Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/595970-value-of-2008-mexico-blue-997s.html)

dw.metro 10-12-2010 11:53 AM

Value of 2008 Mexico Blue 997S

My wife and I saw the most beautiful Mexico Blue Porsche 997 two weekends ago here in Vancouver. We stopped dead on our tracks and now we are interested in this car in Chicago:

http://usedcars.westmontporsche.com/...ition_id=10426

2008 997S with only 2800 miles at a Porsche Dealer in Chicago. Asking price is $74,997. Here are the options,

Mexico Blue Paint to Sample Exterior
Black Standard Leather Interior
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
342 - Heated Seats
810 - Floor Mats
XXZ - Aluminum Foot Rest
680 - Bose Audio System
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
XRR - 19" Carrera Sport Wheels
24931 - Exterior Color to Sample
789 - 997 Paint to Sample
XXF - Red Taillights
CGA - Body Colored Headlight Washer
XDA - Wheels Painted Black
XAA - Aerokit
DAT - Alcantara Shifter and Handbrake
CLA - Alcantara Steering Wheel

Based on the above, what is a fair price for this car? How much of a premium is Mexico Blue?

Thank you.

soverystout 10-12-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 7968094)
My wife and I saw the most beautiful Mexico Blue Porsche 997 two weekends ago here in Vancouver. We stopped dead on our tracks and now we are interested in this car in Chicago:

http://usedcars.westmontporsche.com/...ition_id=10426

2008 997S with only 2800 miles at a Porsche Dealer in Chicago. Asking price is $74,997. Here are the options,

Mexico Blue Paint to Sample Exterior
Black Standard Leather Interior
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
342 - Heated Seats
810 - Floor Mats
XXZ - Aluminum Foot Rest
680 - Bose Audio System
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
P77 - Leather Sport Seats
XRR - 19" Carrera Sport Wheels
24931 - Exterior Color to Sample
789 - 997 Paint to Sample
XXF - Red Taillights
CGA - Body Colored Headlight Washer
XDA - Wheels Painted Black
XAA - Aerokit
DAT - Alcantara Shifter and Handbrake
CLA - Alcantara Steering Wheel

Based on the above, what is a fair price for this car? How much of a premium is Mexico Blue?

Thank you.

Mexico blue is no more of a premium than Speed yellow. It all depends what a particular buyer is looking for.

It's been said that barring a power kit and aero kit options that no options truly jack the price of one particular Pcar over another. Many people may hate mexico blue. I think it is a fantastic color and would probably spend a few more bucks to get one. But the dealer doesn't need to know that.....

alexb76 10-12-2010 12:29 PM

No premium for Mexico Blue, no colour really adds much premium, while some colors add negative value! ;)

The car looks like very well optioned though, if you are into the Aerokit. I'd offer high 60s, see what do you get back. I think good value is between 68-71.

RollingArt 10-12-2010 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like the perfect car to me!!!

Paint to sample blues are the most desirable option Porsche has to offer. This car would be a good deal at twice that price!

This car is still practically brand new. Maybe $68k?

Great looking car. Mine's Riviera blue. The Rivi looks several shades lighter here because it's an outdoors photo. Parked side by side in the shade you can't tell the two colors apart.

Good luck with your hunt.

Phil

VGM911 10-12-2010 01:37 PM

If you buy this Mexico Blue 911, I believe that the number of people who would buy it from you when you're ready to sell would be relatively small. Say what you will about silver, black, white, and gray, but these colors move easily through the used car market.

This means that it would take you longer to sell it and/or that the color will rear its "negative value" aspect and drive down your selling price.

On the other hand, the argument can always be made that you should buy what you like, and not worry about what comes later.

Good luck.

ELUSIVE 10-12-2010 01:47 PM

I agree with VGM911
if you really like the Mexico Blue, then you should buy it.
And as pretty as some may find it, I think most would shy away from actually owning it. This will ultimately bring down (not up) the price. Unless of course you live in a town of Smurfs.

mrzoop 10-12-2010 02:01 PM

here's a link to a recent thread about blue...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sandy-ego.html

my opinion is that paint to sample blue has quite a following here. it also seems that folks are willing to SPEND a premium for these. by premium, i'd put this at $10K over what a similar (non blue) sample should go for. i would also add that this seems like a quite limited options list for this price range. i'm speaking from recent experience here as i picked one of these up with many more options and similar miles for $10K less. let me be clear, mine is still a nice color, just not blue.

alexb76 10-12-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrzoop (Post 7968458)
here's a link to a recent thread about blue...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...sandy-ego.html

my opinion is that paint to sample blue has quite a following here. it also seems that folks are willing to SPEND a premium for these. by premium, i'd put this at $10K over what a similar (non blue) sample should go for. i would also add that this seems like a quite limited options list for this price range. i'm speaking from recent experience here as i picked one of these up with many more options and similar miles for $10K less. let me be clear, mine is still a nice color, just not blue.

