Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low-mileage 997.1S vs. high-mileage 997.2S ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Buddha
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low-mileage 997.1S vs. high-mileage 997.2S ??

Hello, I'm about to upgrade from my 964 to a pre-owned 997 and I have a dilemma I'd like your help with.

In my price range, I can choose from a range of nicely-optioned MY2008 997.1 S cars with 10-20K miles. Yesterday, I came across a 997.2 Carrera S with 45K miles. It looks well kept, has the right color, but is slightly less optioned (no sport seats, partial leather interior) and the higher mileage makes me a bit uneasy. The car has a CPO warranty that runs out at the end of this month.

Provided that the price is the same and I'd be buying/extending a CPO warranty for whichever car I decide on anyway, would you go for one of the lower-milage, well-optioned 997.1 S cars or this higher-mileage 997.2 S?

Thanks for the opinions.

-----------------
1990 Carrera 4 Marine Blue/Linen
1996 Carrera 4S Polar Silver/Black
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you driven both? Does the extra power in the newer 997 feel significantly different? Does that even matter to you?

If the options in the .1 make driving it more enjoyable, then that purchase might make better sense. If you get better driving enjoyment (and can notice a difference) in the .2, that might be your better option.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both manual cars or is the 09 a PDK?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddha
Hello, I'm about to upgrade from my 964 to a pre-owned 997 and I have a dilemma I'd like your help with.

In my price range, I can choose from a range of nicely-optioned MY2008 997.1 S cars with 10-20K miles. Yesterday, I came across a 997.2 Carrera S with 45K miles. It looks well kept, has the right color, but is slightly less optioned (no sport seats, partial leather interior) and the higher mileage makes me a bit uneasy. The car has a CPO warranty that runs out at the end of this month.

Thanks for the opinions.

-----------------
1990 Carrera 4 Marine Blue/Linen
1996 Carrera 4S Polar Silver/Black
i do not think 45K miles is a lot for a 997 car in general but it is quite a lot for 2009 car. Car was definitely driven in a winter. May not even got a single oil change yet. So it all depends of who was actually using it and to what degree, highway miles are not too bad for a car but, you see, you loose your primary warranty at 50K miles and even if CPO is a good thing it does not cover as much as primary warranty does. other downside - on a manual 2009 car what driven 45K miles already - you may need to replace clutch soon. frankly I am not sure who and how can put almost 50K miles on a car in a single year. it does look a bit odd.

if it is a 2009 CPO car i do not understand - how it can 'run out' at the end of this month? my 2006 car CPO warranty will end in 2012, how can 2009 CPO expire so soon? you probably misunderstood something.

i would go for 997.2 car of course. usual stuff has to checked - DMI scan for over revs if it is a manual 6 speed, presence of sport chrono if it is PDK, during PPI try to stand next to mechanic and observe how car looks from down below, make them do paint depth scan, usual stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gen 2 is much improved with the new engine I think. If that 09 is already a CPO, or will be when purchased, in the US that means extending the warranty from four to six years and mileage up to $100,000 miles. Maybe Europe is different. I am defintiely a fan of the Gen 2.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i do not think 45K miles is a lot for a 997 car in general but it is quite a lot for 2009 car. Car was definitely driven in a winter. May not even got a single oil change yet. So it all depends of who was actually using it and to what degree, highway miles are not too bad for a car but, you see, you loose your primary warranty at 50K miles and even if CPO is a good thing it does not cover as much as primary warranty does. other downside - on a manual 2009 car what driven 45K miles already - you may need to replace clutch soon. frankly I am not sure who and how can put almost 50K miles on a car in a single year. it does look a bit odd.

if it is a 2009 CPO car i do not understand - how it can 'run out' at the end of this month? my 2006 car CPO warranty will end in 2012, how can 2009 CPO expire so soon? you probably misunderstood something.

