Sponsored by:

997 and IMS issue--Scary!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robingb
thanks for all of the replys. i suspect issue is overblown. however, as buckwheat confirms, there are reported problems with post 2005 cars. why else did Porsche contnue to upgrade and finally do away with IMS altogether in 2009. also, when you read LN engineering's own wrtie up about their upgrades, they themselves suggest they are not bullet proof. in re CPO's , my plan would be to own for longer than their warranties. there also will come a day that i will want to sell it and i would expect a IMS value hit then.
lastly, any chance that Porshce is covering IMS issues (ie, installing new engines) for cars out of warranty?
The IMS issue on the 997 is way over blown. Threads like this one just add fuel to the fire.

I've done searches on this forum and have not found one first hand report from an owner of an 06-08 997 with an IMS failure. There might be the very occassional second hand report, like Buckwheat's account of an '06 being in the shop when his car was there. Without a report being first hand from an owner, there's no way to confirm or ask questions about the car in question. Not saying it can't happen (knock on wood) on an 06-08, but I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Part of the problem is that isolated, random cam chain or other issues get stamped as IMS bearing probems, when they aren't. Just becomes spook stories to scare kids before bedtime.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody with an IMS problem with search out the internet and post their woes.

The 99% of people who have had no problem are silent as there is nothing to say.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Everybody with an IMS problem with search out the internet and post their woes.

The 99% of people who have had no problem are silent as there is nothing to say.
So?

I see these posts all the time when people start talking about IMS or unreliability.

That doesn't change the fact that if you count the number of posts complaining about IMS or other problems, it is still a perfectly accurate way of judging the reliability of a car. *Obviously* the people who have no problems aren't making posts all the time that say "yep my car is fine".

The fact is the internet gives us way better information about problems with cars than we have ever had before, thanks to the people who have problems and get out there and complain about it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
So?

I see these posts all the time when people start talking about IMS or unreliability.
Porsche sold about 80,000 911s in North America in the last 8 years.

Let's say there were 400 IMS problems (probably way more than there actually were). Are you going to make your buying decision based on 0.5% likelihood of you getting a problem?

My point is not that these things don't happen, my point is that it doesn't happen to 99.5% of people but you never hear from them so you think that it's a HUGE problem and one that you have to be aware of.

Statistically, there is a 1% chance of you getting your car stolen in a given year - much more than having an IMS problem. The forum doesn't reflect this - there are 10x more threads about IMS than about car theft.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I wast hinking about buying a 997. I now am not because of the IMS issue that seems to exist in all but the latest edition.. I can deal with high maintenance costs. I can't deal with catastrophic engine failure. Am I overreacting? Thanks again, Gary
Yes, you are overreacting.

The problem about Internet is that if we search enough, we can find scary stories on just about every make of cars out there, and we will scary ourselves much.

For example, when everyone thinks Toyota engines are reliable, I did have a catastrophic engine failure on my 1997 4Runner. I bought the car since new, and I had followed all the the maintenance details done by the same dealer. Still, its engine literally exploded when I was cruising on freeway, due to a faulty Connecting Rod Screw from the factory (as confirmed by the mechanics.) And my Toyota mechanic mentioned to me that he has seen similar problems on a few other 4Runner's.

Should my story scare you from buying a Toyota? No, neither should the IMF story scares you from buying a 997.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Name:  4runner1.jpg
Views: 4227
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 09-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Taxi?
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I haven't seen a lot of complaints on this forum. Having said that, one would never have thought we would see run away toyotas a few years ago. The one advise I keep hearing is,"buy the newest Porsche you can afford."
I'm not trying to hijack the thread but like the general consensus about the IMS "problem," Toyota's reliability issues may also have been over-hyped. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...y-driver-error

These days I try to rely on the old adage, "Don't believe anything you hear and only half what you see."
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 AM
ricster
Banned

No Issues with 2006 cars forward in all honesty. 996's were more prone to it. I have only seen the total failure on a boxster. If your really scared buy a 80's air cooled 911 with character
Old 09-11-2010, 03:12 PM
linklaw
Advanced

80s air cooled 911s have their own set of problems. Premature valve guide wear comes to mind as well as head studs stretching or pulling out. Exploding air boxes were also quite common, I recall as were collapsed timing chain tensioners.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

If you are a male over the age of 40 you likely have a higher risk of dropping dead from a coronary event than having an IMS failure on a 2006+ 997. No joke!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:49 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cpbmd
If you are a male over the age of 40 you likely have a higher risk of dropping dead from a coronary event than having an IMS failure on a 2006+ 997. No joke!
Can we stop with these speculation type posts that have absolutely no foundation in fact.

No one except PORSCHE knows what percentage of cars has had IMS problems. No one. Anything you hear or read is pure speculation.

All that is known is that after mid 2005 a reinforced IMS was used in the M96 engine.

As with any high end purchase you need to weight the costs of warranties vs the risk and your comfort level.

Last edited by buckwheat987; 09-11-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kuhan
...0.5% likelihood of you getting a problem?

... my point is that it doesn't happen to 99.5% of people .
If these statements of yours were anywhere close to the truth then Porsche would not even bother with redesigning IMS, would they?

It is funny how people make up idiotic "statistics" from the top of their head just to reinforce their kakamenie opinions.

The fact I KNOW is that my indy services ca.400 water cooled Porsches and saw over 20 engine failures. Maybe he is a Jonah, i dont know about that..
Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Janusz
It is funny how people make up idiotic "statistics" from the top of their head just to reinforce their kakamenie opinions.

The fact I KNOW is that my indy services ca.400 water cooled Porsches and saw over 20 engine failures. Maybe he is a Jonah, i dont know about that..
Your indy service guy saw 400 Porsches and saw 20 engine failures - so what? Over 5% of water cooled Porsches have engine failures?

The point I'm trying to make, which is clearly lost on many, is that if there is nothing wrong with your car that statistic is not collected. Your Porsche guy saw 400 cars - why were they there? Because there was something wrong with them! He didn't see all the ones that had no problems...

It's like going to a hospital to collect injury statistics and ignoring all the people who are pefectly fine. Forums are the hospitals of the internet - a place where people go to get advice when something goes wrong - not when there are no problems.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Kuhan, I am not trying to be nasty to you, I really don't but still I am compelled to answer.

1 - Your logic is flawed; there are average Porsche owners whose cars are SERVICED by my indy (see my post) and not COMING WITH A SERIOUS FAULT ONLY owners... except maybe such a hard core DIY guys who even change and balance their own tires.

2 - I do agree with your main point being that our cars are basically sound. What bothers me really, and I hope it is obvious in my post above, is when people make up silly and absolutely false "statistics" to "prove" how valid their opinions are.
Lets leave it to politicians, lobbyists, pressure groups and other idiots meddling with our lives badly enough as it is.
These parasites and their family members constitute 37.89% of the population already..
Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 AM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if anything can be done to reduce the risk of this happening?

Like maybe letting the car warm up before driving it etc.

It happened to a friend who was using one as an everyday driver, luckily he was still under warranty, but now I am out and this is scary!

THis would be like 30k, right?!

Quick Reply: 997 and IMS issue--Scary!