$10K premium? Are you kidding... NO WAY! It'd be actually harder to re-sell a blue colour!

mattmotos 10-12-2010 02:18 PM

Napleton Westmont Porsche in Illinois has one that is pretty sweet.

VGM911 10-12-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mattmotos (Post 7968506)
Napleton Westmont Porsche in Illinois has one that is pretty sweet.

Ummmm, this is the one referenced in the original post. And there's a link to it in that post if anyone's interested in it.

Dave I 10-12-2010 03:51 PM

Have to disagree that there is a significant premium for a paint to sample color. I sold a Minerva Blue 996GT3 two years ago, and while there were a ton of compliments raving about the color, when it comes down to serious buyers the actual pool is quite small, almost non-existent. If you take it to the dealer and try to trade, they give you -0- premium and maybe even less because they know they aren't going to move the car unless they come across a very specific individual. Of course, when they are selling, it's a different story.

Agree with the previous posters that think 68k is a good price.

chago996 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

The one in sandy ego sold within a few days, just last week. Hard to say if it was because of the color, S, the options, or the fact that it was an '08 with 10k miles which was probably cpo'ed which would have added 2 more yrs of warranty on top of probably one yr left if punched in 07, plus 90k miles added. And made this S a steel at around $60-65, (asking was in mid 70's). I think it was all those put together.

Nugget 10-12-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE (Post 7968422)
And as pretty as some may find it, I think most would shy away from actually owning it. This will ultimately bring down (not up) the price.

That addresses the "demand" side of the equation, but not the "supply" side. There are tens of thousands of cautious shoppers who are paralyzed with with resale worries. Consequently, the universe is overflowing with boring-colored Porsches. This ultimately brings down (not up) the price of the silver cars. :)

I think it's all a wash in the end. The difference in resale between a garish color and a boring color is less than you're going to spend on tires. That's not an exaggeration. It's statistical noise in the grand scheme of costs. Therefore you should just buy the color that thrills you (even if it's silver) and enjoy your car.

Graygoose997 10-12-2010 04:12 PM

Like every other Porsche option, it is for your pleasure.
Just don't expect the next guy to pay for it, too .

dw.metro 10-12-2010 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I spoke with a salesman at the dealer and he gave me the customary comment of: "We only had this car for two weeks and there really isn't a lot of room on the price except for maybe a couple of thousand dollars". Hardly motivating for me to take the next flight to Chicago. It could be a bit of a waiting game...

TommyV44 10-12-2010 05:59 PM

People that like it are going to "love it" for that color!

Do not wory about re-sale as it'll take care of itself....someone will love it just as much as you do now and you only need one buyer. It's a great color (Mine is blue turquiose so I'm a bit biased) but it won't be arouind very long and the only way you'll get another is to order it new so my recommendation would be not to be too independent....if it gets away it's gone!

All the best,

Tom

soverystout 10-12-2010 06:21 PM

That car is really nice. It has all of the options I like with none that I don't. The color would be a huge plus to me but again the dealer would never know that.

The only issue? Way too much $$$ for what it is.

ELUSIVE 10-12-2010 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 7968813)
That addresses the "demand" side of the equation, but not the "supply" side. There are tens of thousands of cautious shoppers who are paralyzed with with resale worries. Consequently, the universe is overflowing with boring-colored Porsches. This ultimately brings down (not up) the price of the silver cars. :)

I think it's all a wash in the end. The difference in resale between a garish color and a boring color is less than you're going to spend on tires. That's not an exaggeration. It's statistical noise in the grand scheme of costs. Therefore you should just buy the color that thrills you (even if it's silver) and enjoy your car.

Well said. I completely agree.

Kuhan 10-12-2010 07:35 PM

The main reason the price of that car is so high is the low mileage. If you look at other 08s, they range from low 60s to high 70s based on mileage.

