Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensible, non-controversial, performance upgrades....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Go to a track event with an instructor.

There is more car than most of the population can handle.
+1 or PDE course.

I'm not as gung-ho about mods as some on the forums. The above consideration is the main reason why. It's like some flabby guy only 3 months into a weight lifting routine trying to take a bunch of supplements and crap from GNC when he's nowhere near the point of really benefitting from them.

Honestly I think most people have more $ than ability, and they're largely wasting their time with "mods" to the car.

Also, if people are extracting 100% of the car's ability on public roads, then they should probably be in jail (especially doing this sort of thing around corners, with potential pedestrians, other cars, etc.). So that means they must be a track junkies, in which case the track mods above are appropriate. Just my .02
Old 09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
+1 or PDE course.

I'm not as gung-ho about mods as some on the forums. The above consideration is the main reason why. It's like some flabby guy only 3 months into a weight lifting routine trying to take a bunch of supplements and crap from GNC when he's nowhere near the point of really benefitting from them.

Honestly I think most people have more $ than ability, and they're largely wasting their time with "mods" to the car.

Also, if people are extracting 100% of the car's ability on public roads, then they should probably be in jail (especially doing this sort of thing around corners, with potential pedestrians, other cars, etc.). So that means they must be a track junkies, in which case the track mods above are appropriate. Just my .02
Very well put.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Dottore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
+1 or PDE course.

You make a lot of assumptions!

I have a great deal of track time under my belt with air-cooled cars—but I do not intend to track this car for other reasons. My question was a simple one about meaningful performance enhancements.

No need to get on a soap-box.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dottore
OK. Here are a few from a long tour this past week.
Nice pics Mark. Looks like conditions were favorable for some great driving.

Hopefully your thread won't turn into a 7 page debate on why you should or shouldn't mod your car....... but another sensible, non controversial suggestion for street performance you've asked for ?

Junk your headers. Yet another hand me down from the 996 bin. Go X51 and get the proper diameter for your 3.8.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dottore
All good comments—thank you.

I have driven the car long and hard this past month.

One comment that resonates immediately is "stiffer rear sway bars". The car can feel a little wobbly in the rear in the twisties—so that sounds like a sensible upgrade.

I also like the thought of a lighter and better-breathing exhaust—and would welcome your comments on this. (I have searched the threads on this—but they're mostly about the sound.)
I wouldn't just change rear swaybar, they're designed in pairs.

PM me, I can send you info of where I saw the exhaust mod (in Van), you can check it out for yourself. I think they got the dyno results on file. Best guys around here.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that looks pure--Congrats!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Go to a track event with an instructor.

There is more car than most of the population can handle.
+1. seat time is sweet time and never controversial
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I wholeheartedly endorse the Bridgestone RE-11 suggestion. They've been my street tires on my GT3 for about 10,000 miles so far and I couldn't be happier. They're predictable, grip well, take to water like ducks, and even at 10K miles they're still holding up quite well and I expect to get even more miles out of them before the tread gets too shallow for wet. Highly recommended.

I ran P Zero (rossos) on my C2S and the RE-11 are superior to them in every way.
Are the RE-11's among the quietest tires for the 997? I have the OEM Pirelli's and they are loud on the crappy roads in NH. How do they compare on cost to Michelin's. I run Michelin's on my Volvo XC70 because they are quiet. My Volvo came with loud Pirelli's OEM.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Dottore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Are the RE-11's among the quietest tires for the 997? I have the OEM Pirelli's and they are loud on the crappy roads in NH. How do they compare on cost to Michelin's. I run Michelin's on my Volvo XC70 because they are quiet. My Volvo came with loud Pirelli's OEM.
Thanks
I have been investigating this issue, because I also hate the OEM Pirellis. I find them not just loud—but also very hard and skittish.

From the four brands popular where I live, I gather the scale from hard to soft goes like this: Pirelli P-zeros, then Yokohama Advan Sport, Michelin Pilot sport PS2, Bridgestone RE-11.

Most people here seem to trade their Pirellis for the Michelins at the first opportunity.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it seems the tires are your biggest concern, what exactly, Dottore, are you looking to improve upon? Do you want to change suspension? do you want more hp? do you need to change your ambers for clears (no one mentioned that yet )

I know the aircooled cars well myself and know that an extra 20hp through muffler/ssi/chip were great upgrades.. and usually made to help keep up with even faster (newer) Porsches. A 997 is pretty darn fast to start with
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my car from PO who opted for EVO headers and air intake with Fabspeed exhaust....
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Dottore
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the comments guys. Very helpful.

I'm much clearer now on the direction to go with this.

Quick Reply: Sensible, non-controversial, performance upgrades....