Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my 996, Looking at 997s. What's the difference between 997.1 and 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I have to say that after a day like yesterday here in Santa Barbara County you can keep your air-cooled cars. We routinely have very mild weather throughout the year, but yesterday I saw 100ºF as I left my house at 1 pm for a short 120 mile trip. At the top of San Marcos Pass a few miles away it was 104. Passing Lake Cachuma it was 109. In Solvang it was 111. Vandenberg AFB was 99. I've never seen such numbers in 40 years in the area. The car's vital statistics: indicated (as usual) 175ºF for coolant temp, and 200 to 225ºF for oil. Even when the OAT was 111 the engine oil purred along at 200ºF, with the a/c set at 68ºF (top up obviously). I wouldn't try that with a 993 for the life of me!

These new wasserboxers are handling extremes very well. One thing that is often forgotten on the 997.2 engines is their improved mileage. Not generally a decision point for a sports car, but not a bad bonus, either.
Dan, not to go OT, but you should be giving thanks each day for living in Santa Barbara. I'm in the rat race called the Northeast, but I've been to Santa Barbara a few times - and it is like fantasy land (the weather, the women, the attitudes, etc).

I knew I guy whose house was in the hills there (although it did burn down a year or ago in the fires - he is rebuidling on same spot), but he would say to me "see that house, that's Rob Lowe's, and see that house...." I guess the movie stars know he nice it is there and are willing to make the one hour drive north from L.A.!

I know, you pay for it in taxes and property values ! But I'm sure worth it.

Regards,
Todd
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree with everything said so far. As much as I miss my car after 10 good years, I can wait a year and pick up a great car for a lot less money than new. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? I will definately get the 997. I'm sure the 991 will be great, but the 997 will be a great step up from the 996 i'm used to. I will be keeping an eye on prices and deciding which options are really a must have from me. Speaking of options, What would be your top 3 options you would look for as a must have?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 996scott
I agree with everything said so far. As much as I miss my car after 10 good years, I can wait a year and pick up a great car for a lot less money than new. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? I will definately get the 997. I'm sure the 991 will be great, but the 997 will be a great step up from the 996 i'm used to. I will be keeping an eye on prices and deciding which options are really a must have from me. Speaking of options, What would be your top 3 options you would look for as a must have?
Options are a very personal preference. I went for more "sport" and less "luxury". Top 3 for me were PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, SPASM on my 997.2S. Lightest, fastest non GT/Turbo car - that I could live with daily. I also like having blue tooth, UAI (iPod) and Nav. I dont "need" the frills like full leather, stitching, carbon fiber, wood etc. But thats me.

Quick Reply: Sold my 996, Looking at 997s. What's the difference between 997.1 and 997.2?