Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does rain not end up in the battery compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how does rain not end up in the battery compartment?

I keep digging around the car, just to look at stuff.

Since there is no seal on the underside of the hood(Frunk cover) along the side where nearest to the windshield, how does rain water not end up running into the battery compartment? There is an air gap from the plastic piece that hosts the windshield washer sprayers and no visible water channel that I can see to drain the water off to the side. How does the water not end up in a pool in the battery compartment? Or does it drain out for there, and that is the way it is supposed to work?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup! It's a potential nightmare under there for the OCD-inspired (see other recent funny thread )

It's a killer when you realize stuff like that windshield trim has almost zero waterproofing function.

FYI, The only part of the trunk that is supposed to stay dry is the area inside the weather strip. See below.

Good to know next time you're tempted to go full force with a garden hose on certain areas when washing car.

Car shown is a 997.1 Maybe it's been changed?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this car more than I can explain, but it will be the final source of my softball sized ulcer! I gotta stop crawling around the car at night and just go to bed. The good news is that when the sun is up, I'm either at work or pouring gas through the car spinning mile after mile.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

You have discovered that Porsche intentionally put things that can get a bit wet in the wet end of the 'trunk' and those that should be protected in the dry end of things. There are several drains in that area of the aft trunk section that are designed to keep water from collecting in there. For example, on the 996s, many people forget to keep them clear and then they have problems. If you live anywhere or park anywhere where leaves can fall on the windshield area of your car just stay on top of things. Be proactive about watching out for that stuff. It is one of the design flaws in that a stopped up drain or two can shut you down. The water can affect the brake booster and the next thing you know you have a seized engine. (Search on the 996 forum).

Personally, I think it is okay that there are true 'dry' compartments versus semi wet compartments. For example, if your battery has issues it will vent outside the security of the dry compartment. Ditto for failing windshield squirter lines. If they fall of their nozzles they will spray around inside the semi-wet area and not inside the dry portion of the trunk. Just stay on top of the drains!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
Since there is no seal on the underside of the hood(Frunk cover) along the side where nearest to the windshield, how does rain water not end up running into the battery compartment? There is an air gap from the plastic piece that hosts the windshield washer sprayers and no visible water channel that I can see to drain the water off to the side. How does the water not end up in a pool in the battery compartment? Or does it drain out for there, and that is the way it is supposed to work?
Yeah, water can get in there, and there are drains, as Edgy says you need to keep them clear if you are OCD like us.

I believe there's no problem with water in normal rain conditions, because the drains and channels can handle the amount of water that the sky can drop.

However, there *is* a problem if you dump massive amounts of water on the car, because the drains can't clear it fast enough. There was a guy who parked under a gutter spout and had his car wrecked because the water flow was too much for the drains.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Didn't anyone tell you? You are not supposed to drive your Porsche in the rain!

Quick Reply: how does rain not end up in the battery compartment?