You could get an ordinary colour '09 with 10-15k miles for less than that blue is priced at.

Here's another blue PTS 08 with 20k miles for $65

http://pictures.dealer.com//b/bertsm...681690105b.jpg

MUSSBERGER 10-12-2010 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kuhan (Post 7969381)
The main reason the price of that car is so high is the low mileage. If you look at other 08s, they range from low 60s to high 70s based on mileage.

You could get an ordinary colour '09 with 10-15k miles for less than that blue is priced at.

Here's another blue PTS 08 with 20k miles for $65

http://pictures.dealer.com//b/bertsm...681690105b.jpg

A paint to sample Carrera?

Kuhan 10-12-2010 08:16 PM

Pioneer Centres in Mirimar CA has a mexico blue 08 C2 with 10k miles and listed at $72k.

Edgy01 10-13-2010 12:03 AM

This is one of the better observations.

VGM911 10-13-2010 04:15 PM

I disagree with this argument to some extent. If the Mexico Blue Porsche were a collectible (think Ferrari 330 GTC, gemstones, art, coins, etc.), its rarity (by virtue of its color and limited production) would tend to support/increase its price, or at least reduce the rate of its depreciation.

On the other hand, the commonality of certain colors (like silver, black, etc.) creates a broad marketplace of value/price setting (somewhat like the stock market) where common units are easily priced and trade fluidly. In essence, this is the used car market (not the collectible car market).

If you take an asset like a Mexico Blue Porsche 911, introduce it into the used car market, and give a substantial number of potential buyers a reason to shun it because it's not a widely accepted color, then the car will be on the market longer and in most cases, assets that "sit" rather than get sold tend to suffer from subsequent reductions in asking price.

That's why cars sporting unusual colors carry much less demand than you might think. They're admired, perhaps, but few people step forward to actually buy them at a premium price.

Nugget 10-13-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by VGM911 (Post 7971661)
That's why cars sporting unusual colors carry much less demand than you might think. They're admired, perhaps, but few people step forward to actually buy them at a premium price.

I'm aware that this is the conventional wisdom on the subject but that just hasn't been my experience at all. Just to be clear, though, I'm not suggesting that lurid colors carry a premium price. My observation is simply that it's not easier to sell a mundane color for a reasonable price than it is for a less common color and that resale concerns shouldn't influence a buyer's color choice. It's just not a significant factor on either end of transaction.

VGM911 10-13-2010 06:25 PM

Here's a survey that means quite little regarding the people who have posted to this thread and whose cars can be identified by color either in their avatar or in their profile:

Findings:
8 respondents have somewhat "subdued" colors (including me)
4 respondents (Rolling Art, Elusive, MrZoop, and Edgy) have "vivacious" colors

Conclusions:
None

Nugget 10-13-2010 06:29 PM

I appreciate your word choices of "subdued" and "vivacious"

GHills 10-13-2010 06:30 PM

OK, now let's substitute "ruffled leather" for "unusual color".

I think we can agree that the selling price is now: leave it parked in a disreputable area with the keys in it.

George from MD 10-13-2010 06:33 PM

You could briefly haggle and get it for 72K I'm sure.

Or you could tell the dealer to call you when the price is whatever you want to pay (68K?). Winter is coming. And that car isn't going to fly off the lot. And there are- always- always- always- others.

Is it worth the 4 extra K to you to haggle a bit and get it now? Only you can decide.

At any rate the original buyer sure took a bath- I'm sure he lost over 30K on the original purchase price. That alone would say, to me, what the color is worth.

George from MD 10-13-2010 06:36 PM

Well he's told you can get it for 72K.

You could tell the dealer to call you when the price is whatever you want to pay (68K?). Winter is coming. And that car isn't going to fly off the lot. And there are- always- always- always- others.

Is it worth the 4 extra K to you to get it now? Only you can decide.

At any rate the original buyer sure took a bath- that alone to me would say what the color is worth.

dw.metro 10-13-2010 08:56 PM

The original list I was told was $108,000 but I'm not looking at this as a deal based on what someone else is losing. From what everyone is saying, $68,000- $70,000 is a fair price with CPO. From my discussion with the salesperson, this is not even in the ballpark according to him. The car will have to sit before the price will come down. I don't think he knows about the recession and the upcoming winter around the corner...

TommyV44 10-13-2010 10:13 PM

What about me....same color as Dan's and from your state no less ;)!

