Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight loss of low end power/Torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 04:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Default Slight loss of low end power/Torque

Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced some loss of power at the low end.

My car's been acting werid, I have stalled it a few times, going over the same hills as I used to in 2nd gear, or even stalling at 1st gear when I wasn't revving the engine high enough.

Basically, it looks like I've lost some low end torque in the 1500-3000 RPM, the car pulls fine when I rev it (just as before) and no issues on the highway, nor any visual sign of engine issue, no engine check light, no fluid leaking, and everything sounds fine?!

Any ideas?

PS. This is on a 2007 997.1 C4S, with 11K miles.
Old 09-20-2010 | 04:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Boxers get better as they accumulate miles. Smoother, more elastic. Perhaps you have not driven enough. A check by an experienced P-car mechanic is in order.
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:41 PM
cbzzoom

I had something similar, and it was because of a clogged air filter and dirty MAF. That would be my first thing to check since you can do it easily at home.
Old 09-20-2010 | 08:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
I had something similar, and it was because of a clogged air filter and dirty MAF. That would be my first thing to check since you can do it easily at home.
Thanks will do! I was thinking of something along the same line. I know how to check for Air filter, but what about MAF? If it's dirty, can it be cleaned or needs replacement?
Old 09-20-2010 | 08:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Boxers get better as they accumulate miles. Smoother, more elastic. Perhaps you have not driven enough. A check by an experienced P-car mechanic is in order.
I don't put too much miles on the car, as I primarily don't drive to work. However, I do drive frequently, as this is my only/daily car, so it's driven at least every 2nd day.

I suspect something might be dirty, clogged.
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
...I suspect something might be dirty, clogged.
I do not doubt that. As I stated - boxers get better with age.
Old 09-21-2010 | 01:35 AM
cbzzoom

Thanks will do! I was thinking of something along the same line. I know how to check for Air filter, but what about MAF? If it's dirty, can it be cleaned or needs replacement?
Yeah you can buy "MAF cleaner" spray at any auto part shop. Read on RennTech about how to get it out and then just spray it all over.
Old 09-23-2010 | 09:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Not sure if anyone else has ever experienced some loss of power at the low end.

My car's been acting werid, I have stalled it a few times, going over the same hills as I used to in 2nd gear, or even stalling at 1st gear when I wasn't revving the engine high enough.

Basically, it looks like I've lost some low end torque in the 1500-3000 RPM, the car pulls fine when I rev it (just as before) and no issues on the highway, nor any visual sign of engine issue, no engine check light, no fluid leaking, and everything sounds fine?!

Any ideas?

PS. This is on a 2007 997.1 C4S, with 11K miles.
That's a pretty sick engine to stall in 2nd and even 1st gear around 1500 to 3000 rpms.

I doubt the air filter or MAF is the source of the trouble. You can check if it makes you feel better and I have been wrong before.

Does the stalling happen on flat ground under steady cruising speed, or just gong up or down hills?

If the latter then I suspect fuel pickup/supply.

Regardless of what it is it is unlikely to be something that you can fix yourself, so my advice would be to as best as you can know how to reproduce the symptom then take the car to a shop for attention.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-23-2010 | 09:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
That's a pretty sick engine to stall in 2nd and even 1st gear around 1500 to 3000 rpms.

I doubt the air filter or MAF is the source of the trouble. You can check if it makes you feel better and I have been wrong before.

Does the stalling happen on flat ground under steady cruising speed, or just gong up or down hills?

If the latter then I suspect fuel pickup/supply.

Regardless of what it is it is unlikely to be something that you can fix yourself, so my advice would be to as best as you can know how to reproduce the symptom then take the car to a shop for attention.

Sincerely,

Macster.
mostly uphill, but THE same ones that I had no issues with in the past going through in low RPMs and in 2nd gear.
Old 09-23-2010 | 10:49 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
I do not doubt that. As I stated - boxers get better with age.
I hope so. That means, in addition to my 997.2, my Subaru Legacy (winter car/part dd) will get better with age too!
Old 09-23-2010 | 11:01 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I second the fuel supply. fuel pump going bad, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pressure check valve.

It could be MAF or air filter but they'd have to be pretty bad. Usually the MAF doesn't get dirty until high miles unless you're driving through extremely dirty conditions or your air filter ripped.
Old 09-24-2010 | 03:55 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
I hope so. That means, in addition to my 997.2, my Subaru Legacy (winter car/part dd) will get better with age too!
Great car combination. Especially if you've got the flat 6 Spec B Estate, like me, what a smooth engine!!
Old 09-24-2010 | 02:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

mostly uphill, but THE same ones that I had no issues with in the past going through in low RPMs and in 2nd gear.
That the car has issues with terrain it didn't have issues with before is to me signficant.

The car had no issues with this terrain in the past cause it didn't have the problem it has now.

I assume the fuel level is *known* to be good? Adequate? Not even close to say 1/4 tank or lower? If any doubt top up the tank. The sender may be on the fritz and the fuel level can be way down and if in going on the fritz due to mechanical failure some sender hardware can possibly be interfering with the fuel pump and its pickup.

Or you can just take the car to a shop with a report prepared detailing the symptom and how you reproduce it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-24-2010 | 04:27 PM
atr911
Rennlist Member

Get the codes scanned. Just because the CEL doesn't come on doesn't mean that computer isn't registering a problem. Alternately, check the realtime numbers on spark and fuel delivery as the engine stalls.
Old 01-07-2011 | 01:09 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Alexb76, what was the outcome here? After my 1st day at the track yesterday, my car stalled twice yesterday (later in the day)...both times car was going up hill and in second gear. Both times, clutch was depressed and no gas being given at the time.

This doesn't seem exact to the symptoms of the HPFP failures...car starts fine.

Quick Reply: Slight loss of low end power/Torque