated company (a single guy business) to transport its new cars to customers.

He used a single enclosed trailer, towed by his truck, and drove directly from the dealer to my front door. He also gave me his cellphone number, so I could communication with him directly throughout his trip. The car arrived spotless and was never touched since it left the dealer. Very professionally done, and I was very happy about it.

Ask your dealer which transport company they have been using. If they don't have one, then Intercity is a top pick and I had good experiences with them before.

Regards,

Name:  ggg1b.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  55.0 KB
Old 10-26-2010, 09:56 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Why not drive it (schedule permitting)? I'm always in a rush to put break in miles on my new 911.
Driving it back may well be my first choice; I have a separate post about it inside the Carrera GTS thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/7995586-post205.html

My only big concerns about driving it back are:

1. Weather: I'll be taking delivery in the middle of January
2. Security at overnight stops: not a huge issue; I think I have that worked out
3. Protection for the car: I have an unbelievable ClearBra installer near me (Sam at Premier Mobile), but the GA dealer has a paint film installer as well. I just hate to have anyone besides Premier install the film -- they're the best I've seen by far. Haven't yet looked into the SpeedLingerie...
Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
When I bought my last Porsche, my dealer had a dedicated company (a single guy business) to transport its new cars to customers.

He used a single enclosed trailer, towed by his truck, and drove directly from the dealer to my front door. He also gave me his cellphone number, so I could communication with him directly throughout his trip. The car arrived spotless and was never touched since it left the dealer. Very professionally done, and I was very happy about it.

Ask your dealer which transport company they have been using. If they don't have one, then Intercity is a top pick and I had good experiences with them before.
The one guy/one car thing sounds great. Two of the companies on my list were recommended by the dealer I'm buying from...

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Best Auto Transport Company?