Tom

Edgy01 10-13-2010 10:16 PM

What I do know is that many on the 993 forum truly like the unusual colors. They really jump at the opportunity to get an unusual colored car. Is this because the cars are older, or because they are from a different socio-economic group? I don't think so. I think there is serious interest in something other than the mundane.

PHDX2 10-14-2010 12:14 AM

Love the gumball colors! :cheers:

timmp 10-14-2010 12:27 AM

You know, finding a car in a color you love (that will be hard to find), with options you desire, is worth some extra money. As has been pointed out, at this price level, especially buying used, if that was THE car, I would negotiate and then buy.

Winter is coming, but will another car in this color/option combo pop up? Hard to say....

best of luck!

tim

VGM911 10-14-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TommyV44 (Post 7972592)
What about me....same color as Dan's and from your state no less ;)!

Tom

Tom, you were not included in the survey because there's no descriptive information in your profile that would indicate the color of your car. Nor do we know if you have a Porsche.

Bruce R 10-14-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 7972398)
The original list I was told was $108,000 but I'm not looking at this as a deal based on what someone else is losing. From what everyone is saying, $68,000- $70,000 is a fair price with CPO. From my discussion with the salesperson, this is not even in the ballpark according to him. The car will have to sit before the price will come down. I don't think he knows about the recession and the upcoming winter around the corner...

I normally one of the first to respond to a Smurf thread, excuse my tardiness. ;)
Sounds like the dealer is willing to go to $72k with little pushing and you've stated that $70k is fair, right? Hell you are $2k apart, will you really miss the $2k when the car is back in your garage? $2k is a set of Michelin’s!
And apart from the color this is a nicely (hate that word!) optioned car, Aerokit and painted XRR's with low miles.

tincanman99 10-14-2010 02:03 PM

Best Saying For This

My friend says this:

"the value of something is determined by what people are willing to pay for it"

If you think the blue has extra value and you dont mind paying thats fine. If not thats fine too.

I think its an awesome color. There are so many blah colors on the road today. People are entirely to obsessed about retail value and offending others.

What can I say - so be boring.

VGM911 10-14-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tincanman99 (Post 7974029)
I think its an awesome color. There are so many blah colors on the road today.

Well, I'm curious enough to ask (and certainly not to put you on the spot!)...given that you see Mexico Blue as awesome, what color car do you have?

TommyV44 10-14-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by VGM911 (Post 7973367)
Tom, you were not included in the survey because there's no descriptive information in your profile that would indicate the color of your car. Nor do we know if you have a Porsche.

Fair enough..............here's mine with apologies to Edgy ;)! Porsche wouldn't approve my original PTS choice (Champagne yellow) and then I saw his and after a few e-mails back & forth..........that was as they say that!!! Love it!

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...08/Unnamed.jpg

[IMG]http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/j...rsche007-1.jpg[/IMG]

Tom

henrysko 10-14-2010 07:48 PM

Nice!

TommyV44 10-14-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by henrysko (Post 7974968)
Nice!

Thanks!:thumbup:

VGM911 10-14-2010 08:12 PM

Nice, Tom. Thanks for the picture.

TommyV44 10-14-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by VGM911 (Post 7975034)
Nice, Tom. Thanks for the picture.

My pleasure!!!

Alan C. 11-18-2010 06:19 PM

To the OP. I saw the car at Napleton's about a week ago. As I approached the dealership that car stood out from of all the cars on the lot. It was gorgeous.

scott10s 11-18-2010 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love Mexico Blue. Bought my '06 C4S in August. Tired of all the silver, grey, black. I've had nothing but complements. I love the "vintage" appearance of the color. It reminds me of the cars from the 60's.

dw.metro 11-18-2010 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Alan C. (Post 8068011)
To the OP. I saw the car at Napleton's about a week ago. As I approached the dealership that car stood out from of all the cars on the lot. It was gorgeous.

Yes, I saw it too just over a week ago. The Mexico Blue sure made all their other cars look sedate. If only my 06 C2 would sell here in Vancouver....

Alan C. 11-19-2010 01:57 AM

Good luck on getting the 08. It looks like a keeper.

dianic 11-19-2010 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by scott10s (Post 8068331)
I love Mexico Blue. Bought my '06 C4S in August. Tired of all the silver, grey, black. I've had nothing but complements. I love the "vintage" appearance of the color. It reminds me of the cars from the 60's.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...s-img_0340.jpg

Scott that looks great. Reminds me of the gulf color... thoughts of an orange touch somewhere? go for it! even if its a tiny gulf sticker... tons on ebay!

