Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010 | 11:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Default Sport Chrono retrofit

My '09 C2S is an early production with PDK. Sport Chrono and its enhancement of PDK was not really advertised at the time so I didn't get it. I have recently asked my local dealer if it could be retrofitted even without the wart. Surprise he called me last week and said Porsche is now offering that and it is installed by VIN number. Includes new switches to give sport and sport plus as well as programming to enable the sport Chrono features. They have ordered the parts and will do it next week. Looking forward to the mod and I will report
Old 09-03-2010 | 11:55 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that 's good.
Old 09-03-2010 | 12:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Amazing. I wonder of you can order a car with SC but no wart. In the past that was impossible; you would be stuck with that silly dash-mounted aberration if you ordered SC.

Rejoice! Maybe all the complaints about the useless possibly-poser wart have gotten thru and future owners can choose to be free of warts!

BTW, you CAN remove the wart. Here's a better than nothing pic of what's underneath. Ignore velcro/plastic piece that's secured in there with red wires. That's a DIY method of getting velcro in there to offer attachment points for a electronic device.

Wart can be carefully pried directly upward from dash and will pop out. You can shove "clock" into cavity and fabricate a leather cover for hole in dash.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2010 | 01:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I like that Porsche is reasonably sensitive to what owners want, as they were with the paddle shift wheel and other upgrades, and are offering the retrofit for the sport chrono features. Of course it doesn't hurt that they can make a few more bucks doing it.

I continue to be amused by the hue and cry about the "wart". I suppose it would be nice for those who hate it for it to be optional, but personally I like it; it's a throwback to the classic use of chronometers in sports cars for rallies etc. and I occasionally use the timer. To each his own.
Old 09-03-2010 | 01:31 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
but personally I like it; it's a throwback to the classic use of chronometers in sports cars for rallies etc. and I occasionally use the timer. To each his own.
Yeah. I know. Me? I don't like having to explain it to passengers.

"Oh, niiiiice car! Then they immediately ask, "What's that on the dash?"

"It's a lap timer."

"Oh! I didn't know you race."

"No, some Porsche guys race."

"This doesn't look like a race car, such nice interior..., beautiful leather... ."

"It's not. Porsche just puts the timer in all their cars, wether or not owners will race them."

"Uh..., hummmm..., what do you mean? Why would they do that?"

"Uh..., I use it to time how long [my wife] makes me sit in the car when she shops."

"I'm confused, why have an egg timer so prominently sticking out on your beautiful leather dash?!"

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:47 PM
TooSixy
Racer

I have SC and I love the wart. It looks bare without one
Old 09-03-2010 | 02:47 PM
acao
Racer

Sport Mode Retrofit
Old 09-03-2010 | 05:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yeah. I know. Me? I don't like having to explain it to passengers.

"Oh, niiiiice car! Then they immediately ask, "What's that on the dash?"
I don't get that question. Maybe it's the sport buckets, 6 pt harness, harness bar, and extinguisher. If they were to ask about the lap timer, at least my explanation of what it is might make sense to them!

Originally Posted by acao
$1200? They're pretty darn proud of it! And that doesn't include labor. Still, if you don't have it, it's probably worth it.
Old 09-03-2010 | 05:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't get that question.
Usually for me it's "how come your clock is broken?"
Old 09-03-2010 | 05:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f4 plt
My '09 C2S is an early production with PDK. Sport Chrono and its enhancement of PDK was not really advertised at the time so I didn't get it. I have recently asked my local dealer if it could be retrofitted even without the wart. Surprise he called me last week and said Porsche is now offering that and it is installed by VIN number. Includes new switches to give sport and sport plus as well as programming to enable the sport Chrono features. They have ordered the parts and will do it next week. Looking forward to the mod and I will report
This is a great thing. As pointed out by Reply # 7, the kit is available from Suncoast, providing most, if not all, functionality sans stop-watch.

I always felt that cars without SC, especially PDK cars (regardless of what their owner thinks of the option), do suffer on resale. This kit update mitigates the problem and everyone is happy.
Old 09-03-2010 | 05:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nugget
Old 09-03-2010 | 06:07 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

not a bad price, for those who DEMAND it, now they can open their wallet...
Old 09-03-2010 | 06:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
Are people blind? Don't they distinguish a stopwatch from a clock?
Old 09-03-2010 | 06:30 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

No I am sure they dont... I am surprised he doesnt get the question "what is a lap"?
Old 09-03-2010 | 07:30 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by TooSixy
I have SC and I love the wart. It looks bare without one
+1

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono retrofit