Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time on track w/ 997.2S !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First time on track w/ 997.2S !!!!

I've done track driving w/ my old 98M3. I'd sworn it off for a while w/ my new 09 S for at least a few years cuz I wanted it to depreciate more, but my buddy w/ a 997.1S kept working on me. I finally went this weekend to Mid America Motorplex outside Omaha, NE.

I was really apprehensive about driving my new toy (09S I got new) hard on track - no surprise there! Then something about the vipers pissed me off and I forgot about driving not to crash and started really going at it. I hadnt passed so many people ever in my entire life in a DE. I had a great instructor who drove a 09 911TT.

This one viper that wouldnt give me the point by really got me going, I tried shoving my nose up under its ***, tried putting my front end in his passenger mirror then his driver mirror in the corners. It was when I caught him at the end of the straight because I could late brake much more than him, that I finally decided to not chase him anymore as he was a complete *** and wouldnt give me the point by. I slowed down for 1/2 a lap let him reel out and started chasing him down again.

I hadnt had that much fun driving on a track in a long long time. I hit my highest ever track speed of 125 right before taking Turn 1. I know I didnt drive a perfect line all the time but was hitting some and it sure made a diff going into the next corner. Turn 3 which is a decreasing radius was pretty hard for me and I didnt like the way my isntructor was having me do it. When he signed me off I tried a few different ones that felt better. All in all a great trip and gave me a huge new respect for my car. It just explodes out of corners, I get on the gas way earlier than I think I did w/ the M3. Just load that outside rear up and GOOO!!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad you had a good time but I have to say that sounds like some aggressive driving for a DE, not exactly what I've been exposed to in the DE's I've taken part in.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He wouldn't have had to have been so aggressive if the Viper would have just done what he was supposed to do.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CHV
All in all a great trip and gave me a huge new respect for my car. It just explodes out of corners, I get on the gas way earlier than I think I did w/ the M3. Just load that outside rear up and GOOO!!
...and so it begins. Thanks for the post, it takes me back to my first track day in my first 911. I had no idea what kind of car I owned until I had it out on the track. You really don't get the whole story on the street, do you? Glad you had fun. It was the first of many track days, I'm sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 PM
philyeh
Intermediate

No pics of your car in action?? =)
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like you, took my much modified M3 to Hallett many times but the 09 S, sport suspension, lsd, pdk, chrono plus is totally different experience. Loved the M3 but appreciate the much greater capacity of the Carrera. Bigger grins. Mine is also blk/blk which results in considerable detailing after track and that is also part of the fun.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CHV
This one viper that wouldnt give me the point by really got me going, I tried shoving my nose up under its ***, tried putting my front end in his passenger mirror then his driver mirror in the corners. It was when I caught him at the end of the straight because I could late brake much more than him, that I finally decided to not chase him anymore as he was a complete *** and wouldnt give me the point by. I slowed down for 1/2 a lap let him reel out and started chasing him down again.
I know how that is. Sometimes it's just that they're not paying attention. Sometimes they don't quite get it. Sometimes they actually have more ego in it than they should. It's nice to have someone to chase down, but it can get frustrating.

I'm glad you had a good time. 911s really reward early rotation and getting on the throttle early. It's all about the weight transfer.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 PM
CHV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Selo
Glad you had a good time but I have to say that sounds like some aggressive driving for a DE, not exactly what I've been exposed to in the DE's I've taken part in.
Whenever a lower hp car catches me I let them buy. I showed the guy my front end in all 3 mirrors, he didnt let me by & I backed off by 1/2 a lap. Didnt seem aggressive to me, but whatever.

Originally Posted by philyeh
No pics of your car in action?? =)
Working on that! There was a photographer, I just need to get the action pics.

Originally Posted by JFA65
Like you, took my much modified M3 to Hallett many times but the 09 S, sport suspension, lsd, pdk, chrono plus is totally different experience. Loved the M3 but appreciate the much greater capacity of the Carrera. Bigger grins. Mine is also blk/blk which results in considerable detailing after track and that is also part of the fun.
I LOVE Hallett! One of my favorite tracks. I agree. I am still cleaning my P car. It was heavy rain & hi of 56 deg.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:20 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Nice write up. You're car is mine's twin.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:52 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice writeup.

Let me know if you have the problem I have, that I get so used to the 997 and early on the throttle out of corners that when I get back into my M3 I'm always starting to lose the back end!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good time...track rage at it's finest.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Sorry, but nice mom jeans
Old 09-21-2010, 08:39 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHV
I've done track driving w/ my old 98M3. I'd sworn it off for a while w/ my new 09 S for at least a few years cuz I wanted it to depreciate more, but my buddy w/ a 997.1S kept working on me. I finally went this weekend to Mid America Motorplex outside Omaha, NE.

I was really apprehensive about driving my new toy (09S I got new) hard on track - no surprise there! Then something about the vipers pissed me off and I forgot about driving not to crash and started really going at it. I hadnt passed so many people ever in my entire life in a DE. I had a great instructor who drove a 09 911TT.

I hadnt had that much fun driving on a track in a long long time. I hit my highest ever track speed of 125 right before taking Turn 1. I know I didnt drive a perfect line all the time but was hitting some and it sure made a diff going into the next corner. Turn 3 which is a decreasing radius was pretty hard for me and I didnt like the way my isntructor was having me do it. When he signed me off I tried a few different ones that felt better. All in all a great trip and gave me a huge new respect for my car. It just explodes out of corners, I get on the gas way earlier than I think I did w/ the M3. Just load that outside rear up and GOOO!!
DUDE NO EXCUSE NOW FOR SKIPPING HPT NEXT WEEKEND
Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great fun!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
Sorry, but nice mom jeans
Oh come on - those jeans are fine. I have a pair just like them (seriously)...... Uh oh.

Quick Reply: First time on track w/ 997.2S !!!!