Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS help

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 PM
GT John
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS help

I have searched the forum for this information but did not find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2008 C4S and I'm purchasing aftermarket wheels and new tires. I have purchased Porsche TPMS sensors to install in the new wheels so I can keep my stock wheels and tires intact. My question is do I need to do anything for the sensors to be recognized by the computer? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GT John
I have searched the forum for this information but did not find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 2008 C4S and I'm purchasing aftermarket wheels and new tires. I have purchased Porsche TPMS sensors to install in the new wheels so I can keep my stock wheels and tires intact. My question is do I need to do anything for the sensors to be recognized by the computer? Thanks in advance for your help.
Does the car currently have a functioning TPMS system? If so I expect the sensors will be after a while detected/recognized by the system.

The only thing that may interfere with this is if sensors come in different RF band flavors and the car's TPMS RF receiver either can't acquire the sensor RF signal on its own or can't be configured to listen on that RF band.

Did you ask the parts manager or senior parts department employee or speak with the service manager to learn what if anything else was needed -- like having the new sensors "introduced" to the car's existing TPMS -- along with the sensors?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When you swap wheels the TPMS will notice and complain. You'll have to use the TPMS controls in the onboard computer (the steering wheel stalk control) to reset the TPMS so that it stops complaining. You reset, choose the wheel size (18" or 19") and whether they're summer or winter tires. Then you have to drive a few miles for the car to figure out what's what. After a while the little (!) warning will go away and the car will be happy again.

You'll have to do this each time you swap wheels.

I go through this every time I put my track wheels on. It's no big deal, but if you don't drive long enough after the reset for TPMS so learn the new wheels you have to start all over again the next time you drive the car.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 PM
GT John
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys... And Yes I already have TPMS in my present wheels.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only caution is that sometime around 2008, Porsche changed the way the TPMS system works. The snow tyres from my 2006 997 didn't work on my 2009 997 without me updating the TPMS units in all 4 wheels (at some cost). Just make sure you get the right ones!! Hope this helps.

Mark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS help