Sponsored by:

Secondary Muffler Bypass - Impressions and Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Muffler Bypass - Impressions and Video

Not too long ago, I received a set of Fabspeed secondary muffler bypass pipes. With nothing to lose and a little extra time, I removed the two side mufflers and replaced them with the small pipes.

Installation: I was lucky enough to have access to a full lift and set of tools, and I'm very thankful I did. Several of the bolts are rather high up and hard to reach, even with the car 6 feet in the air. A bracket reinforcing the bumper had to be removed temporarily to allow the cans to drop out, as well as about 8 bolts per side. Make sure you have a socket extension, some lube (for slipping the pipes back together) and a couple of free hours. One person could perform this, but much easier with two, one holding the muffler as it comes loose.

Performance: I have yet to weigh the previous mufflers, but I estimate they are a good 20-30lbs each. The weight difference is noticeable while driving, back end seems to glide over bumps more, and back doesn't seem to swing around as much when it comes loose (could just be my imagination of course). Overall, car feels lighter to me and a bit more nimble. Low end torque is definitely decreased (not my imagination), but up top (4k+ RPM), the car has some more punch to it. Around town driving I noticed a 2-3MPG drop, but highway and spirited driving has increased by about the same amount. Car seems much more rev happy and quicker to climb in RPM.

Sound: If you're using this car as a daily driver, or you're the type of person who just likes to go for a quiet sunday cruise, this mod is not for you. While not nearly as loud as a GT3 Cup or RSR, this WILL wake people in the neighborhood up if you go blasting down the street. Low end has a lot of drone and grumble, but anything 3-4k+ sounds amazing. In tunnels, I am forced to shut windows, and you may get a soar ear if you open it up driving next to a jersey barrier. Highway driving (PDK keeps RPM at about 2.5k) is rather bothersome for long distances, due to the drone, but fine for shorter trips. At first, I felt it was much too loud, but after living with it for a few weeks, I've done to enjoy it. IMO, this is what Porsche should have been shooting for in their stock exhaust, instead of the Prius sound the standard system emulates.

Video clip for anyone intersted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJnXbUAtNs

Quick Reply: Secondary Muffler Bypass - Impressions and Video