Stuck Horn/Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:38 AM
briweed
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Horn/Airbag

All,

need some assistance. I just replaced my PDK wheel with the paddle shift version. All was going well until I pushed the airbag back into place. It went in smooth, but once it clicked in it did not return to the normal position (remained fully pushed in). When I connected the battery and turned the key, the horn is blaring... I then disconnected the battery and tried releasing the airbag again. It will not release. I push and tap on the airbag when the release is open and it remains stuck. Anyone ever had this happen? Any suggestions?

thanks,
B
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry, wish I could help. It cost me $180 to have the dealer do my paddle shift wheel retrofit, but it saved me $1000 worth of potential aggravation. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
briweed
Track Day

I got it loose by pushing on it from the back of the steering wheel through the holes.... Working fine now.

thanks,
B
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

hey briweed, any particular issues with ressetting anything which needs the computer? You think it needs the dealer to put the paddle steering wheel on? sometimes i think we just make things more difficult than what they really are.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 AM
briweed
Track Day

Originally Posted by slicky rick
hey briweed, any particular issues with ressetting anything which needs the computer? You think it needs the dealer to put the paddle steering wheel on? sometimes i think we just make things more difficult than what they really are.
No. It is really easy to swap yourself. You just need to be careful when taking off the old wheel, not to move the ring that contains the connector for the electronics (it spins freely and is easy to bump). Once you have the wheel off (and assuming wheels were straight when you started the process and the steering wheel was straight when you took it off) you just place the new wheel on straight (the wheel and shaft are splined, so it is pretty easy/obvious as to if it lined up correctly. I have had no issues at all since the install. BTW, I really like the paddle shifters.

B
Old 09-30-2010, 09:40 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

thats good to hear briweed. i just ordered a wheel from suncoast. takes a bit of time since the color is sea blue. i think i will try to do it myself first and if problems occur i will call in the ghost buster.

Quick Reply: Stuck Horn/Airbag