Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end radiators.....protection needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010 | 11:22 AM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Default Front end radiators.....protection needed

I am getting my '07 997 next week and I am wondering if I should start searching for a grill or something like it to install in the front air intakes to protect both radiators from rock damage. I saw someone post a DIY method of doing this. Unfortunately I am not that handy. firstly do you guys worry about denting the radiator fins? Secondly maybe I should just forget it and drive the car. I will post pics as soon as I get it. Only 5400 miles on the car. I can't wait. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010 | 07:38 PM
cbzzoom

Forget it and drive the car IMO. The radiators don't get damaged by the pebbles that get in there.

Some people like to put grills on to keep things out. Personally I just stick my vacuum cleaner in there when I wash the car and vacuum the interior. It sucks out the pebbles and leaves and whatever.

Even if you do install grills, that doesn't keep out small rocks and other road junk, and it makes it much harder to clean.
Old 09-04-2010 | 07:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The most damage that we have really seen is from organic matter accumulating in front of the condensers. Perhaps that was what Porsche AG experienced as well during testing. Grills would possibly impede one's ability to access those areas with compressed air or a wash hose to rinse them out periodically.

If you do put grills on, you need to think about how you will periodically clear out the smaller stuff that will get in there. (I would opt for the pair of small trap doors on the bottom but Porsche didn't design that!)

There have been very few isolated cases of damaged a/c lines taking out the a/c system coolant--but they are truly rare.
Old 09-04-2010 | 08:21 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Wrong ! I had my car 3 weeks and the a stone hit the radiator, made a hole and it was a costly replacement. a better design is needed.
Old 09-04-2010 | 08:39 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

I also saw the potential problem so I built some for my '09 C2S. Material is steel grill mesh found at Home Depot in the gutter isle. The guards directly in front of the radiators are mounted inside the grill with tie wraps. The center one is built and installed with four homemade "L" tabs and screws so I can quickly remove the center grill so as to be able to clean the radiators. Took me one morning to cut the template, the actual material, paint them black and install them. Cost was less then $6.00 for materials and about 3 hours of my time. I will take pictures Monday and post them if anyone is interested.
Old 09-04-2010 | 09:18 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I also saw the potential problem so I built some for my '09 C2S. Material is steel grill mesh found at Home Depot in the gutter isle. The guards directly in front of the radiators are mounted inside the grill with tie wraps. The center one is built and installed with four homemade "L" tabs and screws so I can quickly remove the center grill so as to be able to clean the radiators. Took me one morning to cut the template, the actual material, paint them black and install them. Cost was less then $6.00 for materials and about 3 hours of my time. I will take pictures Monday and post them if anyone is interested.
I did the same on a different car and it worked great!
Old 09-04-2010 | 09:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Wrong ! I had my car 3 weeks and the a stone hit the radiator, made a hole and it was a costly replacement. a better design is needed.
Again, there are exceptions to the rule. It's not generally a problem. For those who have suffered from an errant strike--bad luck. Don't buy any raffle tickets for awhile.
Old 09-04-2010 | 10:06 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Great I will take a look at what you did and see if I can replicate it easily. Otherwise I am just going to let it go. I have to try not to be too OCD with this car. It can be difficult for me, however. Thanks
Old 09-04-2010 | 10:36 PM
royalpar1
Instructor

Lightbulb

Edgy, there is no such thing as luck IMHO. When you put yourself in position you have oppurtunities which you normally would not have. I am sure i am not the only person who paid to have a radiator fixed because it is NOT a warrantee issue.
Old 09-04-2010 | 11:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I would like to see a reasonable solution to this. The best of all worlds solution is the right sized screen(s) along with a simple method to either remove them or to dump the contents of whatever gets through them.
Old 09-05-2010 | 02:02 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by royalpar1
Edgy, there is no such thing as luck IMHO. When you put yourself in position you have oppurtunities which you normally would not have. I am sure i am not the only person who paid to have a radiator fixed because it is NOT a warrantee issue.

"there is no such thing as luck IMHO" - of course there is - chance/luck rules the universe. Everything is either likely to occur or unlikely to occur. The probability of a radiator being damaged is very low. Everything in life has a certain level of risk. Each one must decide what is the price to pay to reduce that risk. I prefer to accept the smal chance of damage and forgo the hassle of installing grates, which have periodically to be removed to clean the radiators anyway.
Old 09-05-2010 | 06:40 PM
cbzzoom

Do people with GT3's remove the grills to clean the radiators?

You can probably spray high pressure water through the grills I imagine.
Old 09-05-2010 | 06:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I'm one of those that has had significant damage from lack of protection; AC condenser with a hole through it the size of a quarter was $2,500 to replace.

It's a bad design, not bad luck.
Old 09-06-2010 | 09:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

as promised, a quick picture of my grills.

See previous post for details
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2010 | 09:33 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Man that is nice. What a professional looking job. I may have to attempt is although I am not a great DIY'er.

Quick Reply: Front end radiators.....protection needed