Sponsored by:

Wheel/Tire Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:09 PM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel/Tire Insurance?

Those of you who have purchased wheel/tire insurance, can you share some details about what's covered/not covered etc.

I'll be picking up my car in a couple of weeks and am trying to decide whether or not to buy the insurance.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

When I bought my '07, it covered any damage to the wheel or tire. A nail in a rear tire got a replacement PS2, which paid for the cost of the insurance. It included aftermarket wheels too.

I consider this a "must have".
Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 PM
morecarl
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing that cosmetic damage (e.g. curbing) is not included. Can anyone confirm.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Tapper911
5th Gear

I purchased wheel and tire coverage. Does not cover cosmetic damage to wheels. I have been thru 7 PS2s and they covered tire, mounting, balance.. Too many potholes. Well worth it.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

paid $600 for 5yr. Had 1 PS2 replaced already. As w/ any insurance, the co will opt for repair vs replacement.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I got mine when I got my extended warranty (to 100,000 miles and 10 years). It was not that much more to purchase it. They cover the tire and the wheel. If the wheel is damaged by road issues (pot holes) of course it's covered. If damaged by you hitting a curb you're out of luck. They replace the tires rather than repair the tires, IAW Porsche policy about repairing high performance tires.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How much is the price per set, or per wheel? I have always self-insured these risks, but I have ruined five or six wheels/tires altogether in two cars.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:30 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

It was ~$600 for all.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the fine print. For instance I heard some contracts require the tire to go back to the original dealer ONLY. They might specify hard-to-fulfill BS conditions which make it a huge PITA or impossible to get satisfaction with your claim.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like batteries aren't these policies "pro-rated" for tread depth?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:08 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Reading the fine print is a good idea. Many of these policies only cover wheel damage if the wheel is damaged to the extent that the tire will not seat properly to hold air. Simply bending one in many cases will not get you a new wheel. Another poster asked if the warranties prorated the cost of the replacement tire based on tread depth. I know that on many of these warranties the tire does have to have a "minimal" tread depth remaining (defined in the policy) for you to be able to get a replacement tire. This prevents a policy holder from putting a nail in a tire that is getting worn out and getting a new tire. I think there is also a time limitation on the warranty also.

Obviously some people on this board have had success with the warranties, but remember, if all policy holders benefited from the warranty, the companies would be out of business. Insurance companies are not in the business of writing polices that benefit the customer at the expense of the company.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

My old boss banged up his wheels regularly (what a putz) and had the insurance so it worked out well for him. Of course he had large diameter bling-master wheels on a 7-series BMW so there you go.

My wheel insurance is multiple spares. I think I have 3 sets of wheels now as I recently sold one set. One is on the car, one is mounted with winter tires (which could be used any time of year in a pinch) and one is ...um... well... sure. (they were for track use before I stopped tracking my 997).

I did hit a curb as a very effective way to stop my car from continuing a slide on ice. I recommend this as it is so effective and fast. However both driver's side wheels needed some attention afterwards - this cost me about $250 IIRC.

OK, here's my point. If you drive with some appreciation of the road ahead and reasonable avoidance skills, then even in Detroit (my old stomping grounds) you will rarely damage a wheel and the insurance is not needed. If on the other hand you can't help yourself from hitting any curb or irregularity in the road, then you should either have insurance or run flat tires or both.

I've never had a flat in my 997S and it has been years since any other car of mine has (last one was a 335i with a nail in the tire). I don't buy the insurance.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Frino
Pro

$800 for five year wheel and tire policy purchased from P-car dealer.

Dealer does replace-only repairs (no patches). Have had two rear flats since purchasing policy...dealer cost for tire and repair services was approximately $600 for each flat.

With an approximate break-even after one flat, wheel-tire insurance is a no brainer in my book.

UPDATE: Went to dealer yesterday and got a quote to renew my w/t insurance plan with In-Tire which expires in 9 months. New quote was $1,385 for 5 year plan...

Last edited by Frino; 10-12-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you get insurance even with a 4 year old car? Who has the best, most complete insurance?
TIA
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Reading the fine print is a good idea. Many of these policies only cover wheel damage if the wheel is damaged to the extent that the tire will not seat properly to hold air. Simply bending one in many cases will not get you a new wheel. Another poster asked if the warranties prorated the cost of the replacement tire based on tread depth. I know that on many of these warranties the tire does have to have a "minimal" tread depth remaining (defined in the policy) for you to be able to get a replacement tire. This prevents a policy holder from putting a nail in a tire that is getting worn out and getting a new tire. I think there is also a time limitation on the warranty also.

Obviously some people on this board have had success with the warranties, but remember, if all policy holders benefited from the warranty, the companies would be out of business. Insurance companies are not in the business of writing polices that benefit the customer at the expense of the company.
Agree totally!

I choose not to purchase these warranties, if I'm unfortunate enough to suffer a flat then it will be out of my pocket, but I sure don't want to be in the position of wishing I would get a flat so I could justify my warranty purchase.
Whats next brake insurance?

Quick Reply: Wheel/Tire Insurance?