Sponsored by:

"S" versus non-S Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "S" versus non-S Differences?

Other than the increase in horsepower and bigger brakes (at least I thought they were bigger) are there any huge differences in the cars like stiffer suspensions, equipment, etc...?

I was just trying to find a comparison between the two and have not not been able to isolate it.

From my readings the S's increased power is good on the track but in normal driving you its not that much of a difference. Is this true or no?

I wont ever be driving on the track so this is all about the street for me.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

my neighbor is cooler than me, he's younger, he's fitter, he's better looking, he's surrounded by pretty women all day and has a nice looking carrera.

i'm none of those things, so i needed to get an 'S' to at least try to keep up and maybe pass him on the back straight.

> hey bruce
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

The suspensions are exactly the same, and any difference in handling comes from the +1 tire size on the S.
So if you decide to upgrade the tires, they will handle exactly the same, so no compromise there. PASM (active suspension management comfort/sport) comes standard on the S though, and is optional on the non-S.
There isn't a "sport handling package" or similar as seen on Audi's or BMW;s, etc.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Road use? No big difference between the cars. It's about spending money. If you have it to spend and you think you deserve it you get the S. It's fun to spend money (not borrowed!) on yourself now and then.

Same thing with other products. Leather jackets, shoes, exercise machines: if you want extra features or more fancy you spend more.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
The suspensions are exactly the same, and any difference in handling comes from the +1 tire size on the S.
So if you decide to upgrade the tires, they will handle exactly the same, so no compromise there. PASM (active suspension management comfort/sport) comes standard on the S though, and is optional on the non-S.
There isn't a "sport handling package" or similar as seen on Audi's or BMW;s, etc.
Actually, the springs which come with the standard PASM package on the S are stiffer than the springs on the non-PASM basic car. The S with PASM is also 10mm lower.

And there is an optional Sport PASM chassis available on both the S and non-S which in addition to even stiffer springs and different anti-roll bars than regular PASM, also lowers the car a further 10mm and includes a limited slip differential.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Aaaah. So that's what you all are talking about when listing "SPASM"!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Other than the increase in horsepower and bigger brakes (at least I thought they were bigger) are there any huge differences in the cars like stiffer suspensions, equipment, etc...?

I was just trying to find a comparison between the two and have not not been able to isolate it.

From my readings the S's increased power is good on the track but in normal driving you its not that much of a difference. Is this true or no?

for street only use an 'S' has an attractive looking red calipers. 'non-S' has lame grey ones but anybody can get a $40 caliper paint kit and close this gap.

seriously, do not worry about all that. look at what is overall car`s condition, what options it got, if you like it or not.
keep in mind also - 'S' is more marketable, it is easier to resell. so you can bargain harder for a base car.

of differences - 'PASM' is standard on 'S', it also has self-adjusting bigger clutch, xenons are also standard, comes with 19" rims standard.
Visit your dealer and talk them into test driving an 'S' and base 997.1 cars and you will see. With 997.2 there are much less practical differences between 'S' and base.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

So a question about the brakes. Are they the same other than the red paint?

Xenon lights are a must. I have them on an Audi and would not buy a car without them. They are incredibly bright. Its good to know they are standard on the S.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are differences between the standard Carrera and the Carrera S.

However, many Carrera's are more equipped than a standard S.

If you get the 19" wheels and PASM on your Carrera, you will not notice
any handling differences. However, acceleration is a bit quicker in the S.

When I originally set out to buy a 997, I was looking for an S. However,
I found many S's that were pretty bare bones for options.

So, I found a 5,000 mile Carrera with PASM, 19" wheels, PSE, Sport Shifter,
and loaded with options. It was a one owner is absolute showroom condition.

I wouldn't trade it for any S, based on my driving experiences with both the
Carrera and Carrera S.

I would, however, take the bigger step and trade it for the right GT3.

My advice is to focus on the history and condition of the car and not
worry so much about whether it is a Carrera or Carrera S.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

S is wider ?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the S is any wider than the C2 from other posts here. The 4 and 4S are wider though.

The S does come with the big red brake package which is nice, but not really needed in daily driving. I actually like the regular disks as I can actually clean my wheels without rolling the car because my hand will fit between the caliper and the inside of the wheel.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive a base model and you'd be hard pressed to find the difference on track or street use. Throw some hoosiers on the car and then MAYBE the larger brakes would make a marginal difference.

If I were shopping again, I'd buy the same car for the same money I did a year ago and I track a lot. If you're buying a track car, get a GT3, otherwise the base or the S are both great options.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
S is wider ?
No, the S is not wider.

Only the 4 is wider, regardless of whether it is a Carrera 4 or Carrera 4S.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Selo
Aaaah. So that's what you all are talking about when listing "SPASM"!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by tincanman99

Are you looking to buy new or used? If used, 997.1 or .2?

Quick Reply: "S" versus non-S Differences?