Sponsored by:

997.2S Issues with my lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts
Default 997.2S Issues with my lights

When I'm driving at night with my lights on (not brights just regular beams), I've noticed some strange happenings! If i go through a sharp left hand turn/curve, the lights/beams dip down. When the car straightens up, the lights go up and appear to almost be on high beams. When i make a sharp right hand turn, this does not happen. Last night I drove 15 miles of twisty's (Topanga Canyon) and noticed this on the whole drive. I am also noticing that my lights appear to almost be high beams and this movement up and down may be annoying cars I'm behind through the canyons.

I know my car theoretically has technology to keep the beams level under acceleration and braking. But am not sure why they seem to go up and down like that. Anyone have similar issues?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have the adaptive lighting on your car that turns the lamp focus as you steer left and right?

If so, you may be seeing that effect.

Remember, there is an angled shape to your low beams that rises toward the right (as its a right hand drive car). So the beam pattern looks like __/ __/. So when you turn the steering left, with adaptive lighting, the lights are aimed to the left, and as a consequence, you get more of the angling-up part of the beam 'in front' of you, as the beam is aimed further and further left. As you steer to the right, you get more of the left side of the beam in from of you, but thats all flat to the left, so no change of 'whats in front.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
When I'm driving at night with my lights on (not brights just regular beams), I've noticed some strange happenings! If i go through a sharp left hand turn/curve, the lights/beams dip down. When the car straightens up, the lights go up and appear to almost be on high beams. When i make a sharp right hand turn, this does not happen. Last night I drove 15 miles of twisty's (Topanga Canyon) and noticed this on the whole drive. I am also noticing that my lights appear to almost be high beams and this movement up and down may be annoying cars I'm behind through the canyons.

I know my car theoretically has technology to keep the beams level under acceleration and braking. But am not sure why they seem to go up and down like that. Anyone have similar issues?
Bi-xenons are self-leveling. You see their leveling mechanism working when the car bounces up/down. If they work correctly (and in my car they do) the other drivers are not disturbed.

Quick Reply: 997.2S Issues with my lights