Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To CPO or Not

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:24 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know who bears the risk on a CPO, i.e., who reimburses the dealer for repairs? Is it Porsche N.A.? If so, the actuarial analysis may not be as clear cut as in the case of third party insurers, as assumed by some posts above (e.g., At Law and Mike). Porsche may factor in things like customer good will and brand loyalty, providing support for resale values to boost new car sales prices, supporting dealer servicing depts, etc. And does is the dealer reimbursed dollar for dollar, or do they get less than a retail service customer would pay?
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

One year in and mine has almost paid for itself. Water pump started gong. Also a slave cylinder on my clutch was replaced. I would do it just for piece of mind.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
One year in and mine has almost paid for itself. Water pump started gong. Also a slave cylinder on my clutch was replaced. I would do it just for piece of mind.
It's all about peace of mind. Some cars will pay off, others won't. It's the luck of the draw. The OP seems to have no worries about not having the coverage. So for the OP, I'd say don't get it.

My car has been flawless thus far (knock on wood). Two years really isn't that long. My car has been out of its original warranty for almost a year now. I have an extended warranty but I'm really wondering if I'll ever get to use it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

05 carrera...37k miles...IMS problem....CPO warranty...new engine...15-18K plus labor picked up by PCNA.

Try to split the costs and go for it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I had a stuck lifter on my '06 - $6k repair had I not had CPO. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't think Porsche see CPO as insurance - it's just a mechanism for them to sell more cars through their dealers. Also, Porsche don't pay what you pay on the repairs. I bet if you have a problem out of warranty it will cost you bucks but the same problem in warranty probably costs Porsche peanuts. That being the case, it's silly not to spend $2k on CPO unless you're minted and don't care - but if you're minted, why not buy a new car?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes on CPO. Bought my 2007 P car (47,000 miles) with Jan 2011 expiration on warranty and picked up the extended CPO (100,000 or 2 more years). Cost me $2 grand. I knew something wouldl go and Porsche will cover it. Already paid for defective battery, replaced homelink unit inside bumper, antenna for navigation unit. A $2,000 repair on this car is easily foreseeable sometime in the next 2 years. If nothing goes wrong, fine with me for the comfort I've had knowing I had it.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I had a stuck lifter on my '06 - $6k repair had I not had CPO. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't think Porsche see CPO as insurance - it's just a mechanism for them to sell more cars through their dealers. Also, Porsche don't pay what you pay on the repairs. I bet if you have a problem out of warranty it will cost you bucks but the same problem in warranty probably costs Porsche peanuts. That being the case, it's silly not to spend $2k on CPO unless you're minted and don't care - but if you're minted, why not buy a new car?
+997 I think you summed it up perfectly. Do you really think Porsche of NA pays their dealerships the full $130 per hour labor rate.

I paid an extra $3k to extend my CPO 2 years on my MB G-Wagen. It paid for itself easily on little stupid stuff like window regulators and door lock actuators. I will only look at CPO'ed cars for my next 911.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I''d like to think that these cars are built well enough that they won't implode when they reach a certain mileage or place in time. There's so much gloom and doom written about the expense that may be incurred if the car burps or farts...

Quick Reply: To CPO or Not