To the OP: The purchase of such a car, especially if you have one already and want to trade up is a completely emotional decision. Having said that, you have nothing to lose to low ball it, and see if it works. If it doesnt, just pay up! My suggestion is to skip the sales person and talk to the manager. I hate these sales guys that know everything and talk about room to drop being 2 grand and all. Talk to someone else who wants to make a deal, and not pi$$ around. All you need to do is show that you are a serious buyer. I cant believe that 2k will ruin that deal. Having said that, be sure they wll KILL you in your trade in! So that their sales man can say to the next guy that wants a silver car with black wheels "oh little room on that one" and make 5k!!!! Good luck...

ecostellodo 11-19-2010 11:35 PM

I really love the PTS blue.

But the car has manual seats.

eric

stilljester 11-20-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by scott10s (Post 8068331)

Did you buy this in CA? I think we we're both after the same car but I was a week to late. Congrats on your purchase and please let me know if you ever go to sell it.

Imsorry 11-20-2010 02:00 PM

I say make an aggressive offer. You love the color, but the dealer doesn't have to know that. Take all the negatives about resale and throw it at the sales guy. The dealer is just as worried that they'll sit on the car as you are that you may lose it to another buyer. Use the same tactic back at him and let him know you're debating over another car from another dealer....at least that what I'd do.

Alan C. 11-20-2010 05:08 PM

The thing that appeals to me most about this car is that it was specd, ordered and sold at the same dealership. Not to mention that the miles are low.

scott10s 11-21-2010 11:59 AM

I did pick it up in California. If I ever decide to sell, you'll be the first to know.

stilljester 11-10-2012 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by scott10s (Post 8073915)
I did pick it up in California. If I ever decide to sell, you'll be the first to know.

Scott10s - Still have the C4s? I was thinking about the car today...

scott10s 11-10-2012 07:52 PM

Yep. Took it for a little spin today. It hadn't been out of the garage in about a week. A little over 42K miles on it now. Still loving, but I'll let you know when it's ready to move on to someone else ; )

cvtbenhogan 11-10-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 8068635)
Yes, I saw it too just over a week ago. The Mexico Blue sure made all their other cars look sedate. If only my 06 C2 would sell here in Vancouver....

DW, I can drive by Napleton and take a look at the car for you. It's just a mile from my house.

rotesAuto 11-10-2012 08:25 PM

sweet ass color indeed

RollingArt 11-11-2012 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan (Post 9989094)
DW, I can drive by Napleton and take a look at the car for you. It's just a mile from my house.

Dude,
this thread is now 2 years old.

This car was bought by RL'er Pissedpuppy 2 years ago.

cvtbenhogan 11-11-2012 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by RollingArt (Post 9989674)
Dude,

:banghead:

dw.metro 11-11-2012 02:23 AM

^ Thanks for being so gracious to offer to look at a car for me even though the timing is off. The gesture is appreciated and it warms my heart that there are great people like you out there! Thank you, DW

f4 plt 11-11-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 8068635)

Is that your silver Carrera in your signature? If so, it looks like a duck tail rear spoiler, where did you get it? Thanks

rotesAuto 11-11-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RollingArt (Post 9989674)
Dude,

holy crap!!! I should never have left a comment jesus!!!!!!!!:bigbye:

cvtbenhogan 11-11-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by dw.metro (Post 9989799)
^ Thanks for being so gracious to offer to look at a car for me even though the timing is off. The gesture is appreciated and it warms my heart that there are great people like you out there! Thank you, DW

Many Thanks. We are all cars nuts after all.

dw.metro 11-11-2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by f4 plt (Post 9989897)
Is that your silver Carrera in your signature? If so, it looks like a duck tail rear spoiler, where did you get it? Thanks

Yes, it's a Getty Design ducktail. PM me if you would like more pics.

pissedpuppy 11-11-2012 02:38 PM

Funny thing is, I don't recall ever seeing this thread 2 years ago!!

Car had a 108K list, purchased for 67500 including shipping to SF ( think it had 2950 miles on it then - just turned over 10,000 this week.

What's even funnier, was thinking of taking it to the stealership to gauge current value....want GT3, not sure if I can enjoy it to its extent though