Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2: Why almost nobody with Techart parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:06 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 997.2: Why almost nobody with Techart parts ?

I have not seen any 997.2 in this forum with Techart parts

I love most of the cosmetic add ons, except the side skirts, but I see nobody posting here pics of his/her car with such parts

I am thinking of adding some parts to make my car look nicer, although I noted the prices are extremely expensive

Is this the reason for the unpopularity of Techart parts on the 997.2 ?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This forum doesn't seem to be as "mod" oriented as some - e.g., 6speedonline.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taste.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree, this is not very mod oriented forun, but you won't see much Techart in general in 997.1 or 997.2 as much you did for 996 for instance as the cars are designed really well out of the factory, and GT3 parts can be used as OEM mods with much better fitment and quality, and without screaming *I am modded*!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why ruin a perfectly hot looking 997.2 Targa body with glue-on parts?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If it doesn't make the car go faster, turn sharper, or stop shorter I'm not very enthused.

I also find that all of the techart bodykit stuff I've seen is godawful ugly but your tastes may vary and that's fine. I like that we have diversity of opinion in that regard.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Difficult to improve on the responses above....they pretty well sum up my feelings on the subject.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default funny...

Let me try and actually help rather then add to this useless list of replies.....

Yeah you will find some deep rooted soles here that swear all they care about is performance.... and aesthetically could care less (yet they bought a porsche....yawn....) . Then others that like to strike a balance between having a unique car both in perf and in looks.... these people will be much more open and give better none bias advice IMO...and avoided the "I am super cool cause all I care about is performance" cool aid served up at the most recent concours event they attended

Techart makes some great parts but quite expensive....Personally not a huge fan of their aero parts but know many do like them...have you looked into factory OEM areo parts, gt3 nose, or other? Good alternative and readily available.... I have techart coil overs on my car and very happy with them...but also OEM aero parts as well as a hamman for aero parts.

Good luck in your search, but agree with some earlier posts that other forums maybe more open to your search, helpful and understanding in ones quest to mod their car...

If you mod please post pics, even here on Rennlist as we are not all purists on this site...

Your car will look much better then a bland stock 997 with the right parts.....pick what makes you happy and what looks best to you....enjoy your car and happy modding!

Tx
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the above comments. At some point, members on here start to think for themselves and not go with what everyone else says. Each to their own and make it what YOU want, I guess thats why there are so many options on the Porsche USA site.

jason
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Let me try and actually help rather then add to this useless list of replies...
A post isn't useless just because you don't agree with it. 964C4 asked why there wasn't any discussion of techart parts. Many of us explained why we are uninterested in techart parts. Question asked and answered. That's about as useful as you're going to get on a web forum.

...and avoided the "I am super cool cause all I care about is performance" cool aid...
That's all in your head. I don't care about cosmetic mods because I don't care about cosmetic mods. Doesn't mean I think I'm "super cool" or better than you or any of those other insecurities you're showing.

FWIW, I've never been to a concours event, either.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Nugget well put.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

As a Rennlist member since only 2005, I have found that this group is significantly more mature in their ideas about Porsches and their Porsches. What I mean by that is that the majority appear very pleased with the car as offered by Porsche. Certainly there is some interest in mods, but they are the minority here. 6SpeedOnline is significantly more modification oriented. That's where you can turn for more coverage about that.

Modifications to Porsches ultimately are a lose lose proposition for owners. As a long time Porsche owner (since 1974), I can tell you that the closer to stock a Porsche is the easier it is to sell it when it is time. Those that are modified incur a substantial penalty--not only in the loss of what the owner put into it, but a modification 'penalty.' Buyers generally want a car that has not been messed with. Of course, you can't tell the young guys that on 6Speed--it's something they will just have to learn for themselves.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Yeah you will find some deep rooted soles here that swear all they care about is performance.... and aesthetically could care less (yet they bought a porsche....yawn....) . Then others that like to strike a balance between having a unique car both in perf and in looks.... these people will be much more open and give better none bias advice IMO...and avoided the "I am super cool cause all I care about is performance" cool aid served up at the most recent concours event they attended
Ummm.....you seem a bit confused. No one here said that they "aesthetically could(n't) care less". In fact, I do care about aesthetics which is why I'm not that keen on most aftermarket add-ons. And concours events are, for the most part, all about cars that have been restored to or maintained in pristine original condition. In any event, they're certainly not where people go to be "super cool because all (they) care about is performance". The race track maybe, but not a concours.

BTW, I'm not sure what it means to be a "deep rooted sole", but I'm pretty sure you meant soul not sole. Soles are the things on the bottom of your shoes.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
BT2010
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoliers spoil cars - simple, and people that fit aftermarket body kits on 911's should have their heads checked.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Plenty to drink...

Enjoy...

best post yet and his 11nth.... "spoilers spoil cars...." ahhhhhh! As we can see by most Porsche 911 models I don't think Porsche Corporate shares the same sentiment....

and thanks for the spell check on the soles....

I can tell you for sure edgy01 that "modding" or not "modding" is NOT a maturity thing...Such a comment displays your ignorance. I know plenty of successful, well educated, mature people out there that like to mod... Personally I buy my toys/cars to enjoy and don't spend my days worrying about loosing some $ on resale or worshiping the mexico blue budha... (I do like that color though....)

drink up....

Concours level events are great , appreciate and applaud those that have a passion for keeping their cars stock...but have less tolerance for some (yes some not all) that carry the ugly elitists attitude that being a purist is better, smarter, or "more mature" then another car enthusiast.....pathetic that some hold this view...
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 10-06-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2: Why almost nobody with Techart parts ?