Sponsored by:

toyo 888 vs b-stone RE-11

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by savowood
I assume your local guy is Paul at Radial Tire. I recently moved to Austin, TX and I still use Paul for all my tire purchases.

If it is Paul, I'm surprised he's out. He usually does a great job of keeping the popular sizes in stock. It could be something to do with the rumor of the R888 changes. However, the following story comes courtesy of a very similar situation. =-)

I was looking recently for some tires for my Jetta TDI Cup. I didn't really want the R888 on there, but I didn't want to use the crappy tires that came on the car. He suggested Toyo's R1R. I'm incredibly happy with them. Technically, the compound is the same. The belting and tread pattern is different. I haven't driven a better tire in the rain in a very long time. In the dry, they're very sticky, but the longevity is much better than the RA-1 or R888.

I like the R1R so much I put them on my Boxsera. Now I have a fantastic street/wet tire and a decent track tire. If you're really looking for "noticeable but acceptable" over "drastic", this is what I'd do.

-Michael
yep it's paul and i've dealt with him for years (as have many of us local PCA'ers)so if he says he cant get 'em, the country must be out of 'em! he expects them in mid sept. i called around to 10 or so other shops/chains hoping to get lucky that they might have a set in stock but no dice.

will be talking to him on monday, i'll ask him about the R1R. thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

.... It could be something to do with the rumor of the R888 changes.
Could you expand on the rumored R888 changes? Any word of what the changed will be and when they will happen?

I run either R888 or RA1's on my 2009 Carrera S as track tires...I drive the car to and from the track. RA1's in my sizes have been discontinued so I've got a couple left over sets and R888's heat cycle out a little fast.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My R888 or RA1 R-Comps go up 10-12 PSI at Sebring. Florida humidity and heat make it this way.
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought it wasn't so normal for the RE-11's to get so hot!

I always have my best times at the first few laps, as the tires get too hot I start loosing time
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by sin911
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought it wasn't so normal for the RE-11's to get so hot!

I always have my best times at the first few laps, as the tires get too hot I start loosing time
I've never driven RE11's but at the track after lap 3 my RA1's or R888 are fast but if I keep pushing every lap they can over heat...or build up to much heat and I back off to 7/10ths to bring them back for a lap or 2.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
savowood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Could you expand on the rumored R888 changes? Any word of what the changed will be and when they will happen?
The rumor I've heard is they're going to re-engineer something, ostensibly to help with the cycling. The problem with the R888 seems to be that although they're arguably better than the RA-1, the RA-1 gets better over time where the R888 heat cycles out too quickly. Many of the spec series racers are upset at the cost of tires over a season on the R888, when they used to get a lot more cycles, and faster the further down they went with the RA-1.

Not only is the R888 a little more expensive, it has to be replaced more often due to a falloff in performance. For the seriously competitive spec racer, they're spending more on rubber than they used to.

Again, the change is a rumor. It could simply be they're out due to spec racers with a desire to keep winning just bought out the stock.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

The rumor I've heard is they're going to re-engineer something, ostensibly to help with the cycling. The problem with the R888 seems to be that although they're arguably better than the RA-1, the RA-1 gets better over time where the R888 heat cycles out too quickly. Many of the spec series racers are upset at the cost of tires over a season on the R888, when they used to get a lot more cycles, and faster the further down they went with the RA-1.

Not only is the R888 a little more expensive, it has to be replaced more often due to a falloff in performance. For the seriously competitive spec racer, they're spending more on rubber than they used to.

Again, the change is a rumor. It could simply be they're out due to spec racers with a desire to keep winning just bought out the stock.
I use both R888 and RA1...currently on RA1. I like the stiff side wall of the R888 a lot and they are a great tire for around 5 DE's then like you said they start to fall off. I can feel the RA1's move around on me more but now that my RA1's have 3 DE's on them and are worn down to almost slicks they are an awesome tire.
I have to get the RA1's shaved or they are pretty much unsable for 2 or so DE's. However I drive back and forth to the track so I need some tread for the rain. I can run R888 at full tread. So for me tread vs heat cycle I get about as many DE's on a set of R888 as RA1. Driving on RA1 worn to slicks and it starts to rain is an awefull feeling. Make sence?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:28 AM
savowood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes perfect sense. That's kind of why I went to R888. Then, with more street driving and less worry about the last tenth at a DE, after all there's no trophy, I started using the R1R. I'm happy to give up the quarter to half second for the wet performance of the R1R and the streetability of it as well.

-Michael

Quick Reply: toyo 888 vs b-stone RE-11