Sponsored by:

Week #2 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Week #2 thoughts

So I've been driving the new ride for a two weeks now and can give some initial newbie seat time reviews!

Specs:
2006 C2
18k+ miles
19" wheels
Bose Stereo
Power seats
Guards Red over black.

Review (coming from a 2003 C5 corvette):
This car is a much easier daily driver than my C5 was. The turning radius is great, especially for the dreaded parking lots at the office and shopping areas. The ride is firm, and seats are firm but very easy to deal with. The shoulder width is tight in the seats but not terrible.

I'm currently on P-zero tires. These are super noisy, but grip well in the dry and do OK in the rain. I did notice this weekend that the rear end will begin to swing nearing the exit of corners later than I would have expected for being so rear-heavy. The slide is easy to feel coming on and not difficult to correct for assuming you have room.

I'm not a track driver, and won't be accused of reckless driving anytime soon, but do enjoy a spirited romp on country roads in Northern MD on a regular basis.

The headliner does flap a little (in the rear) at highway speeds with the windows down which caught me off guard. Looking at how it is constructed it does not surprise me. It seems to be a fabric stretched over a wire frame, which will lend itself to some give.

I'm very pleased with the new car and am looking forward to a long relationship with this one! (the orange side markers have been swapped out already)
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Love the color - glad you're enjoying it!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpsRED
So I've been driving the new ride for a two weeks now and can give some initial newbie seat time reviews!

Specs:
2006 C2
18k+ miles
19" wheels
Bose Stereo
Power seats
Guards Red over black.
resist the temptation to rebuild this car for a little bit while you are getting used to it, until the end of the next running season at least. then after you get GT3 parts into its suspension it will truly transform into one heck of a car. C2 is a great platform to build up a very capable car.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear how well you like the car.

I just did 2 days in Pocono this past weekend with Riesentoter PCA

A nice event, with an excellent instructor.

I still can't get the smile off my face this morning. These cars are meant to be driven and thats when the fun really starts.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ironically like yourself its week 2 for me on my 07 C4s. I also just sold a C5 Z06 which i used as a down payment on my C4s.

I agree with you on most everything. One snag im having is that lack of low end torque has made me stall the C4s a few times but Im sure ill adjust. The handling and feedback are superb and overall fit and finish is incredible.

My Z06 felt like a souped up cavalier at times and i dont miss it at all. The 911 is truly a drivers car and fun factor is far higher in this car then the vette. I actually thought about the C6 Z06 but it wasnt a major improvement in my mind from the C5. It has torque over the 911 but everything else feels artificial and as someone stated the vette does feel like a bathtub.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up from a new owner. Sometimes these write ups are easier to understand for those of us who have not driven a 997.
Enjoy your beautiful 911, and I wouldn't change a thing on it !

jason
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I agonized over my search for months. I loved the Vette, but never really "bonded" with it over the 3 years that I had it. I appreciated it's heritage in the US. Everybody knew what it was, but wanted to race you...

It had gobs of power that could get you into trouble whenever you wanted to, but it just was not easily maneuverable in every day traffic and parking.

I had a long line of 2 seater convertibles over a 17 year period, but alas, had kids. So the vette just sat most of the time. Now I can toss the kids in the back and we all can giggle as we tool around town.

I looked at everything from BMW M3's through 996 P-cars, and came across my 997 and my gut told me that it was the one. Right color, price, location, maintenance records, CPO still in tact, etc.

All and all, the vette was a very good car, and if you get the chance, I'd recommend owning one or at least getting some serious seat time in one for a while. It is fun, but just not on par with a better built German car in my opinion. The fit and finish, interior pieces, etc. just don't stack up. Little things just added up to make a bit of a disappointment for me.

Vette lovers, Please don't take any offense. For me it was just time to make a change.

Quick Reply: Week #2 thoughts