Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK battery maintainer questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTEK battery maintainer questions.

Just needing to install a battery maintainer. I have a CTEK 3300 and it comes with eyelet clips. Can these be screwed directly onto the battery? Instructions are not clear. Not a big fan of electricity/explosions/electrocutions myself.

And, if I just need to use it now for a few days, where can the negative clamp be placed? Not too many parts of the frame visible within reach of the battery.

If anyone had a picture of their setup, I would appreciate it.

I probably should just get a cigarette adapter anyway.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

You can use the eyelets for a direct battery connection but the convenient way is to use the cigarette lighter connector. You can get that it HERE.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 PM
akw
Racer

+1 on the cigarette lighter connector. I had the eyelets installed for half a year before getting annoyed and going with cigarette lighter.

I got mine at Performance Improvements http://www.performanceimprovements.com/

Looks like they have store nearish to you.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 130 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll put in a vote for the direct connection. I keep my car cover in the frunk so it's very convenient to take out the cover and hook up the battery. I keep the lid unlatched in the garage so I don't have to constantly be latching and unlatching it. (The frunk light bulb has been disconnected) I didn't like the idea of running the lead into the cabin all the time, closing the car door on the cable, or running it through the window as you have to do with the cig lighter hookup. To each his own on that one.

Anyway, here's how I have things connected. It's semi-permanent in that I just put the cap on the connector and tuck it into the battery compartment when not in use. I have a similar hook up for a different CTEK unit on my Audi. On one of them I had to clip one of the eyelets to fit it properly; can't remember now which one.
Attached Images     
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Thanks for the pics. In order to attach the eyelets, i saw a video which said to disconnect the negative lead from the battery first, then screw the eyelet onto the positive, then the negative, then replace the negative lead onto the battery. Sorry to seem like a total electrical weanie, but can I just go ahead and touch the negative lead with a standard tool to unscrew it? I saw what the guy did on the video, and he survived, so I gather I can touch this without too much risk?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM
sigfla
3rd Gear

You TT cab has the most beautiful color combo I have ever seen. Had one like yours at the dealer when I picked my P car up.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

THe main advantage of removing the ground connector from the battery is to prevent an accidental short when you are working on the positive terminal (accidentally having a tool touch the terminal and the car). Other than that, connecting the leads is a no-brainer. I like mine, as all I do is open the hood and plug the charger into the connector. Doesn't seem any more inconvenient than plugging it into the lighter inside. I agree with sigfla, your colour combo is great.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
Thanks for the pics. In order to attach the eyelets, i saw a video which said to disconnect the negative lead from the battery first, then screw the eyelet onto the positive, then the negative, then replace the negative lead onto the battery. Sorry to seem like a total electrical weanie, but can I just go ahead and touch the negative lead with a standard tool to unscrew it? I saw what the guy did on the video, and he survived, so I gather I can touch this without too much risk?
keninirvine gives good advice. And yes, you can touch the negative terminal with a standard tool to unscrew it. Just don't touch the positive terminal at the same time!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Disconnect the negative first to remove the possibility of a voltage spike frying your ECM.

Any contact from a positive battery terminal to a conductive ground will produce a short (i.e. BIG spark)at the last contact point, even if the negative cable is disconnected.

BD
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

and don't stand in a bucket of water while doing it!

Seriously though, take precautions. Don't have dangling jewelry on and just take your time. It is not a difficult connection to make.

I still prefer the cigarette lighter method because I can do it without opening the hood. Just 2 seconds and I'm plugged in and can lock up the car to shut all the systems down.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Disconnect the negative first to remove the possibility of a voltage spike frying your ECM.

Any contact from a positive battery terminal to a conductive ground will produce a short (i.e. BIG spark)at the last contact point, even if the negative cable is disconnected.

BD
Please explain this for me. If the ground connection to the battery is disconnected, then there is no circuit to cause a BIG spark is there? (the conductive ground on the car is neutral because it isn't connected to the battery ground). Just curious.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Please explain this for me. If the ground connection to the battery is disconnected, then there is no circuit to cause a BIG spark is there? (the conductive ground on the car is neutral because it isn't connected to the battery ground). Just curious.
Yeah that's what I thought. Everything has the same electrical potential with the Neg cable removed.

I got the fry marks on an inner fender to show for it. Not a P-car thankfully.

As always YMMV.

BD
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember you can be the ground connection. Your tool, through you to the vehicle, or the ground itself. That is why rubber workshop mats over the fenders can help, and rubber soled shoes
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

cig adapter - dead simple...and no risk of death, apparently
Old 10-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevepow
cig adapter - dead simple...and no risk of death, apparently
Well, you only risk death the one time while installing the connector ......after that, if you're into the boot anyway like I am it's much easier than snaking the connector lead into the passenge compartment. TEHO.

Quick Reply: CTEK battery maintainer questions.