997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiper judder

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

I've got 9k miles and original wipers on my car and they still operate smooth and quiet... up in the Puget Sound, where we get rain and the wipers are used. All I've done is wash the car with washing detergent, including the windows. No special window glass treatment other than drying with a chamois.

I'm still betting the climate/environment is the source of the problem. If you are in hotter climates the ozone in the air will degrade the rubber of the wipers much more quickly.
Old 08-19-2010 | 06:09 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

so there is a possibility that 1) the glass is too clean 2) the rubber material is not suited for the envorinment the complainants are at. im from a tropical country - hot and humid. how about the others?
Old 08-19-2010 | 09:43 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I get this problem occasionally and it's always because the rubber has deteriorated due to environmental exposure. Where I live, lifetime of a blade is a few months before there is noticeable deterioration (streaking or juddering). Replacement fixes the problem. Also, some aftermarket blades are more prone to this, so stick with Porsche OEM blades.
Old 08-22-2010 | 09:39 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

ok this might be a stupid idea but for some reason my drivers side wiper blade is inverted. meaning the wing is on top. i checked pics and my other cars and the wing should be at the bottom. i simply removed the clip which is easily removable and inverted the wiper... hasn't rained yet so i dont know if this will work. maybe they assemble the clip and wiperblade at porsche before installing and sometimes the wiper gets installed inverted. i dont kow im just guessing. but it could be so simple that it is often neglected... wing should be at the bottom
Old 08-22-2010 | 09:40 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

rijowy can you check yours. i recall you also had the same problem
Old 08-22-2010 | 09:43 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

libr's idea will also be accomplished by this move. im keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it rains soon so i can test it. funny most owners dread the rain to use their pcars. im anxiously waiting. and as the saying goes ' the more you wait the more it does not come" and the sun is out...has been raining the past week in my tropical paradise
Old 08-22-2010 | 11:44 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Those that dread the rain, can run the waterhose on their windshield at the next wash and test their wipers
Old 08-23-2010 | 06:56 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

thats an idea but running the car in real rain is different bijan. my other car for example. the first few times the wiper wipes its perfect. clear and quiet...after a while though the blades start squeaking. very annoying blades are new and windows clean... the pcar works the first few times but after a while you notice the judder.
Old 08-23-2010 | 08:37 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slicky rick
thats an idea but running the car in real rain is different bijan. my other car for example. the first few times the wiper wipes its perfect. clear and quiet...after a while though the blades start squeaking. very annoying blades are new and windows clean... the pcar works the first few times but after a while you notice the judder.
Same here. This weekend I did the clay bar and some light polish to take off any other contaminants. It's supposed to be sunny this week, so I'll have to wait until it rains to see if that helped.
Old 09-06-2011 | 10:50 PM
Black Seal
2nd Gear

Default Did anyone ever figure how to fix this?

I too have this issue with both wiper blades...windshield is clean and wipers are new. Was stuck in torrential rains today and had the "juddering" the whole way home.
Old 09-06-2011 | 11:21 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Happens every time it rains. Terrible until the rain gets going enough to keep the wiper blades well lubricated. The only thing that (sometimes) works is to run the wipers at top speed even if it's only raining a little.
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:02 AM
acao
Racer

The rubber blade is supposed to deform under pressure while on the windshield. By being pressed down, the blade drags so that the contact surface trails the blade arm. When the arm sweeps back in the other direction, the blade curve/deformation should flip so its trailing relative to the return motion. (Think squeegee).

If the rubber is too stiff to make a curved trailing contact surface, it will skip.

If the wiper arm isn't pressing the blade firmly enough against the glass, there won't be enough deformation to make a trailing edge and it will skip.

If the wiper arm is pressing the blade too hard against the glass, the blade won't be able to flip on the return motion, and by pushing against what was the trailing edge, it will skip.

If the blade is not making even contact across its length on the glass, the trailing edge won't form correctly across the whole length and it will skip.

I think the latter is the most likely scenario. The windshield is curved, and the blade surface isn't making good, even contact across the entire length.
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:04 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

I knew there was a reason I moved to Nevada
Old 09-07-2011 | 12:40 AM
DLennox
Banned

My car has wiper blades?
Old 09-07-2011 | 01:54 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DLennox