997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 911 s/turbo/

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010 | 01:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

C6 Corvette Z06 will plant you in your seat.
Old 10-14-2010 | 01:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thrashx
The overall sensation I felt in the 911 was something like being on a fast train. Yes, it's going fast but I didn't feel that seesaw effect from traditional front engine vehicles. To me it also seemed to make a disproportionate level of noise compared to the g-force feeling I felt from the acceleration. I'm not sure if this was due to rear engine, low ride height, tight handling or perhaps turbo lag. It also felt like one needed to hammer down the pedal to feel the thrust.

On my Cayenne pressing on the pedal delivers an increasing sense of acceleration no matter how lightly or hard I press. I should also state that admittedly I may have been ***** footing the vehicle due to unfamiliarity. Sure enough the sales guy took over and gave me the real tour and it was quite scary fast. I admit that the car handles as Julia Roberts might say "like it's on rails"

I do plan to test drive the 911 Carrera S with PDK to see if that is more to my liking. Honestly, where I get my thrills is in 0-100 bursts.
I am not really sure what are you describing. The 911 feel is totally different than Cayenne and to most it's much better, but if not to you, then that's what matters!

Maybe on Turbo you were getting a bit of turbo lag, however, the power after turbos kick in is insane... so not sure what you mean it didn't feel fast.

Yes, it's going fast but I didn't feel that seesaw effect from traditional front engine vehicles.
I think this explains it. The car is PLANTED and doesn't have the same kind of weight transfter in Cayenne, or CTS-V, which may explain the feel, and it is MUCH SUPERIOR fundementally, as the weight is mostly behind you.

It doesn't sound like you're much into racing... so as others said, you need to buy what FEELS BEST to YOU! on the street. Don't worry about brand, HP, what forums people say, etc... just get the car that put the most grin on your face. Any of the cars on your list is superior to 90% of the cars on the streets.
Old 10-14-2010 | 01:48 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I like cars that when you accelerate make you feel like you have to grip the dash and hold on for dear life even though your really not going that fast. The weight transfer and body roll has to be significant enough to whack a passenger's head into the side window and force the tires to scream when making even a slow corner entry feel like it was taking like a race car driver would.
I guess the Turbo just isn't the car for me. /end sarcasm
Old 10-14-2010 | 02:05 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

All sarcasm aside, some of the most fun I have in my cars comes towards the end of the useful life of the tires when I've got no grip and I can slide through any corner even at 15mph. There's a lot to be said for low limits and driving entertainment. I can see the issue from both sides.

I think Alex has got it figured out -- the rear-engine design of the 911 is intended specifically to eliminate that see-saw squirminess off the line. If a driver has come to associate that specific sensation with performance a 911 is apt to feel oddly sterile and underwhelming.

It reminds me a feature in modern telephones called "comfort noise generation." With voice over IP and digital audio for telephones, silence truly is silence -- dead air. When the first digital phones hit the market people were uncomfortable with the total silence, thinking the call had dropped. Modern phones introduce some fake noise into your calls, reducing fidelity and sound quality, but eliminating that discomfort and confusion from people with decades of expectation that phone calls are sort of noisy. CNG makes worse phone calls that feel more "natural" and comfortable for callers. It's a worse call, technically, but nobody asks "are you still there?" every few minutes.

Or similarly how PDK in sport mode intentionally makes the shifts a little bit more jarring, not because that's faster but because people's experience with torque converters and manual transmissions makes them associate jerky shifting with fast acceleration.
Old 10-14-2010 | 02:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thrashx
I'd be into this.
On this note -- I don't know which corner of Texas you're in.

I'll be at MSR Cresson (near DFW) the weekend after next (23rd/24th) and Eagle's Canyon (also near DFW) on the 25th.
I'll be at H2R (south of Austin) November 20th.
Not sure when I'll be back out at MSR Houston or Texas World Speedway (College Station).

If any of those dates/locations align with your schedule, drop me a line.
Old 10-14-2010 | 04:21 PM
thrashx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nugget
On this note -- I don't know which corner of Texas you're in.

I'll be at MSR Cresson (near DFW) the weekend after next (23rd/24th) and Eagle's Canyon (also near DFW) on the 25th.
I'll be at H2R (south of Austin) November 20th.
Not sure when I'll be back out at MSR Houston or Texas World Speedway (College Station).

If any of those dates/locations align with your schedule, drop me a line.
I'm in the DFW area and the 25th would be awesome. I'll send you a private message with contact info.
Old 10-14-2010 | 04:34 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a fellow instructor, I'm glad you're taking him up on the offer, I think it will open your eyes. Please share your thoughts afterwards.
Old 10-14-2010 | 05:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nugget
Or similarly how PDK in sport mode intentionally makes the shifts a little bit more jarring, not because that's faster but because people's experience with torque converters and manual transmissions makes them associate jerky shifting with fast acceleration.
The reason that PDK shifts in sport and sport plus are sharper or more "jarring" as you put it, is because while in normal mode, for greater comfort, engine torque is reduced when shifting, in sport mode it is reduced only slightly, and in sport plus it's not reduced at all. Since there is little or no reduction in torque, performance is, in fact, improved by this shift strategy. This info is paraphrased from the 2009 Porsche Technik introduction for the Carrera.
Old 10-14-2010 | 05:27 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The reason that PDK shifts in sport and sport plus are sharper...
Ah, excellent. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-14-2010 | 08:40 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
Maybe on Turbo you were getting a bit of turbo lag, however, the power after turbos kick in is insane... so not sure what you mean it didn't feel fast.

. so as others said, you need to buy what FEELS BEST to YOU! on the street. Don't worry about brand, HP, what forums people say, etc... just get the car that put the most grin on your face.
Yes good points. Turbo is insanely fast for a road car. Was just compared equally "insanely" fast to the 959; same word "insanely" also used by reviewer in a review recently posted. "Insane" fastness is the opposite of OP saying it "didn't feel fast."

Conclusion: So-called sanity aside you (the OP) need not worry about what people say in these forums. You (the OP) should get the Cadillac.

(joking . What I really mean: get what you want and be happy! )

Quick Reply: Considering 911 s/turbo/