Sponsored by:

Question re: swapping non-TPMS vs TPMS wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question re: swapping non-TPMS vs TPMS wheels

I am looking at purchasing a separate set of wheels to use just for track days. These wheels do not have TPMS sensors. I reallize that when these wheels are mounted that there will be an error message displayed on the dashboard. I can live withn that for a DE weekend. My question is, when I re-install my TPMS equipped street wheels, does the system have to be re-set and go through the learning process again or will it immediately recognize the wheels from before the swap?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

tons of stuff on here about that. my experience is that it may re-recognize the sensors without going thru the OBC. but i noticed that if i dont manually reset, it would sometimes have probs recognizing them the NEXT time i turn on car. weird, so i just manually reset as a rule and am done with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does need manual reset. When I switch between winter and summer wheel/tire setup I always do manual reset.

John
Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 997.1 and change my street wheels & tires every few weeks to my autox wheels and tires at home and drive to the event. After changing to my autox tires, I get the warning light after driving about 2 miles. During the autox event I never get a warning light. I guess that is because I have only driven the course which is a very short distance.

When I change back to my street tires, I only need to drive a few blocks when all is normal again. That is, I'm able to see the PSI again and no warning lights.

Harvey

Last edited by Harvey in FL; 07-27-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
I have a 997.1 and change my street wheels & tires every few weeks to my autox wheels and tires at home and drive to the event. After changing to my autox tires, I get the warning light after driving about 2 miles. During the autox event I never get a warning light. I guess that is because I have only driven the course which is a very short distance.

When I change back to my street tires, I only need to drive a few blocks when all is normal again. That is, I'm able to see the PSI again and no warning lights.

Harvey
Same as my experience. Whenever the wheels are removed/changed etc., the system takes a while to recalibrate and settle down again. Sometimes "a while" may involve a few separate outings before the error disappears.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

997.2 notices and relearns within a mile or less. 997.1 I don't know my 997.1 didn't have tpms.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Both my 997.1 and .2 automatical reset when I put my stock wheels with TMPS back on.

Also BTW...it is totally useless to get TPMS for your track wheels because on the track with r-comp tires you are normally starting out cold at around 28/29 psi for a hot temp of 37/38ish psi and TPMS will show that pressure is too low.

Quick Reply: Question re: swapping non-TPMS vs TPMS wheels