Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First extremely spirited drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts
Default First extremely spirited drive...

Ok, so to recap...bought the car in June with 6K miles and have already put 3K miles in just about 3 months. Previous owner took a $40K depreciation hit to keep this car a garage queen and I get to be the benefactor

I've taken a few spirited drives in the Bay Area with my 911 (mostly Skyline blvd in Woodside) but today I went to the East Bay and spent about an hour on one of the most scenic roads in the area - Grizzly Peak Blvd (which I highly recommend to Bay Area Rennlisters).

Random brain dump
The car was fantastic. For the first time I drove almost a full hour with 2 hands on the wheel carving through twisties at what felt like the edge of its limits (though I'm sure it was the edge of my skill level more than anything). The steering felt sublime. So much power through uphill curves. A couple of times I noticed on downhill turns that there was a light scrape sound when I mashed on the brakes (not sure if this was from the tire or perhaps the bottom plastic of the front bumper ever so slightly kissing the road). I must admit I still am getting used to the weight distribution of the car. There are times when I'm on the gas through a tight turn and it feel the rear end losing grip, and I get a little paranoid and slow down. After a thorough whipping the car just felt much smoother and tighter on the drive home (prob mostly from warmed up tires but shifter-clutch-engine all felt nicer too).

I'll have to plan one of these outings a month.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Previous owner took a $40K depreciation hit to keep this car a garage queen and I get to be the benefactor .
Best part of the story - as long as you aren't that guy.

To be so wise.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What you are hearing scraping is the tire air dam (in front of each tire). They are the lowest part of the car. They are designed to be replaced inexpensively. I constantly scrape mine on Old San Marcos Pass Road in Santa Barbara as we have some seriously tight turns that are also very steep.

Quick Reply: First extremely spirited drive...