i would go for 997.2 car of course. usual stuff has to checked - DMI scan for over revs if it is a manual 6 speed, presence of sport chrono if it is PDK, during PPI try to stand next to mechanic and observe how car looks from down below, make them do paint depth scan, usual stuff.
The OP is in Europe. The original factory warranty in Europe is for two (2) years. However, they CAN buy additional CPO warranty coverage from the dealer.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Buddha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docfink
Have you driven both? Does the extra power in the newer 997 feel significantly different? Does that even matter to you? If the options in the .1 make driving it more enjoyable, then that purchase might make better sense. If you get better driving enjoyment (and can notice a difference) in the .2, that might be your better option.
Those are really good questions. I haven't driven any of them yet, in fact I've never driven anything newer than a 993 :-) All these cars are in Germany, 6-hour drive from where I live. I don't think the extra power really matters, what attracts me to the 997.2 is the (IMHO) better looks, new engine technology, the touch-screen PCM, and those Carrera S II wheels. But it's probably a good idea to drive them and see.

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Both manual cars or is the 09 a PDK?
They're both manual.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i do not think 45K miles is a lot for a 997 car in general but it is quite a lot for 2009 car... other downside - on a manual 2009 car what driven 45K miles already - you may need to replace clutch soon. frankly I am not sure who and how can put almost 50K miles on a car in a single year. it does look a bit odd..
The car was first registered in July '08, so it's 2 years old. It is a former "werkswagen" - a factory car driven by one of Porsche employees in Stuttgart. Still, it's a lot of miles in those two years, although my guess is they're mostly autobahn miles... Also, good point about the clutch.

Thanks for everybody's opinions so far.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was offered a sweetheart deal on a 2009 C2S cab when I was last shopping (March 2009).
For me, the 997.1 S engine sound is sweeter and I don't really notice the power difference too much.
I'm not a fan of LED taillights, but the DRL are catchy.

I ended up with a pre-owned 2006 and saved big bucks.

If they had both been the same price but with a mileage difference like you said, I'm not sure the .2 would be enough improvement.... However, if it is owned by a Porsche employee, he probably took care of it pretty well (servicing must be free for them at the dealer across the street from the factory).
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

How long do u plan to keep the car? If for a long time, I'd go with the car that has the right options you're looking for. Since both are priced similarly, it means they will probably depreciate similarly as well. That's why I asked how long do you plan to keep? If you plan to keep 3-4 yrs and add another 30K miles, the 997.2 would be 75K miles and that's very very high for a Porsche.

At the end of the day, as long as both warranties are the same and cover you, it comes down to personal prerference.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

75K miles is high only from a resale perspective. For the car itself, it's nothing.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
75K miles is high only from a resale perspective. For the car itself, it's nothing.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I think the jury is still out on the 997.2 engine. There are still issues surrounding the direct injection system as used in the 911.

Go with the cleaner car, whichever it may be if the engine issue is a non-issue for you.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I think the jury is still out on the 997.2 engine. There are still issues surrounding the direct injection system as used in the 911.
Didn't know that. I do hope they figure it out, as I would enjoy a 997.2 with PDK one day.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Go with the cleaner car, whichever it may be if the engine issue is a non-issue for you.

Really...what issues?

thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

All direct injection engines, whether Porsche, BMW, VW, others....., have issues. There issues with the fuel pumps,injectors and carbon buildup in the intake area. These are unresolved issues with every brand of vehicle using this fuel system design. I have a BMW 535 and have some of these problems. Yes, these systems offer a bit more hp and a bit more mpg but after spending some big $$$$ I do not want ot have these annoyances. True, the 997.1 has the IMS but the catastrophic failures are very rare. In addition the 997.2 uses a different process to achieve the cylinder surface. I am not sure if this is the reason for the reportedly higher oil consumption. The oil consumption issue does not bother me as much as a car that doesn't run right. Also, I did not buy my 911 for things like LEDs or a leather instrument panel. I just want to drive it without headaches.

I would just focus on a car that is in good condition and looks like it has been cared for.

Quick Reply: Low-mileage 997.1S vs. high-mileage 997.2S ??